Quantcast

Yet another "which frame" thread...

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
Okay, so the two frames/bikes of the day are:

-'03 Stab Primo with the Fox DH prototype shock, Shivers, D321 Disc wheelset, the stock bike for that year basically
-'04 Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 with the 5th, and '05 Boxxers of some sort (those will probably go first thing), similar build to the Stab Primo past that

They're both going for the same price for the complete bikes, both mediums. I just want to know what people thing of the two frames from riding experience on them. I know more people will have time on the Stab Primo but still want to know more about them as well. All the people I'm going to be riding with ride the same Stab Primo setups and they are all faster than he!!. I'm a big fan on the high pivot single pivot designs since they seem like they carry their speed a little better though rough stuff. With all that said, I'd like to hear what anyone has to say about the handling characteristics/geometry, durability, stiffness, ease of maintenance, etc. etc. Thanks in advance guys. :thumb:

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
the shock wave is really noisy and its using a 5th, bad... what fork it the stab with?
right now i would say go for the stab. its more of a dh RACE bike, the 9.5... :think: just a dh bike. hope this helps.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
At this point of the season i would wait another 2-3 months when people start unloading bikes during the winter......you'll find the best deals then....

What is most important is the condition of the bike when buying used......

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
WHAT?!

-Go for the Shockwave 9.5! Probably better quality craftsmanship.

-Fox DH "prototype" eh??? Didn't they have problems with those when they came out??? As far as I know, the production shocks for those Stab Primo's were regular Fox RC's with remote resevoirs...the point is, the 5th will be better.

-I don't think the Stab is any more of a race bike than the 9.5. The dropmachine.com team were using Shockwaves a little while ago.

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
The Stab Primo has Shivers on it, and the production Fox shock with the remote res. (it was a prototype for the current DHX and was made in limited quantities). I'm looking for an all around DH bike, not a racer, though I know each of them can be set up as racers. I haven't really had a chance to compare the quality of the construction of the two face to face, so anyone who's had actual experience with them I'd like to hear from.

-Thanks again

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
my vote would be for the shockwave even though it will be louder going down the trail the craftsmanship is better and you can get it for the same price as a kona that is a year older