Quantcast

yeti 303

DH SB RIDER

Monkey
Aug 31, 2005
Santa Barbara
why do all the pros think that the yeti is faster over the squere edged rockgardns......is it a good frame for dh trail riding and racing...how heavy is it

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
konastab01 said:
Its meant to be pretty heavy but ride well.Or so I have been told
Until you can back your opinion up with something other than hearsay (ie: experience), please shut the hell up. Everything is "meant" to ride well.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
thaflyinfatman said:
Until you can back your opinion up with something other than hearsay (ie: experience), please shut the hell up. Everything is "meant" to ride well.
everything is meant to ride,right what ever.I was told but some one who has ridden one actaully :blah:

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
konastab01 said:
everything is meant to ride,right what ever.I was told but some one who has ridden one actaully :blah:
Uh huh. And I spoke to a guy who knows another guy who is friends with someone who has ridden one, and he said they suck.

In short: 2nd/3rd/4th hand information means nothing. Unless you've ridden it yourself (or are prepared to directly pass on someone else's exact comments) then don't expect people to take your comments seriously. It's a waste of your time and ours.

gonzostrike

Monkey
May 21, 2002
Montana
thaflyinfatman said:
Uh huh. And I spoke to a guy who knows another guy who is friends with someone who has ridden one, and he said they suck.

In short: 2nd/3rd/4th hand information means nothing. Unless you've ridden it yourself (or are prepared to directly pass on someone else's exact comments) then don't expect people to take your comments seriously. It's a waste of your time and ours.
but it's impressive on PinkBike!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
thaflyinfatman:

Jesus fatman... RELAX.

We're NOT being graded on this part of the assignment, O.K.?

Grab a bag of chips, some beer, ease yourself into that Lazy-Boy and let your tension melt away... Or just scream into a pillow. Whichever.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
thaflyinfatman said:

Cripes...get this boy some ridolan...

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
S.K.C. said:
thaflyinfatman:

Jesus fatman... RELAX.

We're NOT being graded on this part of the assignment, O.K.?

Grab a bag of chips, some beer, ease yourself into that Lazy-Boy and let your tension melt away... Or just scream into a pillow. Whichever.
I'm not pissed off, I'm making the point that saying "I heard ____" is completely useless. Which it is. I hear a lot of things, if I regurgitated them all then you'd hear a lot of bull**** and a lot of contradictions.

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
Okay, I can clear some of this up since I own one. The Yeti is definitely the fastest bike I have ever ridden over any squared edged hits because of it's rearward wheel pattern. It's not flexy, that was just rumors from some of the first prototypes almost a year ago. That has since been fixed. On top of that, it pedals better than any virtual pivot point bike I have ever ridden and no it doesn't stick up in the mud.

If you can get your hands on one when they do the production run... do it!!! You won't find a better riding DH bike.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I'd love to get my grubby little paws on one for a couple runs down something fast and bumpy.
Yeti has come up with some pretty cool stuff, and this frame is no exception.

gonzostrike

Monkey
May 21, 2002
Montana
thaflyinfatman said:
I'm not pissed off, I'm making the point that saying "I heard ____" is completely useless. Which it is. I hear a lot of things, if I regurgitated them all then you'd hear a lot of bull**** and a lot of contradictions.
not only that, a fairly serious DH forum gets polluted with PinkBike "I know someone who knows someone whose mom knows someone whose brother used to ride a Yeti in 1975"

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
Kevin said:
I think the 303 is a pretty awsome frame. I saw one in the beginning of this year and I was very impressed...
Yeah, but I saw a really fat lady once, I was impressed but that didn't mean I wanted to ride her...

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
DHblur said:
Okay, I can clear some of this up since I own one. The Yeti is definitely the fastest bike I have ever ridden over any squared edged hits because of it's rearward wheel pattern. It's not flexy, that was just rumors from some of the first prototypes almost a year ago. That has since been fixed. On top of that, it pedals better than any virtual pivot point bike I have ever ridden and no it doesn't stick up in the mud.

If you can get your hands on one when they do the production run... do it!!! You won't find a better riding DH bike.

See kiddies? This ^^ is useful information. Thank you DHblur.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
ragin-sagin said:
uh huh. Hey DHblur, your sponsored by Yeti right?
Ah right. So you'd rather hear opinions from someone who hasn't even ridden the bike than from someone who (despite possibly being biased) HAS spent a considerable amount of time on one? Nice work.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
They're heavy and the protos were flexy as. And thats from someone who rode the proto. AFAIK the team bikes are roughly 1 pound lighter than a DH9, so say ~12.5 pounds for the frame and shock, and again, thats straight from a team rider.

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
It sounds like there are a few people riding these now. Are these just the team and the RPM gang? Any more input from those guys would be appreciated.

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
1. ^ Thank you.
2. thaflyinfatman ref'd you fools
3. My single pivot has a rearward axle path as well.

any SB riders ride with riffle? steal his bike for a run next time.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i,ve been riding and racing mt. bikes for over 20yrs. for the past yr. and a half, a yeti d.h.9 has been my weapon of choice. no bike has ever treated me better. i cant wait to get my hands on my own 303. its the only bike i would even think about buying sight un-seen. you cant tell me it wont be one of the best d.h. frames $$$ can buy.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
rbx said:
What about chaingrowth issues??
I wouldn't consider the wheelpath to be rearward at all. It is the most vertical wheelpath I have ever seen. So yes, there will be chaingrowth.

I love the rail technology that Yeti is using, however I am not sure if I like the application. The Foes Mono is able to accomplish basically the same wheelpath/shock rate but without the rails.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Are you basing that off of the linkage program? That's not nearly accurate enough to base any info. about wheelpath and shock rate. The initial design (not sure about now), was to have curved rails to achieve the exact wheelpath the rider wanted. I'm not sure if they're straight now, or what they will come with stock, or if there will be aftermarket rails for a tuned wheelpath. At any rate, I'm almost positive that they've been using a rearward, at least initially, axle path.

Yeti's Site said:
When we came up with our new 303 suspension technology, we based it on a pretty simple premise – make our racers go faster. We studied videos of our racers on course, we listened to their feedback about various suspension designs and then we went to work. Our starting point was to create a suspension design that was extremely efficient (not affected by pedaling or braking forces), had an adjustable wheel path (so we could tailor it specifically for the rider and course), and have a rate that was optimal for the new shock technologies. Where we ended up was revolutionary.

Utilizing linear rails instead of traditional pivots, we gave the wheel the freedom to first move rearward and then up as it moved through its travel. This makes it extremely effective on square-edged bumps, the kind that our racers said slowed them down the most when racing. Because the main pivot rails are perpendicular to braking and pedaling forces, the system is unaffected by these forces.
Remember, even if it *looks* vertical, a slightly rearward initial axlepath can make a HUGE difference in the overall bump absorbtion.

Edit: And in response to the chain growth issues, I don't believe there is much of a problem. WheelieMan isn't entirely wrong about having a vertical axlepath -- it is rearward for about four inches, then moves straight up for two, then in for that last three inches. Overall chaingrowth is minimal compared to a BB7, or the like, since with those, the axle is moving in a rearward path through most of the travel. The first seven or so inches are moving in a rearward path, then the top two inches on a BB7 start moving inward again, and even at that, those two inches are nearly vertical. (I am by no means positive about the 7"/2" separation, but it works logically. 9" of travel, the pivot is 7" above BB, after it rotates past 7", the axle is above the pivot point, thus on the top-side of the circle -- up/inward axlepath). I guess I went on a bit of a tangent there, but overall, the 303's axlepath looks vertical, while the BB7/high-pivot single piv. is much more rearward, so less growth.

Attachments

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
dhbuilder said:
you cant tell me it wont be one of the best d.h. frames $$$ can buy.
Hahaha, that's rich. You can't tell me that it will be one of the best until you've ridden it, and even then you won't know anything about durability.

It's a promising mouse trap, but let's all just step away from the Koolaid.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I had the pleasure this past weekend to talk to some Yeti guys about the 303. Yeti has lightened the Frame set by 1lb by making changes to the swing area and the head tube area. (Jared Graves was riding the latest version of the Yeti 303 @ the Worlds) Pro Ross Milan told me it's the best riding bike he has ever ridden for DH. I had a chance to sit on one and I couldnt believe the feel of it. So smooth and plush. That bike is pimp from top to bottom. I'm so excited to get mine built when the frame is released. I could go into detail of what I was told has changed, but I hate typing. It would take too long to explain by typing. But I'm told the release date is upon us and the final kinks are being worked out of the design on a daily basis. It seems to me that Yeti has worked their behinds off to make the design of the 303 the best DH design out there.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
hey OGRipper: check out the yeti web-site . look in the gallery at the "flow" section. see all that beautiful rockstrewn trail my buddy is riding? his bike and two other d.h.9's have been ripping it up there for a few years now. durability is the furthest thing from our mind. i dout the 303 will turn out to be a noodle.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
dhbuilder said:
hey OGRipper: check out the yeti web-site . look in the gallery at the "flow" section. see all that beautiful rockstrewn trail my buddy is riding? his bike and two other d.h.9's have been ripping it up there for a few years now. durability is the furthest thing from our mind. i dout the 303 will turn out to be a noodle.

Thanks for that completely unbiased opinion, but as you know, as compared to the DH9, the 303 is a completely different bike, with a completely new design, and no hack consumer durability or performance results. Yes I know it's been under racers for a while, and yes I know Tyler Klassen is supposedly riding Yeti, that is all well and good. Personally I'll wait for some consumer feedback on the production version, and take the chance that I'll get left behind by the revolution.

Your confidence in Yeti is touching, and I hope it works out for you.
Like I said, I think it's a promising bike. I haven't said anything negative about it and I look forward to checking it out.