Quantcast

Yet another boring house building thread

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
people want steep (9:12 min) pitches here because of Louisiana's enormous snow loads
moronville, population everyone.

it makes the house just look so top heavy. if there were any two storey houses it would make the roof look a lot less oppressive.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
moronville, population everyone.

it makes the house just look so top heavy. if there were any two storey houses it would make the roof look a lot less oppressive.
i hate it and i think it sucks. it adds quite a bit to the cost to build for a single story house for decking, rafters and roofing. it isnt even decked up there so you can't really use it for attic storage either - usually just above the garage is decked.

but nearly every subdiv covenent requires a minimum of 8:12 and most have a minimum of 9:12....

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i avoid getting on anything over a 5:12 nowadays. You either ride those pitches all the time so your body is used to it, or only when the offer is something you can't refuse. Even when i was younger and did alot of residential i hated anything over a 7:12. i guess it was mostly because i didn't use a safety harness.

But as far as aesthetics, that's all subjective.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
i avoid getting on anything over a 5:12 nowadays. You either ride those pitches all the time so your body is used to it, or only when the offer is something you can't refuse. Even when i was younger and did alot of residential i hated anything over a 7:12. i guess it was mostly because i didn't use a safety harness.

But as far as aesthetics, that's all subjective.
i remember back in 1999 we were paying roofers $10/sq for a 8:12...

its trippled now

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
so what's north carolina's excuse for no basement?
It is not needed, I would guess it is a more expensive option for square footage than just building a larger house. Northern climates require quite a deep foundation because of the frostline making basements kind of a no brainer.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Didn't you do a site inspection prior to pouring?
Thats pretty funny though.
it was missed by me and the plumbing inspector... not a typcial plumber screw up...

seems it was amature hour Tuesday afternoon

if this is the biggest crisis up on this job i'll be happy

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
so what's north carolina's excuse for no basement?
We have a basement its called Greenville.

Seriously, don't know why its not common. The neighborhood I grew up in didn't have them and those were some fairly old houses.

About 1/3 of the houses in my neighborhood have them but those are the ones where the lot slopes off to the golf course. So its more of a third floor than an actual basement.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
basements rule. just a few reasons:

wine cellar
bike shop/work area
storage for excess crap (aka, american syndrome)

without a basement, where would you put this stuff?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
basements rule. just a few reasons:

wine cellar
bike shop/work area
storage for excess crap (aka, american syndrome)

without a basement, where would you put this stuff?
it's pretty cool to double your house's sq_footage with the basement too... does the basement count as living area for resale?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the garage???
good luck stacking yr wine bottles in the garage. w/ cars in both bays, can you really set up a bike work area? a shed would work, but i imagine it's not heated, right?

N8, regardless of how finished it is, anything below grade can't technically be considered living area. at least that's how i understand it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
good luck stacking yr wine bottles in the garage. w/ cars in both bays, can you really set up a bike work area? a shed would work, but i imagine it's not heated, right?

N8, regardless of how finished it is, anything below grade can't technically be considered living area. at least that's how i understand it.
It is complete hell not living exactly the same as you but somehow people manage.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
actually, it is an issue if there's a fair amount of ledge...when we looked @ houses 10 years ago, there was one or two which had passive radon removal systems (basically a vent), and a radon test is part of every home inspection.

you guys are just jealous that my 1/2 empty paint cans, christmas decorations, 24 old mtb tires and smelly hockey gear is tucked in near my oil tank and not in my garage or shed.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
1) Cars don't go in garages. That's what the street and driveways are for.:rolleyes:

2) I don't drink wine so I don't need to stack bottles anywhere.

3) A bike area doesn't take up that much room.

4) What is this heat you talk about? It isn't that hard to hook up a window A/C unit.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
1) Cars don't go in garages. That's what the street and driveways are for.:rolleyes:
you got me there.

2) I don't drink wine so I don't need to stack bottles anywhere.
you got me there.

3) A bike area doesn't take up that much room.
you got me there.

4) What is this heat you talk about? It isn't that hard to hook up a window A/C unit.
you got me there.

westy is right.

i lived w/o a basement for 15 months. :plthumbsdown:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I just built my ****ty house on a lot that had an existing old shed on it. My bikes and me hide out there from the ladies of the house. Separate...no electricity...no company...just me, the dog and 4 year old Michelin mud tires...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I would rather have a Garage than a basement. Since it is worthless for anything else the basement just collects tons of crap. I would actually clean out my garage.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I would rather have a Garage than a basement. Since it is worthless for anything else the basement just collects tons of crap.
Speaking of,
our electrician told us that he saw a mexican drop a turd in our basement.
Which I guess is still there, because I can always think of something better to do than grabbing a flashlight and going on a turd hunt.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Speaking of,
our electrician told us that he saw a mexican drop a turd in our basement.
Which I guess is still there, because I can always think of something better to do than grabbing a flashlight and going on a turd hunt.
Flashlight? Sounds like you have a really tall crawlspace. My basement has lights, windows and the best thing ever: a drain in the middle of the floor. Every room in the house should have a drain in the middle of the floor.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
before we got drenched in a huge rain storm yesterday, my crew has the walls on the left side, the rear and the right side up...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
if only your crew had built my house instead of the complete shister that shoved our house down our throat and poured sewage in to wash it down...
it does pay to do some research on your home's builder that's for sure. esp with the current boom... it seems everyone thinks they can do it.

Here in La builders have a 7 year warrenty that goes with every new house.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
it does pay to do some research on your home's builder that's for sure. esp with the current boom... it seems everyone thinks they can do it.

Here in La builders have a 7 year warrenty that goes with every new house.
That's what is really pathetic about ours. Our builder lived in a monster of a house with every ornate and structural faet you can imagine.
But we went with a straight forward off-frame modular. But he tricked us in a lot of areas...somehow got us 8 foot ceilings instead of 9 foot, never seamed it together cleanly, let it get a lot of water damage, cut corners on materials, never really "finished" it.

But since none of it is structural, the state says there is no recourse.
Our contract was basic...it had the total cost and the type of house. The order form to the mod company didn't have a line to indicate ceiling height so that wasn't even an "oversight" on our part. Our yard still looks like a construction zone and there is debris...

Did I mention he skipped town and moved to South Carolina?