Quantcast

Yet another TdF doping scandal...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
it seems to me that the simplest solution would be a lifetime ban from cycling if caught. One to two years in not enough of a threat while a lifetime ban would be.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/ap/20080718/tsp-cyc-tour-de-france-6e81073.html

Officials at the Tour de France scrambled Thursday to limit fallout from the third doping bust in this year's race, which netted the biggest name yet: Italian star Riccardo Ricco, a winner of two stages.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Take it to the road forum! :) I don't think a lifetime ban is appropriate, two years is enough to ruin most people's career. Harsher penalties for drug crimes have had zero effect in the U.S., how do you think this would be different? Ricco is young enough that he could admit guilt, repent and still have a good career ahead of him....look at Miller

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
force them to race DH on the WCI circuit for a year. no DNS/DNFs allowed.
Some of those roadie pros could probably run near the top. Others like tyler Hamilton wouldn't even be able to make it out of the starting gate withough a major injury.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
from teh wiki:
wikipedia said:
Riccardo Riccò (born 1 September 1983 in Formigine) is a disgraced former professional road bicycle racer from Italy.
damn, that was fast

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
it seems to me that the simplest solution would be a lifetime ban from cycling if caught. One to two years in not enough of a threat while a lifetime ban would be.

Nah with the mentality of roadies, you could haul them off to the side of the road against the nearest brick wall and give them a firing squad in public, and there would still be tards trying to sneak past the ban.
The pressures to win plus the ego's at the level means there will always be some who will risk it regardless of the penalty.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
you really need to consider fcuking off for a while - i'm having a moment pretending i may seriously consider this

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Cadel Evans has the yellow jersey. Cadel Evans is an ex-mtbkr. Cadel Evans is from Australia. The TDF is as pure as the driven snow. QED cunts.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
If you want to go to moab, there's shlt tons of really fun trail riding.
only been once; did porcupine loop on the bullit (a little too much bike, shoulda had teh scalpel)

it's kind of hard to justify leaving colorado to go ride, but if i did, it would be back east w/ some leaves in the fall. i'm ghey like that.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
only been once; did porcupine loop on the bullit (a little too much bike, shoulda had teh scalpel)

it's kind of hard to justify leaving colorado to go ride, but if i did, it would be back east w/ some leaves in the fall. i'm ghey like that.
Moab kicks ass. And it's closer.

I'll never poo poo a trip to pisgah though. I've considered moving back east if I could get a job in asheville.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
Nah with the mentality of roadies, you could haul them off to the side of the road against the nearest brick wall and give them a firing squad in public, and there would still be tards trying to sneak past the ban.
The pressures to win plus the ego's at the level means there will always be some who will risk it regardless of the penalty.
Have you ever heard of Jerome Chiotti, Wade Bootes, Filip Meirhaeghe, and Paola Pezzo? I guess they had the mentality of roadies, but wait, weren't they mountain bikers? But I guess they didn't have egos, unlike those nasty roadies.

Give it a break. All sports have cheaters; it's just that they're making a serious effort to catch them in pro road cycling, unlike in the NFL, MLB, NHL, and NBA. Could you imagine what the NFL would look like with unaltered humans playing; you'd have 200 lb linebackers and linemen instead of 400 lb beef cattle. Or MLB with non-steroidal hitters; you'd see guys hitting 40 HRs max a year and 95 mph fastballs.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
hey, there are some singletrack trails.

$tinkle: destined for a 29er. Nuff said.

westy, which top road riders would make good DH riders? cadel evans? do you think any top XC riders could land a top 5 result in a DH race?

Westy smokey da besty in da westy.

No way in hell those anorexic fags could hold onto the bars on a UCI dh track long enough to get down the hill in one piece. Even cadel was friggin dirt road racer.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
westy, which top road riders would make good DH riders? cadel evans? do you think any top XC riders could land a top 5 result in a DH race?
Just because Cadel raced mountain bikes doesn't mean he can ride downhill....look at Rasmussen, I shook my head every time I watched him ride down a hill, he would crash for no apparent reason

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
hey, there are some singletrack trails.

McEwen could probably pick it up real quick. He's an old BMXer. He jumps traffic islands at 60 kph and can one-hand wheelie his road bike as far as he wants. Landis same thing. Ryder Hesjedal is a local, and I've seen him do some techical stuff at speed on the MTB. Of course, he was a top XC guy. Pereiro tried a gap jump yesterday in the Tour, but he forgot his bike and didn't land it too good.

But nobody could really do it all at once since the days of John Tomac. I don't think a person could simultaneously train their bodies to the top level of road or XC and have the time to develop world-class DH skills. May as well ask the question: "Which DH rider could finish top 5 in the Tour?"

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
McEwen could probably pick it up real quick. He's an old BMXer. He jumps traffic islands at 60 kph and can one-hand wheelie his road bike as far as he wants. Landis same thing. Ryder Hesjedal is a local, and I've seen him do some techical stuff at speed on the MTB. Of course, he was a top XC guy. Pereiro tried a gap jump yesterday in the Tour, but he forgot his bike and didn't land it too good.

But nobody could really do it all at once since the days of John Tomac. I don't think a person could simultaneously train their bodies to the top level of road or XC and have the time to develop world-class DH skills. May as well ask the question: "Which DH rider could finish top 5 in the Tour?"
It would be hard to believe a person who can ride 6 hours a day at the highest level could switch off to pedal as hard as a Brian Lopes or a Sam Hill for 2.5 minutes.

I would think endurance racing, 100 milers, is definitely within any road racer. Landis is doing that.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
It would be hard to believe a person who can ride 6 hours a day at the highest level could switch off to pedal as hard as a Brian Lopes or a Sam Hill for 2.5 minutes.

I would think endurance racing, 100 milers, is definitely within any road racer. Landis is doing that.
The climbers and guys chasing or making attacks are at the red line for several minutes on end. The difference is that it isn't over when the pace slows down a bit, and it happens over and over during a race. It's not the DH type fitness that a top roadie would lack, it's the awesome techical skills.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
It's not the DH type fitness that a top roadie would lack, it's the awesome techical skills.
absolutely. that's why i was surprised by Westy's claim.

from all the pro XC NORBA and UCI races i've seen, most of the guys would pick up their bike and cyclocross run through any 'technical' area.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
absolutely. that's why i was surprised by Westy's claim.

from all the pro XC NORBA and UCI races i've seen, most of the guys would pick up their bike and cyclocross run through any 'technical' area.
Maybe on the Euro side things are a bit different but this side of the pond few pro's start life on a road bike. Many start on dirt and move on. Most of those guys are simply exceptional athletes that if given time to practice/train they could be very competative in a different type of riding. I don't know of any XC pro's that have moved on to the roadie world like Ryder and Floyd but some of the local ones I have riden with have exceptional technical skills.

XC racing is less about time and more about position. I've bailed on certain technical sections during races that I always hit on normal rides. Better off taking an extra second and getting through clean than risking a crash, dropped chain or something else that can cause you a place.

Last edited:

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
Westy's right on the part about running tech sections in a race that you'd nail no problem on a ride. You pay a few seconds to possible save minutes or worse. I've been on group rides at various times and places with Rollie Green and Ryder Hesjedal and Seamus McGrath and Andreas Hestler and Alison Sydor and I can tell you they all have smokin' techical skills. Not to mention Geoff Kabush; he rocks too. But on skinny no-tread tires with full adrenaline and redlined heartrate on race day, most of those guys (and gals) will play it safe. No armor, you know.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The climbers and guys chasing or making attacks are at the red line for several minutes on end. The difference is that it isn't over when the pace slows down a bit, and it happens over and over during a race. It's not the DH type fitness that a top roadie would lack, it's the awesome techical skills.
Well, that too!

In the sprinting sports like BMX, DS, DH, or track, their efforts are just a few minutes.

I am sure the endurance efforts than every road racer, from Cavendish to Cadel, limits their ability to have a pure burst of speed.

I remember the training sessions for Marty Nothstein, the American track sprinter. He weighed 200+lbs and his longest road ride during his track days was just 2 hours long.

No way he could he compete with any road race sprinter on a 70+ mile race, but none of those guys showed up to the velodrome either.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
Ya, it's like comparing marathon runners and sprinters, almost totally different sports except that they both happen to involve your legs.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
I am just wondering if there should be a 'tour de drugs' where it's just legal to do whatever substances you want. It'd be hilarious. Watching all the ultra-competitive asses tanking up some alpine switchbacks, trying not to have aneurysms.