Quantcast

Yes, we closed 5 minutes ago, but can I help you quickly???

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
So, some folks come in as I am wrapping the day up and rolling cruisers in from out front. They clearly saw me click the "open" light off, but sauntered in anyway. I, being somewhat friendly to people, say hello and ask if I can help with something really quickly. I should add that I was to be at a graduation party for a local kid that races here and I kind of got going on the roadie. He is starting part time next week and I hold his family in high regard, so this was kind of a big deal for me.

I showed the man a helmet mirror and answered a few other questions. As I rang him up, he decided he needed bottle cages. I helped him find some. He checked out. They didn't leave though. They continued to shop, lights off and all. They then grabbed a Polar bottle and headed up. I told them I could help and apologized for being rude, but informed them of us being closed and that I had an engagement. They stood for a moment and then left, putting the bottle back. Later, as they backed out, he stopped and offered to help me roll bikes in. I declined, but was super thankful.

My question is - how do you politely tell people that you are closed and you have plans??? Did I do it right???

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
"GTFO or its your ass, roadie boy!"

That usually works.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
We do stick around after closing, but the first thing I say is: We are closed. Then I ask what I can do for you.

If you ask for something ridiculous or even something like browsing for bikes, then I repeat, we are closed. If you know exactly what you want, then I am glad to give you hand.

If you are a serious bike customer but arrived too late for closing, I mention how you should take more time to shop for a bike and invite them to come back tomorrow.

I won't let someone browse because bikes are probably scattered, and frankly, after closing is not the time to goof around.

But I hate shops that won't let you in after hours, especially if you need a tube or something similar.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
You confused them with the idea that "the help" have lives too.

Next time dismiss them quickly but subtle. With a great big'ole fake smile, " Thanks for coming buy, looking forward to seeing you again. "

thebornotaku

Monkey
May 19, 2008
Northern Bay Area
I just tell people "We're closed, sorry". If they insist, I will say "What part of "We're closed" do you not understand? The register is locked, the machines are off, we are no longer doing business now. Come back tomorrow."

nothing like working for a local business where the owner has told us that if we feel the need to we are allowed to be standoffish/sarcastic/abrasive to people who are too pushy.

We even have a sign that says "Prices vary according to customer's attitude"

and we're allowed to jack up the price if they're assholes. Up to $20 more. We put it on the receipt as the "hassle charge". For hassling us.

nothing quite like working for small businesses, man.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I just tell people "We're closed, sorry". If they insist, I will say "What part of "We're closed" do you not understand? The register is locked, the machines are off, we are no longer doing business now. Come back tomorrow."

nothing like working for a local business where the owner has told us that if we feel the need to we are allowed to be standoffish/sarcastic/abrasive to people who are too pushy.

and we're allowed to jack up the price if they're assholes. Up to $20 more. We put it on the receipt as the "hassle charge". For hassling us.

Totally know that feeling. I bounced people that made things tough when I ran a sandwich shop. It was fvcking awesome.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I get customers like that at least 2-3 times a week. I just tell them:

Me: I'm sorry, but we're closed for the day
Customer: But I just have a question
Me: I'll do my best to answer your question, but the register is closed, the equipment is shut down, and the technicians have left for the day.
C: Ok... blah blah blah, yada yada yada... how much is it going to cost?
Me: In order to give you an accurate estimate, I have to inspect your car to verify the problem and figure out what needs to be done to correct it.
C: But, I just told you the problem
Me: Sir/Ma'am, I would love to give you an estimate, but as I said before, we're shut down for the day. If you would like to return tomorrow before we close you're more than welcome to... or if you would like to set an appointment today for an inspection on a day when you can come in earlier, we can do that too.
C: OK (or) But... but...

This is the time I start walking them to the door as we speak, making sure to grab a business card off the counter, and hand it to them before we get to the door and say... have a good night.

The last 15 minutes of each shift are dedicated to general housekeeping and bringing in the cars. I'm too lazy to do it myself.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
sounds like you handled it correctly. but as it happens it doesn't always go that smooth. i'm like you, i don't mind helping them out if it's something quick, but i hate it when the customer turns it into something else because that was their agenda from the start. it's easier when your in a small owned store, you can pretty much get away with being outright rude, but big box stores suck because it's all about customer service. thats all fine and dandy but there's gotta be a middle ground. i've had people come in just as the store was about to close to buy ski's. that's not really a quick thing to buy unless the customer was smart enough (i know their not) to do their homework or had been in the store b4 to know what they want. now your spending 30 min or more to do the deal, mgmt is saying why is it taking so long and i'm saying well if you just closed the door 5 min early or let me tell this person we don't have the time to do this and to come back tomorrow we wouldn't be in this position and we could all be going home.

ahhhh!! the joys of retail!! :crazy::crazy:

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD

And I have a sign that says "Don't bitch, little local shop owner,when I do my shopping online or Wal Mart puts you under"

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
And I have a sign that says "Don't bitch, little local shop owner,when I do my shopping online or Wal Mart puts you under"
You think there is something wrong with charging a PITA asshole customer more? Why? If everybody made assholes pay for being assholes maybe they wouldn't be assholes as often.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
You think there is something wrong with charging a PITA asshole customer more? Why? If everybody made assholes pay for being assholes maybe they wouldn't be assholes as often.
Yes, charging them more I do. Asking them to just please leave and take their business elsewhere, no. Do they charge me less if I'm overly nice and polite as a customer? If they put a surcharge on asshole, what about stupid? Then what, let's charge blacks more, or women more?

My response was also generated towards the sign being posted about attitudes. Usually, shops that have attitudes like these are the first ones crying to the media about how online shopping or big box stores are driving them under.

No employee or store owner should have to put up with abusive or abrasive behavior from a customer and they have every right to a life of their own. But on the other hand, if you can't deal with less than ideal customers, maybe retail or public service industry isn't for you.

If we charged everyone that was an asshole for being an asshole, this country would be debt free, no taxes, free health care and Ridemonkey would outprofit Google:biggrin:

(So says the government contractor who works in an office by himself)

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Do they charge me less if I'm overly nice and polite as a customer? If they put a surcharge on asshole, what about stupid? Then what, let's charge blacks more, or women more?

My response was also generated towards the sign being posted about attitudes. Usually, shops that have attitudes like these are the first ones crying to the media about how online shopping or big box stores are driving them under.

No employee or store owner should have to put up with abusive or abrasive behavior from a customer and they have every right to a life of their own. But on the other hand, if you can't deal with less than ideal customers, maybe retail or public service industry isn't for you.

If we charged everyone that was an asshole for being an asshole, this country would be debt free, no taxes, free health care and Ridemonkey would outprofit Google:biggrin:

(So says the government contractor who works in an office by himself)
Seriously being black or a woman? Because assholes are born that way right? Eh you could have a point, there are people who are just born with a sense of entitlement.

And I don't think the sign is directed towards "less than ideal customers". If you've worked in any kind of customer service you know that you deal with douches all the time but there are some people that seriously take the cake. **** telling them to take there business elsewhere when you can charge them more. That's the american dream.

As for receiving price cuts for being nice, I don't know about you but my LBS constantly did me favors for being an easy going, flexible and loyal customer. That's the beauty of knowing your mechanic and salesman by name. They should be afforded some of the same luxuries.

Last edited:

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
The black and women thing did add a touch of drama queen did it not?

I am indeed presenting a one sided story because I have only worked a very small amount of time in retail (a one year part time stint at Lowes). I had some just jackass customers, but I'd just laugh them off. If I had to do it full time, I'd probably be up on murder one charges by now.

I wasn't referring to strictly LBS, either. I agree 100% about the beauty of knowing the staff and even being friends with them, we're lucky that our LBS is also a coffee bar.

Still, my main contention is customer service has gone down the tubes in recent years and maybe it's because of jackass customers like the one that started this thread, maybe not. I just get tired of going into stores or other businesses and deal with Kaitlin yakking on her cell phone while she's ringing me up, snotty attitudes from sales staff that have a grudge because they have to work or something, managers that act that they could care less if they get my business, yada yada yada. I try to act like I'm glad there is someone there to provide me a service or merchandise, at least act like you're glad I came into your business to spend my money.

Last edited:

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.

This is absolutely the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
it's easier when your in a small owned store, you can pretty much get away with being outright rude, but big box stores suck because it's all about customer service. thats all fine and dandy but there's gotta be a middle ground.
Are you fvcking kidding me??!??? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I own a small business. I started it solo 4 1/2 years ago and now I have 20 people in my organization, a decent annual revenue figure and will be opening new markets in the forseeable future. And you know WHY it's been somewhat successful??? Customer service!!

If my guys pulled ANY of the stuff mentioned in this thread (the kind of stuff that everyone seems to be LAUGHING about) they would be history. If you're gonna have a piss poor attitude about customer service then you have NO RIGHT to complain about receiving it in return. Nothing I hate worse than bike shop attitude. :banghead:

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I try not to enter a retail store if they are within 10 minutes or so of closing. I'm worked retail before, and I know it sucks to get "stuck" after hours.

toby

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
My question is - how do you politely tell people that you are closed and you have plans??? Did I do it right???
Sounds to me like you handled it perfectly fine.

I used to work for a small retail store as well (for seven years). If a customer was lingering past closing time, I'd politely tell them we're closing up and ask them how I could help them. I never had to wait much more than an extra 15-30 minutes. If you can't handle an occasional 15-30 minute delay to help a customer and the business you're working for, don't work in retail. If you're late for something and tell the person you were tied up with a customer, they'll understand. **** them if they don't.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
Are you fvcking kidding me??!??? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I own a small business. I started it solo 4 1/2 years ago and now I have 20 people in my organization, a decent annual revenue figure and will be opening new markets in the forseeable future. And you know WHY it's been somewhat successful??? Customer service!!

If my guys pulled ANY of the stuff mentioned in this thread (the kind of stuff that everyone seems to be LAUGHING about) they would be history. If you're gonna have a piss poor attitude about customer service then you have NO RIGHT to complain about receiving it in return. Nothing I hate worse than bike shop attitude. :banghead:
that's fine and i see your point. you run YOUR business like YOU want to. i've worked at small companies where that attitude was ok, especially when the customer was being a total tool. all i was pointing out is that the small business owner has that type of freedom to say or do what they feel like. i'm not saying it's the most intelligent thing to do, just pointing out the fact they can over large big box stores since they only have themselves to answer to, not a District or Regional Mgr and other upper corporate mgmt. and that attitude trickles down to their employees who either do it with the owners approval or not. and in the end the owner has to deal with any problems resulting from it.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I try to shop at my local hardware stores. There is one I don't go to because the staff always acts like they are doing you the biggest fscking favor in the world. The other one is staffed with helpful friendly folks and I try to buy a big item there on a regular basis, even if it's costing more. I like the store and I want that place open.

The bike shop right next to my office recently hired this bitchy woman to run the counter. I spoke with the shop manager and he apologized, but said she is related to the owner. Now I am ordering everything online.

I realize no one can accommodate every crazy ass customer, but big stores provide such consistent customer service that smaller shops have to compete if they want to survive.

And I ran a successful small business for 8 years, so only half of this post came out of my ass.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I realize no one can accommodate every crazy ass customer, but big stores provide such consistent customer service that smaller shops have to compete if they want to survive.

I seriously need to find these big stores you are talking about. We use Wal-Mart gift cards as an incentive for signing up for our program. Once a week I am in the same ****ing wal-mart buying 1000$ worth of gift cards. It's a pain in the ass. I have to pay with checks from the organization that fund us and I need $1000 worth of $25 dollar gift cards. Each one has to be scanned individually, and I can only put 250 bucks on each check so 4 checks have to be run. The whole process takes about 30 minutes. Every person that I deal with acts like i am the biggest ****ing bitch for wasting their time even though I am spending 4000 bucks a month there.

So i guess you could say that the customer service is consistent, consistently bad.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I seriously need to find these big stores you are talking about. We use Wal-Mart gift cards as an incentive for signing up for our program. Once a week I am in the same ****ing wal-mart buying 1000$ worth of gift cards. It's a pain in the ass. I have to pay with checks from the organization that fund us and I need $1000 worth of $25 dollar gift cards. Each one has to be scanned individually, and I can only put 250 bucks on each check so 4 checks have to be run. The whole process takes about 30 minutes. Every person that I deal with acts like i am the biggest ****ing bitch for wasting their time even though I am spending 4000 bucks a month there.

So i guess you could say that the customer service is consistent, consistently bad.
Have you tried speaking to the manager, and if that doesn't work, the district manager, etc?

Corporate environments run on CYA, so I've had good luck running my problems higher and higher until I get the answer I want. Being calm, well documented and insistent will get you far. I just got a $50 gift certificate from a tire store who didn't have my tires ready to install at my appointment time. The store manager kept telling me "But we can order them." and rolling his eyes. I contacted the corporate office and next thing I know the manager is literally groveling on the phone for forgiveness.

I will say I've never done this with Wally World, I don't really go there much.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Have you tried speaking to the manager, and if that doesn't work, the district manager, etc?

Generally it is the manager that takes care of me, considering the length of time the process takes. I think I will try a higher up though. The issue that I run into is, "if you want more than 11 gift cards please order them online to save time". However, I don't feel like I should have to explain that I don't buy the cards directly and that accounting provides me with checks that I obviously can not use to purchase the cards online, every single time I go to the store. Anyway, the service doesn't surprise me and doesn't really bother me. Hell if I worked at Walmart, I'd be a bitch too. I just don't think that large stores adhere to any kind of customer service policy across the board.

I also don't think that having someone call me after the fact to apologize is good customer service. i don't want an apology, I want you to do it right the first ****ing time. :)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Generally it is the manager that takes care of me, considering the length of time the process takes. I think I will try a higher up though. The issue that I run into is, "if you want more than 11 gift cards please order them online to save time". However, I don't feel like I should have to explain that I don't buy the cards directly and that accounting provides me with checks that I obviously can not use to purchase the cards online, every single time I go to the store. Anyway, the service doesn't surprise me and doesn't really bother me. Hell if I worked at Walmart, I'd be a bitch too. I just don't think that large stores adhere to any kind of customer service policy across the board.

I also don't think that having someone call me after the fact to apologize is good customer service. i don't want an apology, I want you to do it right the first ****ing time. :)

The solution is clear. Burn the place down.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Me either. I just like to put a black mark on their file and make them think twice before they do it to another customer.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Loco, you handled it alright. Explained why you were in a hurry, so fair enough. I'd have also told them "come back tomorrow and I'll give you 10% off that bottle you were looking at"