~2 tbsp of ginger, shredded
zest of 1 blood orange, chopped
juice of two blood oranges
canola oil
salt and pepper
cumin
northern woods fire spice mix
package of bone-in chicken thighs

take the skin off the chicken, and put the spices on the chicken. in a large sealable baggie, make the marinade. put the chicken in, toss to coat evenly, put in fridge for a few hours.

grill, low heat on one side, med-high heat on the empty (ie, no chicken) side for about 25-30 min.

i also made some rice, and did some blanched/cooked in oil swiss chard w/ garlic.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Had a meal worthy of posting last night.

NY strips seared then quickly finished in butter.
Roasted garlic/red wine sauce
Rosemary/balsamic roasted potatoes
Green beans sauteed in olive oil

NY strips sliced crosswise and then sauced.

Bottle of '03 Tintara cab to wash it down. This was a *really* good steak wine. :thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
no pics? :disgust1:

how did the cab match w/ the 2 gallons of milk you likely drank? :busted:

here's last night's meal...proscuitto-wrapped halibut, served over a gratin of granny smith apples and leeks. served w/ pan-roasted asparagus (w/ red onion, bacon, balsamic, and a bit of maple syrup). libations were handled via a sav blanc from NZ.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I don't take pictures of my dinners. That just seems kind of weird. :p

how did the cab match w/ the 2 gallons of milk you likely drank? :busted:
I've never found cab to go very well with milk. We still have almost 3 gallons left. Kids must be slacking off...

here's last night's meal...proscuitto-wrapped halibut, served over a gratin of granny smith apples and leeks. served w/ pan-roasted asparagus (w/ red onion, bacon, balsamic, and a bit of maple syrup). libations were handled via a sav blanc from NZ.
Sounds quite tasty. Although I'd substitute filet for the halibut. ;)

Edit: You could use some larger plates.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
They need a hobby!
i think they devoted a webpage to their hobby...

SS, the plates are standard size (any larger and we'd have dishwasher compatibility issues), but i think the asparagus stalks were pretty long.

btw, taking photos of food isn't weird. some people make a living out of doing that. i kinda like the little photo album of foodstuffs i've created thus far (though i rarely do take photos, mainly just of stuff which either takes a decent amount of time and/or looks good).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
<snip>
SS, the plates are standard size (any larger and we'd have dishwasher compatibility issues), but i think the asparagus stalks were pretty long.
I've developed a preference for the skinny little spears. Those look *fat*.... how do you trim the stalk? We learned a trick in Italy which involves bending the spear up from the bottom, woody end and the spear will naturally break where it gets tender. Works a treat. :thumb:

btw, taking photos of food isn't weird. some people make a living out of doing that.
Yeah - weird people.
i kinda like the little photo album of foodstuffs i've created thus far (though i rarely do take photos, mainly just of stuff which either takes a decent amount of time and/or looks good).
Yeah - just razzin' ya. I'm actually too lazy to do it... :p

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I've developed a preference for the skinny little spears. Those look *fat*.... how do you trim the stalk? We learned a trick in Italy which involves bending the spear up from the bottom, woody end and the spear will naturally break where it gets tender. Works a treat. :thumb:
been doing that for years. does work well.

the recipe (in this month's cooks illustrated) called for fatter ones; the thin ones would overcook.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
cooked the bacon, remove and reserve
removed most of the grease from the pan
tossed in slivered onions, balsamic and maple syrup until soft
rinse, clean and dry pan
heat olive oil and butter in pan, when melted add asparagus in single layer and cover, cook for ~5 min
uncover, increase heat to high, move spears as necessary (though brown only one side), and cook for 5-7 min
top w/ onions and serve

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Narlus, that looks really tasty. How'd you do the fish? Pan sear and finish in the oven? I tend to overcook halibut but I imagine the prosciutto helps.

I made short ribs over the weekend. Braised in red wine and beef stock with a random spice blend that was sort of vietnamese (including five-spice, cinammon, star anise, etc.). Ridiculously tender and super flavorful, served with polenta and steamed broccolini.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
take two slices of proscuitto, wrap the filet, and secure w/ a toothpick. in a med-hot pan w/ oil, sear each side for a couple of minutes, then transfer the pan into a pre-heated 350F oven, and cook for ~10 min or so. very easy.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Narlus - excellent asparagus! :thumb:

I had to substitute sweet onion for the red, and used honey instead of maple syrup, but it turned out killer.

Had it as a side to accompany prosciutto & basil stuffed chicken breasts in a sundried tomato cream sauce. Served over a bed of linguine.

Mixed green salad and grape-tomato caprese to boot.

:drool:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
take two slices of proscuitto, wrap the filet, and secure w/ a toothpick. in a med-hot pan w/ oil, sear each side for a couple of minutes, then transfer the pan into a pre-heated 350F oven, and cook for ~10 min or so. very easy.
That sounds great.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Last's night dinner started with a bottle of Piper Heidsick Champagne and a little smoked salmon, the moved on to rack of lamb with roasted squash and glazed shallots with a honey-zinfandel-thyme sauce and a bottle of 2001 Ridge Paso Robles Zin. So friggin' good. I definitely recommend that wine, it is peaking right about now.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
OG, i need to get more bottles of the Ponzo Ridge zin...that wine was great.

did you cook that lamb last night? sounds great.

i made chicken w/ a mushroom cream sauce (baby portobellos, shallots, garlic, thyme, stock, heavy cream). made it w/ bowtie pasta, side of green beans, and a bottle of cakebread chardonnay.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah I cooked it. I've tried it and I'm not really into the lamb tartare.

:monkeydance:

But seriously folks...yeah instead of going out I like to make a nice dinner at home for Valentine's day. This was a rack of 8 meaty chops, marinated overnight in garlic, honey, olive oil, mustard, mint, and rosemary (and s&p, natch). Before cooking I wiped off the marinade and added a fresh coat of mustard, olive oil, and s&p, then roasted at 500 (garlic and herbs tend to burn on me at that temp). Ended up with a nice brown crust and rosy meat, pretty much perfect. Served over a pool of red wine sauce and garnished with more herbs.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
<snip>...yeah instead of going out I like to make a nice dinner at home for Valentine's day
I contend that VD is the day you're most likely to get a sub-par dinner at a restaurant. The restaurant is packed, the staff is probably stressed out, and they know they're gonna be full whether you get a decent meal or not.

Now the day *after* VD..... :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Morryjg came over yesterday and we made a big batch of fresh linguine. Sauced it with carbonara. :drool:

Had it with caprese, mixed salad, fresh bread, and some vino.

Dessert was flourless choc & walnut torte with pinot noir marinated strawberries & fresh whipped cream.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i haven't made pasta (ie, homemade pasta, w/ just flour and eggs) in a long time....gotta fix that...

did you make the torte thing too? sounds awesome.