Quantcast

yet ANOTHER problem with boxxer...

johnbrittain

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Amarillo, Texas
Last weekend me and about 7 other buddies took a trip up to Angel Fire for the hell of it. all was good until my last run when i hit a small drop going a bit too fast and bottomed the living sh!t out of my boxxer. when i got home last night i noticed that my boxxer seemed ''off'' a bit. It has about 4 or so inches of travel and then becomes extremely stiff, way stiffer than it was before. now a friend of mine did this to his and said something about it was his glide seals being pushed up around his cartridges or something like that.
anyone know what it could be???

edit: btw, its an '01 boxxer world cup

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
There are plastic glide rings that slip out of place fairly frequently. They get stuck around the bottom of the cartridge and bind up at a certain point. Most of the ones I've seen do this don't even let the fork move after they've slipped. Take it apart and you'll know immediately if that's the problem.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
kidwoo said:
You know, the red ones......unlike the race and team models which were red and red respectively.
you could have a race if you just chucked the compression leg!

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
kidwoo said:
There are plastic glide rings that slip out of place fairly frequently. They get stuck around the bottom of the cartridge and bind up at a certain point. Most of the ones I've seen do this don't even let the fork move after they've slipped. Take it apart and you'll know immediately if that's the problem.
ya...if it's a 2001 it has tapered stanchions and use a plait (JM loves this) glide rings. try to find a 2001 User Manual and take it apart. its pretty straight forward.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
kidwoo said:
What's a plait? Performance Lacking Accessory In Tube?
It's yet another sub-standard flawed part that you have to drill holes in...

But once you do, you can claim it is "blackboxed"!!!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Actually, I was being truthfull, there are oil ports in that gilde-ring thing, and if you swiss-cheese it by increasing the holes by a factor of 2 (making a total of 8, this will be on the test), it is supposed to make you radder and allow you to put black-box stickers on it. Performance gain was undetectable for me on my 1999 (i did it on my race too when I put a 2000 compression cart in it), but if someone had just told me that it was "blackboxed" I probably would have thought it was better.

See, there's almost an element of truth in what I'm saying!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Jm_ said:
Actually, I was being truthfull, there are oil ports in that gilde-ring thing, and if you swiss-cheese it by increasing the holes by a factor of 2 (making a total of 8, this will be on the test), it is supposed to make you radder and allow you to put black-box stickers on it. Performance gain was undetectable for me on my 1999 (i did it on my race too when I put a 2000 compression cart in it), but if someone had just told me that it was "blackboxed" I probably would have thought it was better.

See, there's almost an element of truth in what I'm saying!
Bollocks. Glide rings are the white plastic strips with a split in - they have no holes. You're thinking of "check valves" or something like that.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
- seb said:
Bollocks. Glide rings are the white plastic strips with a split in - they have no holes. You're thinking of "check valves" or something like that.

yeah im getting my stratos mixed up with my boxxer, while there is a glide ring in both, the glide ring in a stratos tends to crack and really mess up the damping..

the check valve is the one you can blackbox...

johnbrittain

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Amarillo, Texas
i saw a thread a couple days ago about opening my top caps to where the o ring is just above the top of my stantions and then compress the fork and tighten the top caps again so theres some negative pressure to make the fork feel more plush.... is that all there is to it??

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
johnbrittain said:
i saw a thread a couple days ago about opening my top caps to where the o ring is just above the top of my stantions and then compress the fork and tighten the top caps again so theres some negative pressure to make the fork feel more plush.... is that all there is to it??
euh....no.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Figure out your other issue and if necessary, replace the glide ring first. The best way to get negative pressure is to put your fork together on top of pike's peak and then go ride it a sea level. I should last a for about 3 strokes.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
kidwoo said:
Figure out your other issue and if necessary, replace the glide ring first. The best way to get negative pressure is to put your fork together on top of pike's peak and then go ride it a sea level. I should last a for about 3 strokes.
Steve Peat told me when we rode down b-line that he has Rock Shox do this to all his forks and the fork shuttle up Pike Peak will be next years BlackBox upgrade.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
jm_ time for you to go over the boxxer exploded view again so you at least have some substance to back your boxxer bashing up with

johnbrittain:
i would take a guess that your problem is any of the following 3 (in this order)

twisted lowers:
take the wheel off and see how far you have to twist the lowers in order to get the axle into the opposite side.
if you dont need any twisting, double check by loosening the crowns and sliding the stanchions down and out of the crowns and then checking the axle for alignment again.

broken glide ring/dinged lowers:
with the fork free from the bike and rightside up, undo the top caps one by one and compress the fork, if you notice an uneven amount of friction, first go over the lower leg and check for any (if you were unlucky enough to ding the lowers even slightly out of round JUST at the bushing, you can have a lof of binding happen, this goes for for 888s too). if you dont notice anything on the outside and the friction appears to be one-sided, then you will have to take apart the fork and damper.

bottom out bumper:
on 03 forks there was a freak problem that occured to boxxers when bottoming hard that was caused by parts of the rubber bottom out bumper being sucked into the base valve, sometimes it didnt let the fork rebound at all, other times weird things happened that might be similar to the problems you were describing.

johnbrittain

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Amarillo, Texas
thanks a ton! i thought that the fork was an '01 but since they didnt have world cup's in '01 i am assuming its an '02 then, so it can't be the last one about the bottom out bumper. and i will need to get new glide rings if they are shoved up around the lower part of the cartridge?

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
johnbrittain said:
thanks a ton! i thought that the fork was an '01 but since they didnt have world cup's in '01 i am assuming its an '02 then, so it can't be the last one about the bottom out bumper. and i will need to get new glide rings if they are shoved up around the lower part of the cartridge?
weren’t WC introduced in 03?

and > 2002 Boxxers didn't have any glide rings since they moved to straight wall tubing.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Acadian said:
weren’t WC introduced in 03?

and > 2002 Boxxers didn't have any glide rings since they moved to straight wall tubing.

yes and yes

ways to spot them

2000 is red with red crowns

2001 metallic deep red with red crowns and checker graphics

2002 metallic deep red with red crowns and checker graphics, with an upper crown that has two bolts on the steerer.

2003 different colors but all have black crowns. race is silver, team is black, wc is raw

2004 same as 2003 but race is now black, team is now silver.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
bibs said:
hey, do you have to burp a boxxer like you do a marazzochi? ya know release some air? mine is really stiff , all of a sudden....maybe from riding Whislter 40 billion times ??..hhhmm?
try...it takes 20 seconds.

riding Whistler 40 billion times - but you don't show up when I'm there!! :mumble:

;)

CraigH

Chimp
Jan 15, 2002
Vancouver, BC Canada
johnbrittain said:
yes i would like a copy of that, thanks very much, if you could email me the manual then that would be great.
Your email here is turned off. If you don't want to turn it on, email me.

BTW, I also have electronic copies of the previous manuals, spare parts guide, service manual & tuning guide that I can send you if you want.

I don't have an electronic copy of the 2002 manual though.

B-boy

Chimp
Jan 26, 2002
Prince George/Terrace , B.C.
On the topic of the glide ring, does anyone have a trick for reinstalling the damper/glide ring into the upper tubes WITHOUT that stupid "tool" that is a 2" piece of judy stanchion??

My 01 boxxer lie in ruin next to me... and it could become whole again if only I could do this and know it was done right.. :help:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
B-boy said:
On the topic of the glide ring, does anyone have a trick for reinstalling the damper/glide ring into the upper tubes WITHOUT that stupid "tool" that is a 2" piece of judy stanchion??

My 01 boxxer lie in ruin next to me... and it could become whole again if only I could do this and know it was done right.. :help:
just make a cylinder out of a piece of cardboard then push them in? heck I think a few layers of foil would also work?

B-boy

Chimp
Jan 26, 2002
Prince George/Terrace , B.C.
Acadian said:
just make a cylinder out of a piece of cardboard then push them in? heck I think a few layers of foil would also work?
Ok thx acadian, I'll give that a shot.. I was under the impression that the judy tube had to butt up against something in the uppers before it could come out..

man what a goofy thing that glide ring is.. :nuts:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
B-boy said:
Ok thx acadian, I'll give that a shot.. I was under the impression that the judy tube had to butt up against something in the uppers before it could come out..
I think so, but is you make a cylinder long enough it should work..

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
B-boy said:
a empty toilet paper roll, a pair of scissors and some scotch tape... much nicer than bucking up your old faithful Judy! :p

thx again man
haha...when I suggested the cardboard...that is exactly what I was thinking of ;) :cool:

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
vitox said:
<snip>

bottom out bumper:
on 03 forks there was a freak problem that occured to boxxers when bottoming hard that was caused by parts of the rubber bottom out bumper being sucked into the base valve, sometimes it didnt let the fork rebound at all, other times weird things happened that might be similar to the problems you were describing.

This just happened to me on the weekend. Amazing how a 1/4 inch thick "O" (I use this term loosly, as it technically has a square profile) ring can fit into a 16th of an inch gap! Though mine was on the compression side, therfor no compression.

CraigH

Chimp
Jan 15, 2002
Vancouver, BC Canada
lockemiester said:
This just happened to me on the weekend. Amazing how a 1/4 inch thick "O" (I use this term loosly, as it technically has a square profile) ring can fit into a 16th of an inch gap! Though mine was on the compression side, therfor no compression.
When I was at the Rock Shox truck at Whistler on Sunday, another guy was having the same problem. Apparently there is a replacement bottom out bumper or something that stops this from happening. Maybe contact RS?