Quantcast

Yeti 303 grease ports

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I noticed the grease ports for the '08 303 are smaller than the previous models. So instead of searching for a specific grease-gun nozzle, I filled down the nose of a typical gun and drilled a shallow indent to allow the nozzle to fit over the port. Works much better than the supplied syringe.

One question for any knowledgeable folk however:
The horizontal rail's cart on the 303 is fine when injecting grease. All goes to plan and excess grease squirts out the cart.

However, the vertical rail's cart will not accept grease. I have tried inserting a pin into the grease port's hole to clear any blockage, but still no luck.

Any ideas?

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
You could always take the car off of the rail and try to clean it from the other side. Also I bought a needle tip fitting for my grease gun, theres a ton of pressure behind it that could probably push any debris out.

Hope this helps.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
It did, actually. :cheers:

I went and applied a lot more force to the grease gun and it seemed to 'give'. I'm guessing it was blocked with some of the sh1t I've been riding in.:redface:

Next question for any Yeti riders:

What grease are you using?

I have a tube of Manitou's 'Prep M' and some tubes of Weltite Lithium grease.

The Weldtite seems very thick and sticky (hard to wipe off excess), while the Prep M is very light (I have heard this grease is amongst the best out there and no longer available though)....

Yeti's website suggests white lithium grease. Is this what Weldtite's grease is? If so, I'm not fussed on using it. Too damn messy.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
It did, actually. :cheers:

I went and applied a lot more force to the grease gun and it seemed to 'give'. I'm guessing it was blocked with some of the sh1t I've been riding in.:redface:

Next question for any Yeti riders:

What grease are you using?

I have a tube of Manitou's 'Prep M' and some tubes of Weltite Lithium grease.

The Weldtite seems very thick and sticky (hard to wipe off excess), while the Prep M is very light (I have heard this grease is amongst the best out there and no longer available though)....

Yeti's website suggests white lithium grease. Is this what Weldtite's grease is? If so, I'm not fussed on using it. Too damn messy.
Yeti has changed their position on white lithium grease. They have suggested using shimano "SPECIAL" grease. I have used both on my 303. I also purchased a grease gun from Jenson USA and it works very well. Literally 5 seconds and I'm good to go. So nice!!

I use this one:
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/imgWrapper.aspx?img=/tl/TL408J01SIL.jpg&type=3

I've also seen Yeti use this Grease tool:
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/imgWrapper.aspx?img=/17/MICROLUBE GUN.JPG&type=3

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Damion mixes his own brew from some Shimano grease and another (I've forgotten) grease. Not sure how long he'll have it for as he had to 'steal' it in the first place. Hopefully he can 'appropriate' some more from Shimano.

I think I'll stick to the PrepM until I can find something else.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Right now I am running the Progold EXP grease as it had the lithium.

Is the shimano "special" grease this stuff?

I need to pick up a grease gun at my next payday. I was able to get some into the vert car with the supplied injector, but not enough. Cheated some and lubed the rail some too.

Does anyone know where I can get the frame guide tool they have? I think it inserts into the upper car's bolt line. The Yeti guy at the Sea Otter was telling me about it.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I don't know what frame guide tool you mean...

As for the shimano grease, it could be. In which case he didn't steal it. I wonder what he mixes it with and how he gets it in the tube...

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Ive been using white lithium with PTFE from mcmaster carr. I bought a 14 oz cartridge for my grease gun and a 1 lb tub for my syringe that I carry in my camelback. Cost about $10 for everything and Ill probably never have to buy more grease for as long as I own the bike. It held up well against the mud and debris at massanutten and performs well at diablo. I dont have much to compare it against but this was my grease routine between the conditions. Mud once every 3 runs. didnt notice any sticking. Diablo once every 6-8 runs. I also run my glove on the top rail as a judge after each run if it doesnt glide easily I lube it up.

Ive never been able to cheat and grease the rail it seemed like the wipers just kept everything out.

Mcmaster part # 1380K22

Also this is a pretty damn good video
http://www.yeticycles.com/#/videovault/ go to Tips Product// Ride

Last edited:

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I found the syringe was rubbish at applying grease.

I bought a FinishLine grease gun (similar to this), but found the nozzle wasn't 'needle' enough (I mentioned the '08 ports seem smaller than previous models) to get the grease in there. So I filed the tip down flat and used a dremel's small drill bit to drill a shallow indent. Now the nozzle fits snugly over the grease port's nipple and works fantastically.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I found the syringe was rubbish at applying grease.

I bought a FinishLine grease gun (similar to this), but found the nozzle wasn't 'needle' enough (I mentioned the '08 ports seem smaller than previous models) to get the grease in there. So I filed the tip down flat and used a dremel's small drill bit to drill a shallow indent. Now the nozzle fits snugly over the grease port's nipple and works fantastically.
I agree the syringe is rubbish. Once you get the right tools to grease the rails, the bike becomes even more fun to ride and maintenance is a snap!:cheers: