Quantcast

Yet another... Ironhorse Sunday problem!

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
I finally got my warranty frame this week, and i built it up today. The original frame was warrantied for a spring rub issue (the spring rubbed around the seat tower). The problem with the new frame is that the threads in the bottom bracket aren't aligned. They've been chased (not faced though, but that shouldn't be an issue) and when the RHS cup is halfway in you can notice that the bb axel is angled down (towards the bottom of the shell). After installing the LHS cup, the axel is not spinning as freely as it should (and as it was on my old frame). At first we thought the bb axel was bent, but even after trying a different one it's still got the same problem.

Looking at it closely the frame, its hard to work out exacly how off the threads or frame is, but it means that even without a chain the cranks feel the same as running in the 40-11 combo with the chain. Both bbs we've tried (Truvativ Gigapipe ISIS and FSA Platinum Pro, both in 83x128mm sizes) have the same problem, so again its not an issue with the bottom brackets themselves.

This is the second problem i've had on an Ironhorse frame, and both have not been user problems, they're clearly factory f**kups. Both of the frames haven't even lasted long enough to destroy the shock hardware, they're rooted before i can even ride them. Is it too much to ask for an Ironhorse frame that doesn't have problems?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
The bottom bracket threads are machined at the same time, on a machine with a steel spindle that is over 1 inch in diameter. To get the threads so that they are not straight with each other is virtually impossible.

If you have a defective frame, the solution is quite simple, send it back to Iron Horse and get another one.

Sometimes things happen, and if there is an error with the manufacturing of the frame then it will obviously be switched out. Its about as simple of a process as it gets.

Dave

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
dw said:
The bottom bracket threads are machined at the same time, on a machine with a steel spindle that is over 1 inch in diameter. To get the threads so that they are not straight with each other is virtually impossible.

If you have a defective frame, the solution is quite simple, send it back to Iron Horse and get another one.

Sometimes things happen, and if there is an error with the manufacturing of the frame then it will obviously be switched out. Its about as simple of a process as it gets.

Dave
But 2 errors on 2 frames that have been sent to the same person... not good odds or anything- I'm either incredibly [un]lucky or theres a bigger problem here. I really like the bike, and it seems that they're finally durable frames, but surely both frames could have had there respective issues sorted prior to having them freighted to me. Not only does it cost IH more each time they send one to me, but its also costing me more each time, and with problems that are easy to see.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Daver said:
But 2 errors on 2 frames that have been sent to the same person... not good odds or anything- I'm either incredibly [un]lucky or theres a bigger problem here. I really like the bike, and it seems that they're finally durable frames, but surely both frames could have had there respective issues sorted prior to having them freighted to me. Not only does it cost IH more each time they send one to me, but its also costing me more each time, and with problems that are easy to see.
I'm sure they want you to have a good frame more than anyone, and I am sure that they are sorry for your situation and inconvenience and are doing anything they can to help you. I dont have a lot more to say on the subject, my Sunday is perfect and awesome, it came from the factry that way, yours is not. I am confident that soon ours both will be awesome.

Best of luck Dave

Dave

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
sounds like you cross-threaded the bb when putting it in. have you gotten the threads chased by a bb chasing tool since you tried installing the bb? once you put it in once incorrectly, the bb will follow that track each time you try to put it in.

or in other words, take it to a shop?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah I agree with Dante. If you chased it properly with a decent tool, the threads should be aligned - that's part of what chasing is about. Did you notice that you needed any extra effort or anything when you chased it?

Anyway, if it is defective, try to be patient. Stuff happens, what's most important is how they treat you. It's inconvenient but not the end of the world.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Is it a factory frame?
I found that the material used on factory frames is a little grabby on the threads in comparison to most bikes that I have worked on.
Its not a problem with the frame its just a little different from the norm. Perhaps due to materials used (DW correct me if this is garbage)
The first Sunday factory I saw get built in the shop I work in had the exact same problem but it was caused by a ham fisted mechanic. The problem was sorted by running a park BB chasing tool through the frame.
Hope you get it sorted but I think the chances are it was not a manufacturing issue.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
dante said:
sounds like you cross-threaded the bb when putting it in. have you gotten the threads chased by a bb chasing tool since you tried installing the bb? once you put it in once incorrectly, the bb will follow that track each time you try to put it in.

or in other words, take it to a shop?
The frame was chased (not faced) by my local shop, using arguably one o the best mechanics in Sydney. If a bb has already been installed, will re-chasing it do any more damage to the frame? I'm on holidays next week, so i might leave my frame with the shop and get them to do it again, especially if it will make more of a difference.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
which chasing tool did they use? there are two types, one that chases each side individually. then the other type that aligns boths sides and chases both of them together. you might wanna try the latter type.
good luck.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
I'm about to get another mechanic at a different shop to have a look at it and give his opinion, but the more people i speak to the more i'm getting told that re-chasing the threads won't do much as there's no paint or damage to the threads in the first place.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
If there are is no visible damage to the threads it was probably a bad BB to begin with. If there is damage to the threads it was probably cross threaded by the mechanic.