Quantcast

Yet another MBC tire question (SUBIE OUTBACK)

IAB has the outback wagon and we might replace the tires... 2 flats and 40,000 miles on the 04...

anyway, what are you running and do you like em? The stock tires are the bridgestone Potenza RE92s. He has no complaints but why not upgrade while he has the chance?

THANKS ALL!

(btw, been to tire rack so please don't tell me to go there).

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
two flats? bad luck hitting stuff, or faulty tires?

i had the firestones on the car i leased, and got some coopers. they were cheap and i couldn't tell the difference.

my wife's came w/ michies (wilderness? i can't exactly recall) and they were still going strong past 60K when we got rid of the car.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
I really like the Conti Extreme Contacts. Good wear, excellent rain tire and DAMMMMN quiet! I'm not sure if they make the size needed for an Outback. Mine is on a Jetta w/ +3 rims which needs a lowpro tire 205/40/R17.

Edit: $85.00 each at tirerack.com (hehehe, sorry) in said size.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Stay far far away from those RE92's. They also were on my WRX and they actually induced body roll because the sidewalls were so soft.

If your looking for a good all season for your OB (I know y'all drive in snow), look at the Sumitomo HTR, or the Continental Extreme (also mentioned above).

I know you don't need a high performance tire so I'll stay away from recommending any.

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
I have 20k on a set of "Pirelli P6 four season" tires on my Subaru Outback.
I'd give them about a 8 out of 10. They are better then the original tires. If the right price, I buy them again. They are much more quiet then the original tires that came on the car, but tire wear hasn't been as good. I'm sure part of the tire wear equation was the fact that it was hard to keep the alignment in good shape throughout this past winter - (Boston Potholes)...BUT, I got a real good price on them, (the tire guy screwed up on his quote, and luckily I got it in writing - so they had to honor it).

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
C.P. said:
alignment
and Subaru AWD are two words that don't go together. I knocked my right rear out of alignment in a rally by .75 deg. negative toe and destroyed a Pirelli P-Zero in about 4k. I know quite a few subie folk who take their cars in every 10k to have the alignment checked and it usually ends up getting adjusted.