Quantcast

yes, another bb7 chainline question

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
just a quick one...

my bb7 has a "click" feel that seems to come from the high pulley when the bike is in the low gears on my cassette. i have checked the alignment on the big ring and the high pulley, and i am comfortable that is fine. the pulley gear does not have any ramps on it, so i am comfortable that is not causing the problem. however, i dawned on me the other day, that the bike is a race bike and designed around bigger gears than i am using. i have a 34 or a 36 in front (not sure) and an 11-34 in the back. i am less inclined to believe that the front ring is the problem (but open to the idea that it could be). i am more inclined to believe that the rear gears are the source of the problem. my current thought is that when in the lowest gears of the range, the chain is not only being pulled from the "ideal center" (left/right) of its path, it is also being "pushed up" (relative to the high pulley) by the fact that the lower gears are bigger. i don't have the clicking when i am in the high gears. in those gears, the chain is also being pulled from the "ideal center" (left/right)but is also being "pulled down" (relative to the high pulley) and that the downward pull is preventing the positioning that causes the click.

anyone with real world experience using a big (11-34) cassette vs. a road/race set up with a tighter gearing in the back? my hunch is that going to a road cluster in the back might help with the problem.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
I think you might be right.

PM Lovebunny. He has the road cassette setup. His BB7 makes so much freakin noise though. It's all this creaking and poping, which seems to be coming form the top pulley.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
I'm running a road cassette on my BB7 and it also makes the noise when I really put the power down. I was thinking it had something to do with the bearing in the pulley being shot.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
WheelieMan said:
I'm running a road cassette on my BB7 and it also makes the noise when I really put the power down. I was thinking it had something to do with the bearing in the pulley being shot.
"the noise" on mine is not related to the amount of power i put down. it shows up in the low gears even if i pedal with little pressure on flat ground. i have taken things apart and the bearing feels fine. does you click show up in all gears or just the low ones?

hellonasty

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
MSA
I have a 2003 BB7 with a road casette, Shimano 40 teeth ring and XTR cranks and the bearing on my pulley are brand new, and no cliking sounds coming from the chain. Man BB7 are reknown for making a lot of noise, you should live with it that way, if there are no mis-shifting, than go ride your bike with ear plugs if you don't like the sound a good bike makes...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
hellonasty said:
I have a 2003 BB7 with a road casette, Shimano 40 teeth ring and XTR cranks and the bearing on my pulley are brand new, and no cliking sounds coming from the chain. Man BB7 are reknown for making a lot of noise, you should live with it that way, if there are no mis-shifting, than go ride your bike with ear plugs if you don't like the sound a good bike makes...
thanks for the statement. i will try the road casette. the noise is not what bothers me. it is the fact that the noise is related to a feeling that comes through the cranks & pedals. it feels like the chain is trying to shift and it results in a hiccup in the pedal stroke. if it just made the noise, i would be fine with it. however the feeling of slip/skip of the chain makes me :mumble:

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
ncrider said:
I think you might be right.

PM Lovebunny. He has the road cassette setup. His BB7 makes so much freakin noise though. It's all this creaking and poping, which seems to be coming form the top pulley.
actually i figured it out at calstate and its my freehub. and i know what your talking about mandown. mine did it when i had a mtn cassette on it. i dont know if i had the old one set up wrong but the road cassette was quieter until my freehub commited suicide :mumble: . oh and my chain is stretched too so i gotta get a new one

bigbirdie

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
CT
lovebunny has my bb7 and when I had it, I had a 11-34 cassette and a 36 tooth chainring. I ran a MRP. I did hear the clicking and it seemed to come from the distance between the front ring and the teeth on the upper pully. I don't think it had anything to do with the rear cassette. I think it has to do with chain stretch. I installed a new chain and it went away....conincidence??? I don't know but it worked for me.....good luck. btw lovebunny, my M3 is the s**t!!!

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
bigbirdie said:
lovebunny has my bb7 and when I had it, I had a 11-34 cassette and a 36 tooth chainring. I ran a MRP. I did hear the clicking and it seemed to come from the distance between the front ring and the teeth on the upper pully. I don't think it had anything to do with the rear cassette. I think it has to do with chain stretch. I installed a new chain and it went away....conincidence??? I don't know but it worked for me.....good luck. btw lovebunny, my M3 is the s**t!!!
i am running an evil on mine. i have tried changing the chain. i have tried 8 & 9 spd setups :confused: the only thing i have yet to try is the compact cogset. that is next on the menu. i :heart: all the advice

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
mandown said:
"the noise" on mine is not related to the amount of power i put down. it shows up in the low gears even if i pedal with little pressure on flat ground. i have taken things apart and the bearing feels fine. does you click show up in all gears or just the low ones?
For some reason I am not hearing the noise any more. :confused:

How did you go about taking off your pulley? I can't seem to fit a wrench or socket on the bolt head as it's recessed. Nut driver?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
WheelieMan said:
For some reason I am not hearing the noise any more. :confused:

How did you go about taking off your pulley? I can't seem to fit a wrench or socket on the bolt head as it's recessed. Nut driver?
i have a socket wrench with a thin enough wall to fit the outside of the plate, and i used pliers to hold the nut on the inside of the plate. not pretty, but it worked.