Quantcast

Yes suh, massah suh...

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Are the boxes painted black and white too?

from CNN.com ....

'Master' and 'slave' computer labels unacceptable, officials say
Wednesday, November 26, 2003 Posted: 11:33 AM EST (1633 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Los Angeles officials have asked that manufacturers, suppliers and contractors stop using the terms "master" and "slave" on computer equipment, saying such terms are unacceptable and offensive.

The request -- which has some suppliers furious and others busy re-labeling components -- came after an unidentified worker spotted a videotape machine carrying devices labeled "master" and "slave" and filed a discrimination complaint with the county's Office of Affirmative Action Compliance.

In the computer industry, "master" and "slave" are used to refer to primary and secondary hard disk drives. The terms are also used in other industries.

"Based on the cultural diversity and sensitivity of Los Angeles County, this is not an acceptable identification label," Joe Sandoval, division manager of purchasing and contract services, said in a memo sent to County vendors.

"We would request that each manufacturer, supplier and contractor review, identify and remove/change any identification or labeling of equipment components that could be interpreted as discriminatory or offensive in nature," Sandoval said in the memo, which was distributed last week and made available to Reuters.

The memo did not include any suggestions for alternative labels.

Dennis Tafoya, director of the affirmative action office, said in a separate memo that an "exhaustive search" had been undertaken to find all such labels and replace them with more "appropriate" ones. A form was sent to all departments to identify equipment carrying the labels "master" and "slave" or any other offensive terms.

Faced with an avalanche of complaints from vendors and the general public, Sandoval told Reuters in an interview that his memo was intended as "nothing more than a request" and not an ultimatum or policy change.

"I do understand that this term has been an industry standard for years and years and this is nothing more than a plea to vendors to see what they can do," he said. "It appears that some folks have taken this a little too literally."

Sandoval said that he had already rejected a suggestion that the county stop buying all equipment carrying the "master" and "slave" labels and had no intention of enforcing a ban on such terms with suppliers.

"But we are culturally sensitive and we have 90,000 employees," he said. "We have to take these things seriously."

Sandoval added that in addition to the e-mails he's received "telling me how stupid I am and how I should be fired" he has gotten a positive response from some companies willing to reexamine their labels.

In June, the Los Angeles city council unanimously passed a law requiring that any companies doing business with the city disclose profits they may have made from slavery in the 19th Century. In 2000, the council supported federal legislation seeking reparations for descendants of slaves.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
*groan*

Good one MMike. That guy is a stooge. I guess his life is pretty peachy as this is what gets in his craw.(That is right I said craw and I have no idea what it means ;) )

In June, the Los Angeles city council unanimously passed a law requiring that any companies doing business with the city disclose profits they may have made from slavery in the 19th Century.
All I can say is, good luck. :rolleyes:

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Political correctness sucks.

I still get classmates who say "herkind" instead of mankind and "herstory" instead of history...:mad:

Hey, obviously slavery was abhorent but America wasn't the only land to practice it.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Originally posted by ummbikes
Politicaly correctness sucks.

I still get classmates who say "herkind" instead of mankind and "herstory" instead of history...:mad:

Hey, obviously slavery was abhorent but America wasn't the only land to practice it.
If it hadn't been for slavery, Egypt never would have gotten those cool pyramids...

Who KNOWS what the Luxor would have looked like then?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by ummbikes
Political correctness sucks.

Herkind - What you ask about to another person in a bar referenceing a lasie you would like to associate with. "What's herkind...."

- also used as slang for asking if a pretty girl has a sister "What's herkind look like"

Herstory - What pussywhipped guys say for fear of having their GF/Wife/Mother rain holy hell fire on them later

- Also what you ask another person in a bar referencing a lasie you would like to associate with. "What's Herstory?"

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
this is like saying that if we redefine the terms that oppression will go away :confused:

what's next? male/female plugs becoming receiver/sender (which is even more confusing)

i especially like this one:
In June, the Los Angeles city council unanimously passed a law requiring that any companies doing business with the city disclose profits they may have made from slavery in the 19th Century
the smart answer during auditing: "I only do backups for the last 30 days"

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Originally posted by $tinkle
this is like saying that if we redefine the terms that oppression will go away :confused:

what's next? male/female plugs becoming receiver/sender (which is even more confusing)

i especially like this one:the smart answer during auditing: "I only do backups for the last 30 days"

TECHNICALLY.....male = plug, female = jack...

but yeah...

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
i especially like this one:the smart answer during auditing: "I only do backups for the last 30 days"
I also see no way to enforce it. Technically you have records at least (thinking) 3 years for IRS purposes. I can see records going back 5-10 years. But to find ledgers and derive a profit from slaves in the 1800's........no way. I mean really.....looks good to the population for their re-election bids...but there is no way....no way. Too funny.

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
Despite how stupid work has been today, this is the most RIDICULOUS thing I've heard all day. Are you focking kidding me? :rolleyes:
The memo did not include any suggestions for alternative labels.
And I love it when people raise problems without a clue for a resolution.

I think all manufacturers will have to get together to draft a big 'F-YOU' memo to that guy.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by Transcend
I'll go grab some dyn-o-mite.

Me: Looks like the good times are over, Jimmy.

Jimmy Walker: DYN-O-MITE!!!

Me: Don't you get it? Good Times has been off the air since 1979.

Jimmy Walker (angrily, but questioning): DYN-O-MITE???!!!

Me: I wouldn't lie to you, Jimmy. You know that. Now would you please spell it right?

Jimmy Walker: DIN-O-MITE?

Me: Not even close.

Jimmy Walker: DIN-O-MYTE??

Me: Good Lord.

Jimmy Walker: DIE-NO-MIGHT???

Me: Sweet Jesus!!! Have you had any formal schooling?

Jimmy Walker: Dy-know-mite.

Me: That's what I thought.

Link

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
wow, guess the S&M community is next under fire.

I'm the pitcher, you're the catcher! I'm the pitcher, you're the catcher! I'm the pitcher, you're the catcher!

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by LordOpie
wow, guess the S&M community is next under fire.

I'm the pitcher, you're the catcher! I'm the pitcher, you're the catcher! I'm the pitcher, you're the catcher!
LOL, I want to see white papers that refer the to "jocker" and "punk". :monkey:

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
those poor slaved hard drives. their life is so bleak. always at the end of the cable.... they are considered extra and maybe even superfluous (like my extra nipple).

at least some is TRYING to stand up for these oppressed items.

what i don't understand is HOW someone could take offense of an inanimate object's designation. its a convention, dammit.

next thing they're gonna do is get rid of the negaitve sign in thermodynamics cuz it ain't nice to take energy from something...

forgive me, i'm out in left field again.

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
What I would like to know is, as a society, why do we continue to listen to these idiots?

-----------------------------------------------------
Bars, clubs forced to drop promotions in face of lawsuits

It might seem like a harmless marketing stunt, although some lawyers will tell you it's an insidious form of anti-male discrimination. Either way, it's now history in the Gaslamp Quarter.

Several local bars and clubs have been forced to drop th READ MORE

What the hell is up with this? Who doesn't like ladies night? ARRRRGHHHHHHh Does this stuff happen in Canada?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by MMike

In June, the Los Angeles city council unanimously passed a law requiring that any companies doing business with the city disclose profits they may have made from slavery in the 19th Century. In 2000, the council supported federal legislation seeking reparations for descendants of slaves.
How can someone be penalized by the govt. for a practice that was legal? If they want to reemburse the families, that should lie on the govt. itself, not the businesses who only obeyed the law of the land...no matter how unjust they may be.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Holy crap. Is this a thread in the Political Forum about which all of us actually agree?

WTF? Mmike, clearly you're losing your touch.

Originally posted by BurlySurly
How can someone be penalized by the govt. for a practice that was legal? If they want to reemburse the families, that should lie on the govt. itself, not the businesses who only obeyed the law of the land...no matter how unjust they may be.
This "white guilt" trip we seem to be on really gets me. Paying for the sins of my father's father's father is not something I can even contemplate agreeing with. Litigating your way to a perception of equality is not going to do it. It only builds resentment and reinforces already biased attitudes. I will not willingly be part of it nor will I support any pol who does.

If I was black, I might see it different. But I hope not. Slavery has been dead in this country for well, 'bout 140 years now. It's time it's legacy dropped to a more sensible position.