Quantcast

Yet another four more weeks in the cast!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Word from the doc is that it looks healed enough to start moving it and doing physical therapy several times a day, but I must wear my cast the rest of them time for another four weeks! I'm in a removable cast, so I can shower and all that, but another month?? After the four weeks, I have to get another CT scan, and if it looks good, then the cast is off in December. I'm officially 112 days post accident, and 100 post surgery. Arrrrrrr! :(

On a happier note, I think I'm going to order my new XC bike sometime this month!

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
I feel your pain, just gotta grin n bare it..........and have sneaky one handed (er just noticed that i'm assuming this is arm related so stop me anytime) rides about the place to make sure your legs still work.

Injuries bite like nothing else!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Hang in there. Its a long time till next season, but I bet all this time off will make you so hungry for competition. :thumb:

Sep 10, 2001
That was a schapoid, right?

If it is an option where you are at, try some road rides to help keep you a little sane and on a bike. I was a bad boy and after 3 months I couldn't stand it and started doing gates at the BMX track with my cast on... Flat pedals, wrist in an ackward position and still beat quite a few people to the first jump... Yes, that was dumb, but I was going crazy....

Brian

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Brian Peterson said:
That was a schapoid, right?

If it is an option where you are at, try some road rides to help keep you a little sane and on a bike. I was a bad boy and after 3 months I couldn't stand it and started doing gates at the BMX track with my cast on... Flat pedals, wrist in an ackward position and still beat quite a few people to the first jump... Yes, that was dumb, but I was going crazy....

Brian
Schapoid, radius, pisiform, and all the trimmings (ie ligaments/tendons/cartiledge,muscles)! Yeah, it's back enough in one piece that I'm starting to ride my cruiser again to run errands around town, which sounds pretty boring, but after that long off a bike, it's actually fun! Now that I can start moving it, I see much more activity in my near future!

Sep 10, 2001
I hear you.... I was stoked to get my XC bike on to the paved bike paths we have out here just to spin for a while. Along time off really makes you appriciate any kind of riding. Just don't get over anxious.... Happened to one of my former co-workers... It's an easy trap to fall into. Looking back, it really was to my advantage the doc left me in a cast. Kept me from jumping back on too soon.

Glad to hear it's healing...

Brian

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
The day before I was getting an arm cast (just above elbow) cut off, the POS hub on my beater 3 speed slipped as I cranked away from a light, hurling me over the bars. The impact shattered the 'glass cast and, according to the Dr, nearly broke my elbow! Good times...

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Brian Peterson said:
I hear you.... I was stoked to get my XC bike on to the paved bike paths we have out here just to spin for a while. Along time off really makes you appriciate any kind of riding. Just don't get over anxious.... Happened to one of my former co-workers... It's an easy trap to fall into. Looking back, it really was to my advantage the doc left me in a cast. Kept me from jumping back on too soon.

Glad to hear it's healing...

Brian

I hear ya there. My doctors got me all pumped because they said it looked almost 100% healed, and then dropped the bomb on me. Well, it looks really good, BUT, we think you'd benefit from another 4 weeks! Gotta love those medical professionals!

Tashi

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Patience, my sister and your recovery will go smoothly and properly. I had to sell my big bike and buy a roadie to keep myself out of trouble while my back heals, but that's what it takes to heal properly. I just kept thinking about riding it and not about the recovery work I needed to do. The frustration can be unbearable however, but that's good motivation once you're back on it!

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
DH Diva said:
I hear ya there. My doctors got me all pumped because they said it looked almost 100% healed, and then dropped the bomb on me. Well, it looks really good, BUT, we think you'd benefit from another 4 weeks! Gotta love those medical professionals!
you got lucky*! i did my shoulder 6months ago and the scapula (blade) still sticks out of my back.....fun when you can feel it almost everytime you lean against something, and the other lovely feeling of not having quite enough skin to stretch over it when i lift my arm up................feels good! :stosh:

has this just turned into the long-term medical woes thread?

EDIT: * ahem, that would be in the fact that it looks normal only.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I'm being pretty patient so far. I'm selling my DH bike, just so there is no temptation...and by the time I can ride a DH bike I'm surely going to want a new one anyways. But, to keep me sane I'm going to get a really sweet XC bike to start riding again on (crossing my fingers that I'm cleared to ride after new years!!!!!).

Once I feel comfortable again, I'm going to order up another big bike. So that way by the time I get it and build it, I will definetely be healed!! I'm most likely not going to be able to ride a freeride or DH bike at least until spring so there's no sense in keeping them around to tempt me! Depending on whether or not I'm in any phyisical condition to race, I'll either get another mono, or pick up a new fly!

And Scottishmark, your more than welcome to turn this into a long term medical woes thread! It's really quite theraputic. I've broken both my shoulders in the last five years too, so I know your pain! And by the way, my arm looking normal right now would be quite the stretch!

So one question for the long term casted club, did you all get really hairy under your casts??? EEEWWWW! I almost can't stand to look at my arm. I feel like one of the hobbits. Is this normal? I'm normally not an overly hairy person so it's creepin me out!

Hey Diva, sorry to hear about the extended sentence. Glad my 4 months of cast wearing is over. Good to hear you're making progress though. I'm 3-1/2 weeks post surgery for a Herbert screw in the ol scaphoid. Sounds like you've got your head in the right place about the temptation of riding above your current limit. (selling the DH rig.)

I probably shouldn't be riding much at all myself, but a little urban was in order after rebuilding the Slider+ last weekend. Mostly I've just been riding down to the beach and checking the surf every now and then. (Although the trails are calling my name, and very loudly at that.) Excellent choice on a new ride(s) by the way. Gotta love that Foes equipment!!

Oh and about the hairy arm thing? Definitely happens. Funny thing now though is that half my right arm was shaved for surgery. Looks hella funny still. The worst part is that all those little hair stubles make the incision area especially sensitive.

Anyway, keep your chin up, keep doing your physio and you'll back in the saddle in no time. :thumb:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Good choice! You'll love it, it's just so darn stiff!

Keep up the physical therapy, it made a big difference for me.

And here's some bike therapy;

(the FXR with the AM1 and interm Fox Vanilla RC which is now a DHX)

Attachments

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Jm_ said:
Good choice! You'll love it, it's just so darn stiff!

Keep up the physical therapy, it made a big difference for me.

And here's some bike therapy;

(the FXR with the AM1 and interm Fox Vanilla RC which is now a DHX)
I'm so stoked to get it! Thanks by the way for sending me all that info on your FXR a couple months back. In my drugged up stupper I think I forgot to PM you back. It was nice to hear that people have built theirs up fairly light. I was going to get mine in white, but Brent told me at interbike that they are discontinuing white and replacing it with a metallic silver. They had a couple their with the new color and they looked sweet. So I think I'm going with the silver. Not sure which fork to get yet but I think I know just about the rest of the parts I'm going to build it up with. How do you like the Marz you have on there? Is it relatively light??