Quantcast

yee-haw! '05 NORBA & WC Schedule

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
DHanamal said:
I do like the idea that they're condensing the race weekends to Fri-Sat-Sun. I assume that amateur DHers will have either a 4X or DH race on Sunday? I just hope that the race organizers won't get overloaded with events with one less day.
They will probably race the beg/sport at the same time as the experts like they did this year. I don't know how that will work at a mountain like Mount Snow though where the courses use 2 different lifts.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Oh, I hadn't noticed that 3-day thing. That's cool; if you don't wanna miss much work you can leave Thursday nite and still get a full schedule in, and only have to take off Friday. That rocks. :thumb:

Jeez, two things that rock? Who's in charge over there now?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
SinatorJ said:
I may consider Mt Snow, I will NEVER go to Snowshoe again. That place left such a bad taste in my mouth, as well as destroying my bike everyime that I go. I never thought that I would see a flat dh course on such a cool mountain.

Phhhffftttt. :mumble: You didn't even race it this year. ;)

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
DßR said:
Oh, I hadn't noticed that 3-day thing. That's cool; if you don't wanna miss much work you can leave Thursday nite and still get a full schedule in, and only have to take off Friday. That rocks. :thumb:

Jeez, two things that rock? Who's in charge over there now?
I agree.
That is going to keep me from complaining about the back to back stuff.
I was looking foward to moving up to semi-pro just because the first practice is not until Friday. Now its like that for everybody.
There is some positive changes going on for sure!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Jeremy R said:
I agree.
That is going to keep me from complaining about the back to back stuff.
I was looking foward to moving up to semi-pro just because the first practice is not until Friday. Now its like that for everybody.
There is some positive changes going on for sure!
Semi-Pro....you? you'll just do like every other semi-pro over 25 and get fat and lazy and lose your motivation.... :oink: :oink: :oink: :oink: :oink:

Dylan

Monkey
Jan 25, 2002
San Diego area, California, USA
TheInedibleHulk said:
actaully it makes alot of sense, and it would suck alot more if you had to make two seperate trips to the same region. The two weekends in a row thing is done intentionally so out of towners can do both in on road trip. Given, its hard for most people to get off work for that long, but norba has to take care of the pros, and their costs would skyrocket if it was done differently.

but then again, even though Team Big Bear has taken over all the day-to-day & logistics of the series....

THIS IS STILL NORBA!

can u say "Crystal Mtn!!! Washington!" hahaha j/k

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
About the three-day thing, isn't that how Snowshoe has done it for the last couple of years? Are you guys taking into account that the published schedules are usually for the event days, and do not reflect practice-only days?

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
bizutch said:
sure am. you interested bro? it should be under complete bikes and the main general category.

I suck at "links"
Ahh found it!
I might be interested. I gotta see how much change i got in the jar above my fridge.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
Repack said:
About the three-day thing, isn't that how Snowshoe has done it for the last couple of years? Are you guys taking into account that the published schedules are usually for the event days, and do not reflect practice-only days?
From the Velonews.com Article:
Next year's NMBS events will be slightly streamlined. There will be no downhill qualifying ("It's a waste of time," said Frost. "We'll do seeding based on series rank."), and event schedules will be shortened from four days to three.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
DHanamal said:
From the Velonews.com Article:
Next year's NMBS events will be slightly streamlined. There will be no downhill qualifying ("It's a waste of time," said Frost. "We'll do seeding based on series rank."), and event schedules will be shortened from four days to three.
That can still mean one of two things. Snowshoe has had a 3-day race schedule. This does not take into account Thursday pratice.
I am guessing that things will still go from Thr-Sun at all the races this year. I do not remember much happening on Thursday racewise anyway. If all the mountain run the DH races-Snowshoe style, and then do not have pro DH qualifying, then things will go MUCH faster.
I wonder if they will just use this years final standings to fugure out seeding for the first '05 race.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
damn i was really hoping to race durango next year.

definitly a step in a good direction. West Virginia should be sick! Even if they run that same course that one flat section probably wouldnt be 'that' bad if it was dry.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I can fully understand it from the perspective of attracting riders from other parts of the country b/c they could hit both venues in 1 weekends time. A few years back the biggest complaint from everyone following the Nationals was that they had to go back home after a cross country trip.

If you're a privateer putting in the effort to compete in this series, it is the most travel friendly schedule ever. You could basicly hit each National in geographic clumps and knock out 2 at a time. If they were more spread out, you're talking a BOATLOAD of either downtime between venues...or cross country trips playing catchup.

It still sucks for me to have to go to Snowshoe and Mt. Snow back to back b/c I have to drive back and forth twice...but for the privateer, it's an easy 2 week road trip.

If NC is added, you're talking getting to drive straight up connecting dots and "BANG" you've knocked out 3 of the 6 Nationals without putting more than 1500 miles on your car. That's a good thing.

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
The August race and the National Championships are still undetermined. I have heard NC for August - what do you think about the championships? I noticed Mammoth and Durango are not there.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Threepointtwo said:
The August race and the National Championships are still undetermined. I have heard NC for August - what do you think about the championships? I noticed Mammoth and Durango are not there.

NC in August, that sound like fun. :rolleyes:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
buildyourown said:
NC in August, that sound like fun. :rolleyes:
what's with the roll eyes? you do realize we have 1500 foot elevation ski resorts here. The snow sucks in winter but the elevation is there!

as for Durango or Mammoth for the US Championships, my gut tells me Mammoth...location, size, attractiveness, amenities, ridership attendance, nostalgia. But there was a big "IF" of having Mt. Snow host them at the start of the year...looks like that is not going to be the case if they have the finals of the series.

Let's see- my calender for next year....Mt. Snow, Snowshoe, Sugar, US Open, Snowshoe Mayhem, Windrock, WOlf Laurel twice...yeah..that rocks! :thumb: And then US Championships where EVER they are.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
just to fuel things, I just read this in the email I got from Sugar a while back about Frost's visit in mid-october

"We will host a National next Aug. pending the site inspection approval."

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
bizutch said:
just to fuel things, I just read this in the email I got from Sugar a while back about Frost's visit in mid-october

"We will host a National next Aug. pending the site inspection approval."

OMG, I hope we do whats necessary to make it a sucsess. I'd talk with lots of folk including those at Snowshoe and YES I'd even talk to Joey about getting an awesome course in shape by then. Not the same old bottom trail. I like the sound of the top section, maybe more?????

What about the lift? Can it be fixed by then?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
dude, they've got 2 side by side lifts that run the full length of the mountain. There's nothing to "fix". They run that one lift off a diesel engine in the summer basicly as a courtesy and to give the winter help something to do in the summer months.

Come National time, they would just run both lifts off electric and "get 'er done". :thumb:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
bizutch said:
dude, they've got 2 side by side lifts that run the full length of the mountain. There's nothing to "fix". They run that one lift off a diesel engine in the summer basicly as a courtesy and to give the winter help something to do in the summer months.

Come National time, they would just run both lifts off electric and "get 'er done". :thumb:

Cool, I didn't understand that was why they were so slow. :dancing:

But seriously, I hope Sugar takes this seriously. I know they run a great 'local' race (expect the Saturday 10:00am DH race time :rolleyes: ) and it would be rad to have a yearly national so close to home. Lets do what it takes to keep this thing on the schedule year in and year out.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
profro said:
Cool, I didn't understand that was why they were so slow. :dancing:

But seriously, I hope Sugar takes this seriously. I know they run a great 'local' race (expect the Saturday 10:00am DH race time :rolleyes: ) and it would be rad to have a yearly national so close to home. Lets do what it takes to keep this thing on the schedule year in and year out.
Ha, I just hope Norba brings their own timing.

"You have one minute." (5 seconds later)
"You have 30 seconds." (about 40 seconds later)
"Uh umm, uh 5,4,3,2,1 GO! " said in about 2 seconds.
Thx.

I am going to be waiting all winter, just to unleash a hurricane like fury on that mountain next time I ride it. :devil:
Nothing like a little pent up rage to get ya through the offseason. ;)

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
profro said:
OMG, I hope we do whats necessary to make it a sucsess. I'd talk with lots of folk including those at Snowshoe and YES I'd even talk to Joey about getting an awesome course in shape by then. Not the same old bottom trail. I like the sound of the top section, maybe more?????

What about the lift? Can it be fixed by then?

Contact Mike Hartlove at the RacersEdge about building a MTX Course

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Not my department bro. If it were up to me, I'd reccomend Juan Ashworth and Hartlove both work on it. Hartlove's resources and Juan's design....but luckily, I don't have to worry about that.

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
Mammoth is now shown as the site for the US Nat Championships again

Mar 4-6 National Mountain Bike Race Series #1 Tapatio Springs Resort
Boerne/Comfort, TX
Mar 11-13 National Mountain Bike Race Series #2 Waco, TX
Mar 18-20 National Mountain Bike Race Series #3 Phoenix, AZ
May 13-15 National Mountain Bike Race Series #4 Snow Summit Resort
Big Bear Lake, CA
June 17-19 National Mountain Bike Race Series #5 Deer Valley, UT
July 15-17 National Mountain Bike Race Series #6 Schweitzer Mountain Resort
Sand Point, ID
July 22-24 National Mountain Bike Race Series #7 Snowmass Resort
Aspen, CO
Aug 12-14 National Mountain Bike Race Series #8 TBD
Aug 19-21 National Mountain Bike Race Series #9 Snowshoe, WV
Aug 26-28 National Mountain Bike Race Series #10 Mt. Snow, VT
Sep 22-25 U.S. Mountain Bike National Championships Mammoth Mountain, CA

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
no hype, no announcement, no fanfare...just "doink, there it is..." I guess they'll save the fanfare and hoopla for when the full schedule is set.

Anyway, I got my eye on a National course down the center of the mountain at Sugar so if they say yes, I'm gonna be like a man possessed. Think "Yard Sale" in about the first 100 yards of the course.

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
No. 4 - June 25-26 - Mont-Ste-Anne, Quebec

woo, someone told me this might be cancelled for this year, but alas it returns!

yay.
~SGD

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
yeah....apparently Jeff Frost "missed" his flight to Sugar Mtn....I haven't found out if he has rescheduled it. Something stinks about it. I even emailed the webmaster to ask why it was removed and he just said he was told to. That I should probably email the guys at www.norbanationals.com since they are the "for profit" promoters for the series.

I've got an email in to them now.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
DH Dad said:
No Super-D next year?
Does any one have any info on if there will be super d at the nationals next season?? I was going to race super-d's early in the season until my wrist was ready for some dh racing.. :( , but it looks like I need a new game plan now.

nanhar

Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Riverside, CA
Latest breaking news:

Six weeks after the news broke that that there would be no more gravity racing or riding at Snow Summit Resort in Big Bear Lake, California, word came Tuesday that the NORBA national mountain bike series event that was scheduled there for May 13-15 has been moved to Brian Head, Utah, where it will take place on July 29-31.....

Article at: http://www.velonews.com/race/mtn/articles/7422.0.html