Quantcast

Yes I'm sorry another "Which One?" thread

the diner

Monkey
Jun 19, 2006
Davidson, NC
As some of you may know I WAS the proud owner of Tubby's old Specialized demo 8. Recently though I found cracks in the frame so obviously its new frame/bike time. :nopity: Now I am selling my SX to come up with the cash for a new ride. My options that I've narrowed down to (considering price and me actually liking the frame and good deals) is a 2007 glory dh complete or a new 2009 demo through my LBS that i can put all my old stuff on. I was wondering how many monkeys out there have ridden a demo or a glory or preferably both to give me some insight on which would be the better choice. I will include in this that I'm a big boy (260ish with gear) and that I try to be smooth but...well you know how it is. I loved the demo for how easy it felt to get the front end up and how it felt through the turns. To be honest Im kind of leaning towards the demo already but I dont want to pass up a good deal if the glory is a sick ride that can do well for me.

thanks in advanced guys

Andrew

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Glory hands down.

Make sure you don't test ride the glory, and just buy it blind. Thats important in buying a bike

the diner

Monkey
Jun 19, 2006
Davidson, NC
Warranty? It is a Specialized.
Yea I don't get warranty because the frame was painted and welded for another problem in a low stress area. Not to mention I'm the second owner. But specialized is offering me a pretty sweet deal (crash replacement).

yea I was considering a sunday for a while and then I realized I'm not a tool (no offense to anyone riding a sunday :biggrin: )

yea and any reasons WHY the glory would be better

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
They're both great bikes, you really can't go wrong with either. I feel like the glory tracks a little better, feels a little better at high speeds, but I at least have more difficulty muscling it through corners. They both track very well while braking, although the glory pedals a little better. They're both extremely well thought out bikes, and both ride really well. You can't go wrong with either of them TBH. If you liked your demo, ride that, you're used to it and know how it rides. If you're in the mood for something new, the glory is a fantastic option.

You really can't make a bad decision here as both bikes are good and I think you would be happy on either bike. I said demo hands down because of the warranty, your ability to get another one at a deal from specialized, as well as you are already used to riding one, and because I have ridden both bikes and owned 3 demos and still ride one today and therfore I'm biased slightly.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
yea I dont have the money for morewood or turner and I just don't like how the sunday rides (I know I must be crazy)
Well, I have a sunday and i just sold on ebay after two years and I am not sure if the guy is going to pay for it. Anyway, I really liked my sunday for the first year when everything worked and was all tuned and smooth running.

My advice to you would be to not get a glory. Once your ride one, it casts a spell on you to make you think your bike great, but its not. My advice to you would be to save up for a morewood izumu, or maybe the jamis downhill bike. That is pretty cheap.

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
If you are just racing I would say Giant. If you want a fun fast jumpable kickass machine go Specialized. The only prob with the Demo is you will be a "fanboy".:busted:

the diner

Monkey
Jun 19, 2006
Davidson, NC
Thanks for the input william42 and jonnynails
I think I will be going with the demo although now Im goin to have to put up with all the fanboy jokes (wananbe :twitch: )
no but seriously guys thanks, Look out shortly for sweet pics built up when I get it :busted:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
as much as the glory is probably the "better bike" i would take a demo because specialized has lifetime warrenty and u seem like a big guy so i would take the "bigger" bike. demos arent that bad anyway.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
i'm riding my glory into the second season and i like it a lot. it gives me a lot of confidence, it tracks fine, and supports my non-style of riding. and i like the general feel of stability it gives. there are a few niggles i had nonetheless.

- headset: it's a mix of 1 1/8" on top of the headtube and 1 1/2" at the bottom. giant has such headsets and they are rather cheap, but so is the quality. i bought 2 of them right away. they have an annoyingly short life span.

- blue rims: ugly as fvck... but an good excuse to upgrade!

- Fox 40: i'm still struggling to get them to work fine for me, but maybe that's just a matter of taste and getting used to... i'm thinking about getting a 08 boxxer team if i find it somewhere cheap...

otherwise it's a fantastic bike, also considering the price for the complete package.

Thanks for the input william42 and jonnynails
I think I will be going with the demo although now Im goin to have to put up with all the fanboy jokes (wananbe :twitch: )
no but seriously guys thanks, Look out shortly for sweet pics built up when I get it :busted:
Yeah man, get some pics posted of whatever you get. I think a lot of people trash the demo due to the wheelbase. The girly girls can't muscle a big bike like that around:busted:

My new Demo will be done shortly and I'll post some pics too. Maybe I'll run into you up in the mtns. sometime?

the diner

Monkey
Jun 19, 2006
Davidson, NC
Yeah man, get some pics posted of whatever you get. I think a lot of people trash the demo due to the wheelbase. The girly girls can't muscle a big bike like that around:busted:

My new Demo will be done shortly and I'll post some pics too. Maybe I'll run into you up in the mtns. sometime?
Super sick man yea if ur at any of the big races in the southeast I'll probs be there

the diner

Monkey
Jun 19, 2006
Davidson, NC
Yeah, massanutten, snowshoe and maybe a wisp race this year. That and I live just down the road in charlotte. What bike store do you go to?

Well as you can see by my avatarmathingy I live in davidson. I go to The Cycle Path in cornelious. Also I will definately be at massanutten and the Shoe this summer too. So we should most likely cross paths while on the mountain