Quantcast

Yelp

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I've come to conclude that Yelp was made for people like me: self-entitled pricks who think their opinions are so enlightened that everyone with a smart phone or a lap top should be so lucky as to be able to read my prose.

Though the last review I got to write was pretty awesome. I got talk about how I was riding a **** covered race horse through the gates of gastrointestinal Hell. That was fun.

I was reading somewhere that small business owners really hate Yelp. I think I might be why.
I am all excited over this though: Yelp reviewer attacked by book store owner for calling it a total mess.

Yelp will be the first key to the apocalypse, of this I am sure.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
A Yelp review was what got me fired from the dentist and subsequently gave me this awesome custom title. Unfortunately it seems that Yelp deleted my review but Google didn't.

God I miss his loving dental touch...

p3_03_pence.jpg

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Wait, what? Explain the whole story.
I wish I could just un-delete the original thread from a few years back. Very short version: I leave a negative review for the dentist, receive a letter in the mail 2 weeks later with my review printed out and a bunch of hand-written notes on it along with a letter telling me to seek the services of another dentist. RM goes on the attack and hilarity ensues. I had the thread deleted because I was afraid of getting sued or something but that was probably silly.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I had a vet's office threaten to sue me over a long review of their services. The guy tried calling my girlfriend to get me to take it down, making veiled threats and everything. I could never get him to return my calls though. She was on the phone with her friend the other night, talking about the collection of hate mail I get from business owners.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I wish I could just un-delete the original thread from a few years back. Very short version: I leave a negative review for the dentist, receive a letter in the mail 2 weeks later with my review printed out and a bunch of hand-written notes on it along with a letter telling me to seek the services of another dentist. RM goes on the attack and hilarity ensues. I had the thread deleted because I was afraid of getting sued or something but that was probably silly.
Potentially one of the best threads on teh :monkey:. Not including "worst night of my life" of course.

I love Yelping places I have bad experiences at. I do throw in the occasional positive review of local places I like, but its just not as fulfilling as an old fashioned passive-agressive internet beat down.

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Potentially one of the best threads on teh :monkey:. Not including "worst night of my life" of course.

I love Yelping places I have bad experiences at. I do throw in the occasional positive review of local places I like, but its just not as fulfilling as an old fashioned passive-agressive internet beat down.
If it makes you feel any better*, you're just balancing out the astroturf positive reviews.

*It shouldn't.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The worst night of my life thread ranks top 3 of the funniest things i've ever seen on the internet. And this includes all my browsing in days of yore on sites like fugly, something awful, albino black sheep, back in the mid to late 90's, when you could get away with pretty much anything on the internet.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also. yelp isn't really helpful when you're actually trying to find something/somewhere that you wanna try. because of people like dirt. NTTAWWT.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The only positive reviews I ever see on yelp are spammers linking a blog or something. Otherwise is just a bash-fest for people who like to hear themselves rant.

Dirt, have you considered using it as a dating site?

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I've eaten at a bunch of great restaurants thanks to Yelp reviews. Generally speaking, it's easy to identify the morons who try too hard, whether it's a great review or a bad review.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
The last time I went to a restaurant because of yelp reviews, the issue wasn't the food (that was quite good) the issue was the woman who walked in after me. She was with 3 people, and made a big scene about sitting in a quite place in a 30 table restaurant that had 3 filled as it was like 3PM. Her and her party end up close to us, and holy hell will this woman not STFU. She seemed to think the entire restaurant needed to hear what "yelpers" thought was good on the menu. Some decent reviews, but it seems as the people who post them are more irritating in public than myself

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I've never gone somewhere because of Yelp reviews, but I have noticed that at least in Phoenix that the reviews are pretty spot on for the most part. Sometimes you get the strange folk who like to interject their politics here, which are usually pretty conservative. I've seen a lot of "dirty mexicans" when it comes to a mexican place, which makes me giggle just because its Arizona.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The last time I went to a restaurant because of yelp reviews, the issue wasn't the food (that was quite good) the issue was the woman who walked in after me. She was with 3 people, and made a big scene about sitting in a quite place in a 30 table restaurant that had 3 filled as it was like 3PM. Her and her party end up close to us, and holy hell will this woman not STFU. She seemed to think the entire restaurant needed to hear what "yelpers" thought was good on the menu. Some decent reviews, but it seems as the people who post them are more irritating in public than myself
i have encountered this as well. makes me want to get all stabby with the fork.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
The yelp reviews I've received have all been 5*. I've had many customers find me off yelp and choose me over my competitors solely because of those reviews.

edit: actually just got another customer 5 min ago who found me off yelp

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have 43 reviews and my reviews are skewed towards the positive, with 11 five stars and 10 mid, and only 5 1 star reviews. I use yelp extensively because I think it's an essential tool into finding out what actually works and what sucks in real life. Some things are a bit "ethereal" like what makes a good pizza, but billing practices, crooked haircuts, and bad customer service are what make or break a place.

I have heard that yelp is a bit monopolistic though, and that they can "bump" your restaurant to the top of the reviews if you pay them, and if you don't, they can sink it and bury your good reviews too. It always pays to read a few reviews and even sort by date so you can really see what people think, rather than what yelp wants you to believe.

It's created a weird phenomenon though, I've had 3 or 4 business owners reach out to me when I gave them a bad review. I think two of those were for 2 star reviews, but it's nice to know people are paying attention to it.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
made for people like me: self-entitled pricks who think their opinions are so enlightened that everyone with a smart phone or a lap top should be so lucky as to be able to read my prose
My fake jesus, you hit the nail right on the head in regards to how we all feel about you on this site.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I find Yelp especially useful when I'm away. We found some good restaurants at Lake Placid over the weekend based on Yelp reviews. I asked, but RM was no help.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
You come on RM for help??!?!

Would you consider joining the church I am leading now?

Oct 17, 2011
Burp
I've seen a lot of "dirty mexicans" when it comes to a mexican place, which makes me giggle just because its Arizona.
A) You're still a moron.

B) If the restaurant name ends in "bertos" in Phoenix then it's real Mexican food and even the organ meat burritos are spot on.

C) Do yourself a favor if you're downtown.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
A) You're still a moron.

B) If the restaurant name ends in "bertos" in Phoenix then it's real Mexican food and even the organ meat burritos are spot on.

C) Do yourself a favor if you're downtown.
a) You still read my threads. What's that say about you?

b) I live down the street from one. I was 210 when I moved here. I blame Berto's for AT LEAST 30lb I put on. That **** is like Crack!

c) 22 blocks from my house. Love that place.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-insane-case-of-the-dentist-who-tried-to-censor-her-yelp-reviews-with-copyrig

What ever happened to Drkenan?

*edit: RIP Dirt.