Quantcast

Yet another boring house building thread

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
The couple who is buying this house is in their late 20's with one 7 year old.
Stosh's customer spends 6hrs commuting to NYC and only sees his kids on the weekend. The view of the trees and ravine, however, are unparalleled.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Tue the plumbing was roughed in

Wed the beam diggers got the foundation dug out and the poly installed. The foundation was pre-trated for those nasty termites. The post-tention contractor will be in this afternoon to install the post-tension cables.

Tomorrow morn the carpenter will install the brick-shelf and the floating forms. Then it will be inspected for Fri morning's pour.

Fri we will have the slab poured and the framing lumber delivered.

Sat the carpenter will pop lines on the slab, lay sill plate and start nailing up walls.

:)
Dammit!!! Rain today... :(

Looks like i'll have to rent a concrete pump truck for tomorrow's pour.... bye-bye $1100.

:monkey:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Dammit!!! Rain today... :(

Looks like i'll have to rent a concrete pump truck for tomorrow's pour.... bye-bye $1100.

:monkey:
You get a better pour with a pump truck anyway.
It's $1100 for the truck plus the additional $ for the mix don't forget.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
You get a better pour with a pump truck anyway.
It's $1100 for the truck plus the additional $ for the mix don't forget.
True... but we can access 3 sides of this slab with trucks easily.... but I do have a pump truck on 'will-call'...

One thing that's a new change on this house is my plumber started using copper water pipe that's got a covering of plastic over it. This is great, because now i don't have to wrap the exposed lines in the beams.

http://www.kamcoproducts.com/index.asp?content_id=30

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
True... but we can access 3 sides of this slab with trucks easily.... but I do have a pump truck on 'will-call'...

One thing that's a new change on this house is my plumber started using copper water pipe that's got a covering of plastic over it. This is great, because now i don't have to wrap the exposed lines in the beams.

http://www.kamcoproducts.com/index.asp?content_id=30

I don't understand what you mean by exposed lines wrapped in beams.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I don't understand what you mean by exposed lines wrapped in beams.
the plumbing is installed before the beams are dug.

when the beams are dug, there is always copper water lines criss-crossing them. These exposed bits of copper have to be wrapped with duct or rubber tape to keep the Cu from being exposed to the concrete.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
the plumbing is installed before the beams are dug.

when the beams are dug, there is always copper water lines criss-crossing them. These exposed bits of copper have to be wrapped with duct or rubber tape to keep the Cu from being exposed to the concrete.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh beams as in concrete, I'm thinking wood.

We did a slab on grade and all the water lines will run through the walls. The sewer lines ran below slab though and they are all plastic.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Well, i just had my first crisis on this job...

the pump truck company i had a reserved a truck for back on Tues bumped me for another pour... i have never used this company before, so i will not be doing so again.

so now i am looking at having to pour at 11:30AM instead of 7:30AM which means my finishers will be out working on the slab until 7-8 PM. ..and i will have to order up some faster setting concrete too.

Options:
1. Pour later in the day.

2. Gamble that the trucks can make it to the forms thru the mud and save the cost of the pumper and the extra for the quick setting concrete.

F$#$(%(*#@~~!!!

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
N8, isn't 1 day a little soon to start framing? Here in CA they give the concrete at lest 5 days after pour before framing.
Nope. Not a requirement here.

They will have the forms busted off, the lines popped and the sill plate down by Beer-thirty Saturday.

However, it will be a week before we tension the cables.

This is our standard operating proceedure. We use 3000 psi concrete generally but tomorrow we'll be using 5-sack in order to get it to set up a little quicker

BTW, i canceled the pump truck...we are gonna go at 0800 without it and hope the trucks dont get stuck. its a gamble but the odds are slighly in my favor on this.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
It's not a proper mansion, that's for sure. But it aspires in its outward appearance to be a mansion.

Therefore, a McMansion.

HTH.
Ohhh, so it's like they can't afford a real mansion so they buy a ****ty, small house that looks like a mansion. People suck. :plthumbsdown:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
N8, isn't 1 day a little soon to start framing? Here in CA they give the concrete at lest 5 days after pour before framing.
Depends on how much Calcium they add partly. We were framing on the slab the next day a few weeks ago.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Oh man.......you guys are wide open in this thread today. Watching N 8 and stosh flex their building knowledge muscles is highly entertaining!! :clapping:
Contractors, framers, plumbers, electricians all have their own way of doing things. I can NEVER find 2 contractors in the same profession who will tell you the same thing.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Contractors, framers, plumbers, electricians all have their own way of doing things. I can NEVER find 2 contractors in the same profession who will tell you the same thing.
true... many ways of doing the same thing really.

BTW, here's my weather gamble on no pump-truck for tomorrow... so far it's looking like we will have no more rain... hope it holds until tomorrow nite when it can rain all it wants on the new slab.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
true... many ways of doing the same thing really.

BTW, here's my weather gamble on no pump-truck for tomorrow... so far it's looking like we will have no more rain... hope it holds until tomorrow nite when it can rain all it wants on the new slab.

Can't they just use wheel barrows to move the concrete around. It's only a slab.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i just shingled another house, not that's too much of a big whoop tee doo. But the dough will bring me closer to another bikey.

i do such quality work.

i know for a fact n 8 doesn't even touch a tool, unless he's in the site porta-potty.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
i just shingled another house, not that's too much of a big whoop tee doo. But the dough will bring me closer to another bikey.

i do such quality work.

i know for a fact n 8 doesn't even touch a tool, unless he's in the site porta-potty.
this house has 16:12, 12:12, 10:12 and 9:12 roof pitches... interested?