Quantcast

Yet another fork thread -1.5 specific.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Just had a ton of work done on the bike and on the first ride out the fork blows up. I've got a 2005 Sherman Breakout + that has been modified and I love the feel of it, but now that it needs ANOTHER rebuild I am considering biting the bullet and getting a new fork. In case you did not know it will be going on a Splinter MX with a lovely 1.5" HT. I'd prefer to stay with a 1.5 steerer, which limits the choices a bit (no Fox), but I'd like to hear any input you may have as to my options.

Here is a bit more info: ~200lbs in gear; I'm a decent rider (& improving) and generally pretty smooth, (but you can only be so smooth off a 10' drop or over a 20' gap, both of which I am at or approaching now). I live in Vancouver so it is Shore all the time for me with a good half dozen Whistler trips thrown in for good measure.

My options as I see them - 1.5" steerer Single crowns only, thanks:
RS Totem - mad seal problems and stupidly expensive. Not sold on it.
RS Lyrik - seems like a perfect match, and I might be able to get a solo air for not much $. Air OK for a bigger guy? Love to hear more on this one.
Manitou Travis 180 - mixed reviews on this one. Love it or hate it, but I've never ridden one. Can get one for pretty cheap.
Zoke 66 - heavy, but seems to be reliable.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I would be inclined to go with the lyric. Similar stiffness to your Sherman, great damping, long enough axle-crown. The lighter front end would feel very nice as well!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The problem is not that larger drops/gaps are rough by nature. It's just that they're built like sh1t on the shore:D

Of your options I'd say go with a totem. I've got a solo air and I've been pretty blown away with how well it performs. I'm also on my 3rd set of seals after about two months of ride time......they haven't started leaking yet after one ride so maybe that is fixed :D I've got some enduro seals on the way just in case. But the fork works like a champ.

Here's another solo air doing just fine at the woodlot. My buddy john bought this thing when they first came out and for some reason he's had zero seal problems. He had piston get funky on him after almost a year of hard use but that's it.

Why are you stuck on a 1.5 steerer though? That cuts out a large portion of very good and very appropriate forks.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Every fork on your list has had some issues. I've had a Totem coil for about a year or so with zero problems, and I know a few guys that have also had great experience with the solo air Totems. The Lyrics are similar in terms of durability/reliability - either way the consensus seems to be "Stay away from the Two-Step and you'll be fine."

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
^^Big guy who beats on his totem regularly FYI
Yep, thanks, should have mentioned that I'm about 200 lbs, the fork is on a Bullit, and it gets ridden. Among other places I had it at Northstar a bunch of times last season with no problems, not even after I crashed into Kidwoo. (Or was that an intentional T-Bone? The world will just have to keep guessing.)

(Gratuitous Northstar shot)

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
LOVE the Woodlot!

I am nowhere near hitting the Blood Donor gap though. I like the Totem, but how much stronger (if any) is it than the Lyrik. No 2 Step for me in either case. I also like the idea of dropping a pound and a half just by replacing the Sherman with a Lyrik.

I have only ever bottomed the Sherman (170mm) twice, both times just as the fork was in need of a rebuild, so I don't think I REALLY need 180mm. (Remember when 150mm was HUGE travel? Hell, I rode rigid for years and years.)