Quantcast

Yellowstone National Park

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
my year of travels takes me to pocatello, idaho this time around, so i took the opportunity to visit yellowstone this weekend. pics here:

yellowstone gallery

yes, i saw old faithful. knock yourself out with this ~10 second movie: http://toshiclark.com/images/trips/yellowstone national park - august 2006/Movies/oldfaithful.mov

other things i saw included bison. many bison. bison in the road, in the stream, in the grass, hanging out by my car, etc. here is one just enjoying a contemplative moment:

i enjoyed dressing up like the unabomber for part of my travels...

of course, there were many things to see prettier than my sunburnt face, morning glory pool for instance:

here is the grand canyon. er, the grand canyon of yellowstone, that is:

and, finally, a glamour shot of my car, which doesn't enjoy the 90/91 octane of idaho, wyoming, and montana at all:

for the other pics see the gallery!

yellowstone gallery

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
dan wask said:
Thats a large intercooler.
every time i go on a long trip it manages to devour a butterfly or two...

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Way cool. I've been there twice. And The altitude actually messed with my Cherokee. I forget the name of the spot butit was at 9000 ft. Afrter shutting the car off, it took a few tries for the computer to adjust itself before the car would start.

But yeah....yellowstone is way cool. Like a different planet.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
ALEXIS_DH said:
do you have an intercooler sprayer?
i find it helps a little bit when you are temporarilly stuck with low oct gas.
i had a IC sprayer, but pulled and sold it since it didn't really do much. i dumped a bottle of octane booster in there and called it a day. next month i'm getting set up with water injection tho, and that should help in situations like this.

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
Toshi said:
i had a IC sprayer, but pulled and sold it since it didn't really do much. i dumped a bottle of octane booster in there and called it a day. next month i'm getting set up with water injection tho, and that should help in situations like this.
your need of high octane makes me glad my truck runs fine on 87

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
gratuitious use of the Hella Supertones is always appreciated!
What other changes did you make to the subie? It looks like it's riding a bi higher than when you first got it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
enough car talk, that yellow-blue pool is amazing.
:stupid:

Yellowstone was awesome. I sincerely wish I had a digital camera (and knew what I know now about cameras) when I took my trip across the U.S... Many shots were missed from a 17-year-old's lack of film processing budget.

Nice pictures, Toshi! The bison out there are freakin' everywhere. We were on the way out of the park and ended up having to wait an extra half hour or so because there were a couple bison that wandered into the parking lot and we couldn't get to our cars.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
narlus said:
enough car talk, that yellow-blue pool is amazing.

That's the kind of natural beauty that humbles a human being.

Awsome photos Toshi. Thank you for sharing them with us!

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
toshi, the 1st two pics on the 2nd page of yr site are amazing too.
thanks. first is solely due to the 135mm f/2L. i love that lens and its bokeh. :love: the second is actually a "cheater" shot, thanks to the magic of adobe lightroom's "historic sepia look" or something like that. the treatment looks better than my previous attempts on my own, go figure. :D

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Ciaran said:

That's the kind of natural beauty that humbles a human being.

Awsome photos Toshi. Thank you for sharing them with us!
you're welcome. yellowstone is chock full of the kind of boiling natural beauty that makes one wary to step without looking first.

of course, yellowstone is also full of a whole lot of nothing in between the sights. i'd rate it as an average on the scale of parks i've been to in terms of highlight-density, with arches and maybe zion definitely ranking above it. then again, living out west kind of spoils me -- even normal drives once one is away from the coast/I-5 complex will take one past some spectacular scenery (at least by eastern cave-dweller standards :D).

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
The Joker said:
gratuitious use of the Hella Supertones is always appreciated!
What other changes did you make to the subie? It looks like it's riding a bi higher than when you first got it.
search with results returned by posts for those made by me with "intercooler" in the name. one post in my ride pics thread has the whole rundown.

short answer: coilovers vs. ghetto springs as was the case before.