Quantcast

yeeeeeeyyy!! i finally fixed my pc from scratch again, but my registry and licence

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
well, since late november when my computer crashed i reinstalled windows me. (the only OS i had). it was crappy, it crashed every 3 days, and i had to format and reinstall like 6 times in 1 month.

i lost my legal windows xp cd, but i do have my old licence.
since me sucked i had to get and install a pirated version of xp.
now i got a pirated version with a pirate cdkey.... is there a way to sanitiza-change my pirated cdkey for my legal copy cdkey????

and

also, my pc is used also by my little sister and i dont want my pc to be messed up again, or full of pop ups, apart from ad aware and spyware, is there any other GOOD software to manage my REGISTRY, more in a preventive way instead of fixing.

any good security software (preferably free) anyone recommends that doesnt slow down the computer too much...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I don't think there's an easy way to sanatize your CD key.. At least, I've never heard of one. The bright side, though, is that nobody cares - I'm just as likely to use a pirtated version of a CD key as a legit version, even if I own both. Just depends on what's accessible at the time of install. Not something to worry about.

As far as your little sister is concerned, the best defense is to install virus software, and a couple different kinds of ad/spy-ware programs. Ad Aware and Spy Sweeper seem to work well together and clean out the majority of the problems.

Just scan often, and keep your definition files up to date. Hell, it should only take a half hour to do a full scan with all three programs (virus scan, then the two adware programs). Do that once or twice a week and you shouldn't ever have a problem.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Set up an administrative account and a second account for your sister, then set the access very tight so that she can't inadvertantly mess something up.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
thank for your help.

one more question, what about registry freezers?? like programs that take snapshots of the registry, so in case my sister (or me) mess something up, i can undo the registry??
anyone??

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
ALEXIS_DH said:
thank for your help.

one more question, what about registry freezers?? like programs that take snapshots of the registry, so in case my sister (or me) mess something up, i can undo the registry??
anyone??
IMO, they are unnecessary. By restoring your registry, you also lose any legit stuff that has gone on.

Keep your virus and spyware definitions active, scan often, and you should be fine.

Norton also makes a good firewall package that's pretty easy to set up and use - you may be able to get some kind of package discount from Norton if you buy their anti-virus software too.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
binary visions said:
IMO, they are unnecessary. By restoring your registry, you also lose any legit stuff that has gone on.

Keep your virus and spyware definitions active, scan often, and you should be fine.

Norton also makes a good firewall package that's pretty easy to set up and use - you may be able to get some kind of package discount from Norton if you buy their anti-virus software too.

cool., i`ve been checking out stuff, and i tried Norton Internet Security 2005. but it slows down my pc a crapload, it loads like a million stuff on memory. any other way?? i dont care if registry freezers undo good things, after all good things can be re-done.

where can i get something like the norton security 2005, or a firewall like that that doesnt slow down my pc a lot (1.7 256mb ram)????????? a personal lite software based firewall so i dont get crap from the internet nor those "install gator yes or no" pop ups???

a complete newbie into this internet security stuff and my knowledge doesnt go beyond adaware and spybot.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Kornphlake said:
Set up an administrative account and a second account for your sister, then set the access very tight so that she can't inadvertantly mess something up.
This is very good advice. And if you lock down all accounts except your own they won't be able to install and write to the registry so there will be nothing to undo later. If you can avoid it, don't muck with your registry. It can lead to bad things.

I have a Win XP key changer. It lists it's own keys which are likely pirated but it may allow you to enter in your own legit key instead of the ones it lists. Also, if your key is legit, then maybe call microsoft at activation time and explain the situation. They may be able to help. IMO though you have paid and have a legit key... there is virtually no way for them to tell what key you are using so just go with the pirate. Arrrgh! In the grand scheme of the universe you are legit. If you are interisted in the key changer, PM me.

Oh, and bump up your RAM to 512. Your PC will run much faster.