Quantcast

Yet another reason I love living in Nor Cal...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The one thing I really like from my travels to Ca is the abundance of tasty fresh fruits an vegetables. They can be found here at home but requires extra $$ and drives to specialty stores.

J

JRB

meh...we have those in So Texas too, and it kind of sucks living down there.

*by lighter, did you mean HUGE????

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Westy said:
The one thing I really like from my travels to Ca is the abundance of tasty fresh fruits an vegetables. They can be found here at home but requires extra $$ and drives to specialty stores.
Well...to get the kind you have to buy from roadside fruitstands or the dude in the bank parking lot...I saw him yesterday and crossed 6 lanes of traffic on the wrong side of the road and nearly ran over an old lady with a walker to get to him...

J

JRB

dh girlie said:
Well...to get the kind you have to buy from roadside fruitstands or the dude in the bank parking lot...I saw him yesterday and crossed 6 lanes of traffic on the wrong side of the road and nearly ran over an old lady with a walker to get to him...
Are you drinking and driving again???

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Hmmm...here is some interesting facts on strawburrrrries:

<> the strawberry <>

facts
<> member of the Rosacea (Rose) family
<> botanical name - Frugaria, which means "fragrance" in latin

possible name origins
<> practice of placing straw around the growing plants for protection
<> over 1000 years ago because of the runners which spred from the plant
<> derived from the Angl-Saxon verb to strew (spread) and the fruit came to be known as streabergen, straberry, streberie, straibery, straubery and finally "strawberry" in english

places
<> Wepion, Belgium - "The World Capital of Strawberries"
<> Plant City, Flordia - "The Winter Strawberry Capital of the World"
<> Strawberry, Arizona
<> Strawberry, California
<> Strawberry Mountain in Oregon
<> Mansikkala, Finland - translated it means "The Place of the Strawberry"

foklore
<> provincial France - strawberries were thought to be an aphrodisiac of the highest quality
<> Victorian language of flowers - strawberry represent absolute perfection
<> medival times - strawberries were carved on altars and around the tops of pillars of churches to symbolize perfection and righteousness, and strawberries were served at important occasions to ensure peace and propsperity
<> strawberries were considered scared to the Goddess of Love and the Virgin Mary
<> double strawberry - lengend says that if you break it in half and give half of it to the member of the opposite sex, you will fall in love with that person

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
The smaller ones are even better and sweeter, at least in the Santa Cruz area. While the big ones are nice because they prevent arm pump from having to reach into the box every 2 seconds, the smaller ones make up for the extra effort with the same amount of sweetness in a tiny package. Mmmmmm. Cali is where it's at. Especially NorCal. We need to blow up LA.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Zark said:
Umm So-Cal as Strawberries too DHG ;)

Can you say Daquiri time?

Right...but uh...so cal sucks! hhaha! just kidding...but for some reason, Watsonville near Santa Cruz pumps out the MAD strawburrrries!

I went to this SWANKY martoooni bar and they had this strawburrrrry infused vodka with lemonade...I had like 5 or 6...stuff creeps up on you...my bloodsugar was high as hell for a bit, but goddamn...those were GOOD!

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
bikenweed said:
The smaller ones are even better and sweeter, at least in the Santa Cruz area. While the big ones are nice because they prevent arm pump from having to reach into the box every 2 seconds, the smaller ones make up for the extra effort with the same amount of sweetness in a tiny package. Mmmmmm. Cali is where it's at. Especially NorCal. We need to blow up LA.

Cali is where they put the mack down! Yeah sometimes the big ones aren't that sweet...in this case, the entire batch is sweet...most of em are huge, but they do bury the smaller strawburrrrries on the bottom...but thats ok...as you said, they are just as tasty and joooooooooooooooocy!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Good strawberries are the fruit of the Gods. Growing up in Michigan we had kickass strawberries for about a month each summer. :drool:

Wife and I had some spectacular strawberries on the way from Sac to Monterey just along the side of a road.

CostCo has lately been getting super-tasty berries from Mexico and Cali. Sometimes it's a crapshoot, though.

-S.S.-

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
dh girlie said:
Right...but uh...so cal sucks! hhaha! just kidding...but for some reason, Watsonville near Santa Cruz pumps out the MAD strawburrrries!

I went to this SWANKY martoooni bar and they had this strawburrrrry infused vodka with lemonade...I had like 5 or 6...stuff creeps up on you...my bloodsugar was high as hell for a bit, but goddamn...those were GOOD!
Oxnard and Camarillo have huge fields and roadside stands, its pretty kick ass.

Strawberry margaritas kick some serious butt too. I have a feeling Towelie could whip some mean ones, that guy is the Margarita king :thumb:

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
TreeSaw said:
:drool: Now I want strawberries and I have to wait until June/July to get them around here :think:
That sucks. I have been waiting for this guy in the bank parking lot since the last batch of strawburrrrries last summer. I was so stoked a couple of weeks ago when I saw him there...it's like 8 bucks for that whole box. Its such a same that the window of opportunity is so small for great strawburrrrries. A shame indeed. :(

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
SkaredShtles said:
Good strawberries are the fruit of the Gods. Growing up in Michigan we had kickass strawberries for about a month each summer. :drool:

Wife and I had some spectacular strawberries on the way from Sac to Monterey just along the side of a road.

CostCo has lately been getting super-tasty berries from Mexico and Cali. Sometimes it's a crapshoot, though.

-S.S.-
Hmmm...probably in Stockton or Watsonville...was it closer to Monterey? As I said before...Watsonville has the fattest mad strawburrrrries I've ever had.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Zark said:
Oxnard and Camarillo have huge fields and roadside stands, its pretty kick ass.

Strawberry margaritas kick some serious butt too. I have a feeling Towelie could whip some mean ones, that guy is the Margarita king :thumb:
Yep...roadside stands are where its at with fruit...I wouldn't waste my time, effort or money on that garbage they try to pass off as frooooot in the grocery store...I have been getting some decent anjou pears and red deeelishus apples at the grocery store recently...I never thought you could f up red deeeelishus apples but Albertsons manages to do so. this dude that sells in the bank parking lot has mangos on occasion too...he pimps the mad frooooot!

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
dh girlie said:
Yes it is...it is the northern part of the state. When you get down toward SLO it's more central california.
Not according to these guys:

California is easily divisible by three, so why is it that most people struggle with the math? Using coastal landmarks as boundaries, the long division is basic: Northern California begins at the Oregon border and ends midway across the Golden Gate Bridge. Everything from the Golden Gate to Point Conception is Central California. From Point Conception to the Mexican border is Southern California.

Three easy pieces, right? It's not so easy.

Ask any 10 surfers where Santa Cruz is and the majority will respond: "Northern California." The same goes for San Francisco. "NorCal, dude." The confusion is understandable. Most of the Santa Cruz guys would call themselves NorCal, and there's a NorCal Surf Shop in Pacifica.

But the truth is, none of these places are NorCal. Santa Cruz, San Francisco and everything in between are all south of the Golden Gate Bridge and well within the Central California boundary.

http://www.surfline.com/travel/surfmaps/us/sanfrancisco_monterey/index.cfm

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Wumpus said:
Not according to these guys:

California is easily divisible by three, so why is it that most people struggle with the math? Using coastal landmarks as boundaries, the long division is basic: Northern California begins at the Oregon border and ends midway across the Golden Gate Bridge. Everything from the Golden Gate to Point Conception is Central California. From Point Conception to the Mexican border is Southern California.

Three easy pieces, right? It's not so easy.

Ask any 10 surfers where Santa Cruz is and the majority will respond: "Northern California." The same goes for San Francisco. "NorCal, dude." The confusion is understandable. Most of the Santa Cruz guys would call themselves NorCal, and there's a NorCal Surf Shop in Pacifica.

But the truth is, none of these places are NorCal. Santa Cruz, San Francisco and everything in between are all south of the Golden Gate Bridge and well within the Central California boundary.

http://www.surfline.com/travel/surfmaps/us/sanfrancisco_monterey/index.cfm

One day it will be divided into two. We'll be like the dakotas and the carlolinas...

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Wumpus said:
I was trying to find the initiative when they were trying to get the split vote on the ballot, but no luck.
That's ok...I suppose if you sliced the state into 3, this area would be Central California...however, if you sliced the state in two...it would fall into the northern region...I don't take too much stuff surfers say seriously. A lot of the santa cruz surfers are just tools from elsewhere and not really from santa cruz and they all fight each other in the water.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
dh girlie said:
Say outloud...strawberries. Not that fun...now....say out loud...STRAWBURRRRRRRIES...now THATS fun!
I beg to differ.

Strawburries sounds like something you'd hear at a Jeff Foxworthy comedy show or something. ;) :p