Quantcast

Yet some more Super T oil/spring questions

SLAYER2003

Monkey
May 1, 2003
Bellingham, WA
First, I have searched these forums and have found the help I was seeking for oil and such, but here are more.

I weigh about 220 lbs and ride an 03 Super-T. I have raised my oil level slightly higher from the reccomended level for my weight. It is about 70mm from the top of stanchion with upper springs removed and rods compressed. Is this the proper way to measure oil level? Do I remove lower springs as well?

Also, I have upgraded to Extra Heavy springs (yellow). I have replace the Upper springs with these. Is this correct, or do these replace the lower ones?

So, I have raised the oil (stock 7.5 wt) and put in heavier springs and I still bottom pretty hard off anything 3 ft or more. Should I raise even more oil, go to 10 wt oil, or are my new springs supposed to replace the lower ones and not upper?

Thanks

Phatswalla

Chimp
Jun 14, 2002
Seattle, WA
You want to take out both sets of springs and compress the fork/rods fully compressed. Make sure you pump the rods a bit to fill the cartridge with oil.

I don't have the tech manual for the 03 but the 02 was 100mm from the top. Anyone? You probably don't want to put in more than 10-15 over the recommend height, depending on what the spec height or you might blow the seals.

You are suppose to replace both sets of springs if you want the weight rating of the new kit. If they feel too heavy you might try using the yellow short spring and the stock long ones so you get a stiffer rate towards the end of the travel.

I would stick with the stock weight oil and try raising the level before going to thicker oil. Thicker oil will only slow everything down (compression/rebound). You'll still need more of it to keep from bottoming.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
On the 2002s, "stock" oil height is 70mm from top with the lower springs in, and 100mm from the top with the lower springs OUT. There's a lot of confusion surrounding this, Brian P finally cleared it up on here about a year ago, but that thread is probably long gone (old threads get wiped in the DH forum). I'm pretty sure that the '03s are gonna be about the same.

They usually come from the factory under-filled so they'll be lighter, that's why by adding oil, you arrived at "stock" height.

At any rate, you should add oil in 5mm increments until you get it to where it's not bottoming anymore. Regardless of what the "recommended" height is.

It doesn't matter which springs are on top, so you're fine there.

As Phats pointed out, heavier oil won't do anything, it's the oil height that affects bottoming, not the weight. However, you may find that with the extra-heavy springs, the fork rebounds too fast and can't be slowed down enough. In THAT case, use 10wt oil.