Quantcast

Yet another '05 line: Rocky Mountain...

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Not that anyone cares, but the '05 rockys are listed HERE.

Looks like they dropped the 1.5" headtubes on some of the switches that had it. The top of the line RMX has shimano parts while the top of the line switch has SRAM. The RMX frameset has RM's sweet maple leaf paint job. And it looks like all of the RMXs have the afro with pic froriders sticker. :D

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I haven't really paid attention to the RM FS bikes in a long time but that linkage looks beefy. Has it always been like that and still had problems?

:thumb: to the paint job especially. :) Sure are pretty bikes.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
MMcG said:
That paint job is sick, but other than new shocks and the new forks, their frame designs are exactly the same are they not?
Basic design is, but they changed the linkage for strength. A lot of the rear play has been dealt with in theory.

Sweet paint job. Still can't afford RM stuff but nice and sexy.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
MMcG said:
That paint job is sick, but other than new shocks and the new forks, their frame designs are exactly the same are they not?
The RMX has 150mm rear spacing now and an 83mm BB shell. I'm pretty sure it used to be 135mm/73mm. That makes for a much burlier rear end. Also, the BB is lower and the head angle is slacker-more DH friendly.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
buildyourown said:
I'll admit, those are some of the best parking lot test ride bikes. They feel very plush and active. Too bad all the swingarms fall off.
Is that comment accurate for last years bikes? I went to a RM demo at N* at the beginning of this season and I didn't get a chance to ride the RMX but it sure looked nice. Didn't seem like Wade S had any problems ripping it up on one, of course he could probably be just fine on any bike.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
dfinn said:
Is that comment accurate for last years bikes? I went to a RM demo at N* at the beginning of this season and I didn't get a chance to ride the RMX but it sure looked nice. Didn't seem like Wade S had any problems ripping it up on one, of course he could probably be just fine on any bike.

It looks like they addressed the issue of a very high leverage ratio and the broken links but the swingarm remains pretty much the same. Wade and Vanderham don't have any problem ripping cause the bikes ride fine. However, I have personally seen both those guys rip the rear end off of an RM-7.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
dfinn said:
Is that comment accurate for last years bikes?...
I don't think anyone knows for sure. It seems like RM damaged their reputation with the RM6 & RM7 that not many people gave the RMX a second look despite RM potentially having addressed all of the issues (high leverage ratio and weak linkage. maybe weak swingarm as well).

Their astronimical price and the weak 6 month warrantee doesn't help much either.

When the RM6 first came out the buzz was huge. Then people realized that they didn't hold up like the frorider vids would leave you to believe.

I had an RM6 and then an RM7. I loved the way they rode but the rear end really was sloppy.