huckability
and whether or not we'll have to use aftermarket crowns

Oh, and colors... I say teal green. :)

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
bizutch said:
Spoke80's bro works there and can't weasel even an inkling of info out of him. Yeti must have a government contract.....:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
stoney98 said:
Well, I'll be the first to say that this is totally different then the bike I was told about. Guess I heard about one of the early proto's....
Does anyone know "leprechaun"... 28 post with info on a crazy new design that no one else seems to know about.

Maybe I'm just in a skeptical mood...

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The Leprechaun is a reliable source. Just because he doesn't have 10,000 posts doesn't mean he isn't in the know.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
scottishmark said:
will there be a version for freeriding?

I would venture to guess that the new design will go through the whole line; XC, "freeride, and DH.

But what do I know. :p

yetifan

Chimp
Sep 20, 2004
am working on trying to get the very first official pics of all 05 yeti's on my site- www.yetifan.com

visit the 2005 page, it should have some info soon.

this thread is the best news/info I have see yet,

Andrew

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
profro said:
You know how to break rear derailleurs. But I bet you're liking the replaceable hanger. :nopity:

True dat bro! I can probably make my own gear box set up with all my shrapnel.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Damn True said:
C'mon, someone has to have photos!
Yeti had a dealer demo this weekend in Keystone, and have also sent out CAD drawings to all Yeti dealers, with instructions that the info is not to go public just yet. So I really doubt any body that made it to the dealer demo was allowed to take pics... :D

I've seen some of the schematics, and the thing is CRAZY. I'm in, for sure. I also talked to a friend that rode it over the weekend, and he's really impressed. Tracks extremely well, is lively enough to get off the ground at will, lighter than a DH9, stiffer than a single pivot bike, soaks THROUGH bumps (he said it accelerate through square edged hits like mad) and the best thing...

It corners like it's on rails.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Full Trucker said:
Yeti had a dealer demo this weekend in Keystone, and have also sent out CAD drawings to all Yeti dealers, with instructions that the info is not to go public just yet. So I really doubt any body that made it to the dealer demo was allowed to take pics... :D

I've seen some of the schematics, and the thing is CRAZY. I'm in, for sure. I also talked to a friend that rode it over the weekend, and he's really impressed. Tracks extremely well, is lively enough to get off the ground at will, lighter than a DH9, stiffer than a single pivot bike, soaks THROUGH bumps (he said it accelerate through square edged hits like mad) and the best thing...

Sounds like we've been hoodwigged....again...

I know that Yetis are a mythical creature but damn this is lame.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Damn True said:
Yeti's typically do corner very well.
Is the rear still Lawill?
Not a Lawill. At all. Axle path is kind of like J, sort of like a VPP would be. Has a rearward arching axlepath for the first 75% of it's travel, then archs forward for the final 25%. All with NO PIVOTS. None. Sip. Zero. Gazeebo. Notta. It's sick.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Ok guys we're getting a photo svcanned right now!!
it will be 2 computer drwaings that YETI gave me. 1 is at 0 sag and 2 will be at 1/2 travel so you can see the cars moving down the rails and how the shock is compressed.
The proto i rode used rails that were quite different than what will be used in production,they were a simplified version thay was easier to make for proto purposes.They didn't use hardned steel and had to be kept under the skirt cover to keep clean,secret(since they JUST got the patent applied for) and frankly so no one would laugh or freak out at the looks cuz it looked very strange due to the way they made the proto rails.There was a possibility of geting pinched by the top rail.
The final rails do look kinda like train tracks,and are Stainnless.Listen up on the following since you can't see this in the pic.The rollers are stainless too and look like a bearing inside of a disk thay has a deep groove in it. The groove rides on the rail,which has a fin on it ,actually to get more descriptive,the main rail looks sorta like a mushroom,allowing 2 rollers on back and 2 more on the front.So there are 4 rollers on the main rail,2 front,2 back,and 3 rollers on the top rail 2 on one side for the high compression load and 1 on the other side to guide it back on the rebound stroke.The main rail takes most of the side load,twisting load,etc so it has the 4 burly rollers.
OK so these rollers are similar to what is used in CNC machines that guide the tables.CNC's roll through a bunch of chips from the machining process.The groove and fin design pushes the crap out of the way as it moves. Also the tables have to roll freely and must remain absolutely solid with zero play or the machine would chatter like crazy and not be able to be precise.
Now i am not saying that this system will be ideal for mud but just relaying info to you boys.I do however trust the Yeti engeneer.
The proto weighs 10.5 lbs.
You guys don't know me? it says at the bottom of my post who i am...
so now i am buying time while we try to hook up the fax machine to the computer to scan an image -can't find the program..might run up to kinkos to get it scanned onto a disk.
PS for you who says this post is worthless w/o a pic,well i could have just waited to post info til today but i thought you would like to know some info so quit yer cryin!!!

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
leprechaun said:
PS for you who says this post is worthless w/o a pic,well i could have just waited to post info til today but i thought you would like to know some info so quit yer cryin!!!
Thanks Krispy

oh and can I take an educated guess? - Go-Ride.com will be distributing those new frames? :rolleyes: :devil: :p

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Full Trucker said:
nice pun...

leprechaun said:
You guys don't know me? it says at the bottom of my post who i am...
All right already, I got it when Acadian posted... Jeez, sorry for being skepticl of something posted on the internet. I'll remember to beleive everything from now on :blah:
*for those of you who might not of picked up on it... this is humor/sarcasm*

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
So it uses some type of slider joints???

If so, it's an interesting concept and cool to see some out of the box thinking as far as pivot design. I'm more or less interested in how they were able to keep the cost down (hopefully) and make it low maintanence.

Another thing I guess we will find out later is if the same axle/coupler curve could have been produced using four normal links and pivots.

In anycase, I guess we will have to keep waiting :(

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Funky Monk said:
I've trying to come up with a image of the frame based on the description, surprisingly with no luck :rolleyes:

Can't wait for the pic...!
I could quickly sketch it out, but the CADD renderings that Krispy has are going to do it WAY more justice, so I'd hang on for that business right there.

By the way... anyone wanna buy my DH9? I hear it's going at an extrememly reasonable price these days... :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Hmm.. I have a much better idea of how it works thanks to that last post.. That's pretty interesting. Great theory, it'll be interesting to see how it holds up in practice. I wouldn't really expect a crappy product from Yeti, though, and given how highly regarded the DH-9 is, they'd be fools to release something terrible/unproven (on the testing beds at least) to take its place.

Anxiously awaiting pictures, just like everyone else :D

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
The rail/bearing blocks Krispy was talking about should have a resemblance to this pic. Obviously I am guessing and these come in many different sizes and styles, but the idea on how they move is the same.

Attachments

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
S.G.D said:
looks flexy.....

oh, wait we're not there yet.

~SGD
Don't be stupid. You can't tell if it's flexy until you've seen a picture of the frame.

I heard it won't be able to clear a 3.0 tire, though :angry:

;)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Yeah, I second the thought of big shoes to fill be replacing the DH9. I just got on board one back in May and it was like finally realizing what it should be like. I can't believe how well the DH9 corners and I hope the new bike keeps the same charactistics.

Oh yeah, I'll have a 2004 DH9 for sell as soon as I can get my grubby little paws on the new one. ;)

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
binary visions said:
Don't be stupid. You can't tell if it's flexy until you've seen a picture of the frame.
I don't know, I have a filing cabinet (no, not a 223) with rails similar to Insitigators pic. At full extension it's pretty flexy.