Quantcast

Yeti 303.............

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Jeremy R said:
Made in the US, sold to the UK.:help:
People have been waiting on those 303's longer than slaves looking for their 40 acres and a mule.
Gnarly!

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
UiUiUiUi said:
does anybody know the reason for the delay?

it's not like i want a 303 nor can i afford one, i am just curious. :)
The internals of the rail-slider are hand carved from from the pelvic bone of the amazonian river sloth which are bread for their skills in magic. So you could imagine the logistics involved.

And the first round of rear triangles were said to be sub par.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
I like how they actually show you how the suspension works with their animations. Unfotunately there is nothing that they can show me that would convince me that this frame is worth $3500. Ouch!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Lex said:
I like how they actually show you how the suspension works with their animations. Unfotunately there is nothing that they can show me that would convince me that this frame is worth $3500. Ouch!

yeah it really is an awesome site. I like the wheel path one, check out the rear brake cable up near the bars :D

So they totally changed that thing from the prototypes? The rail looks really different from the proto one I saw at Snowshoe last year.....:think:

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Have you SEEN them in the UK?
April 23- It just says they're shipping. We're a top 5 US dealer and have not seen one,they can't even say just when they will be ready.They're still waiting for a couple of parts to arrive before they can assemble them.They're saying a couple weeks or so.
Not bashing them-They're trying to invent new technology and it simply takes time.They've been honest with what's going on there.Everything else has been shipping on time and going well.

Our 1 guy who has been waiting for one and had sold his old DH bike 4 months ago is hanging by a thread-if it's not here by the Angel Fire CO race it's gonna be a Sunday.(It's gonna be a Sunday)

Nice Turq MRP wheels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Time to kill.....

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Yeah-That's gotta be the nicest bike site i've seen- I have 2 Yetis and looking at just the paint options makes me want a new bike!!!

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
the animations are really nice, but i was looking at them for a while and after that i couldnt help but wonder about whats so special with those rail cars, after all, they backpedalled on the funky wheelpat/wavey rails issue, and it looks like the whole setup was flexy enough to warrant a traditional bearing/pivot swing link stiffening thingy muy a-la-foes.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
vitox said:
the animations are really nice, but i was looking at them for a while and after that i couldnt help but wonder about whats so special with those rail cars, after all, they backpedalled on the funky wheelpat/wavey rails issue, and it looks like the whole setup was flexy enough to warrant a traditional bearing/pivot swing link stiffening thingy muy a-la-foes.
That was my point about the price. What's so special about this bike to warrant the price tag? I know it's a Yeti with the hand-made this and that, but what are the real-world benefits of this design?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Lex said:
That was my point about the price. What's so special about this bike to warrant the price tag? I know it's a Yeti with the hand-made this and that, but what are the real-world benefits of this design?
marketing 101 - it does not need to be better. it only needs to be different. as long as there is the perception by the public that it is better, the price tag justifies itself (it costs more, so it must be an improvement).

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
mandown said:
marketing 101 - it does not need to be better. it only needs to be different. as long as there is the perception by the public that it is better, the price tag justifies itself (it costs more, so it must be an improvement).
I guess in a world where people are desperate for the next new/best thing that would be true. Oh wait. That describes the downhill scene pretty well, so I guess you're right.:)

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Lex said:
I guess in a world where people are desperate for the next new/best thing that would be true. Oh wait. That describes the downhill scene pretty well, so I guess you're right.:)

My thoughts exactly!

and I like the sig :thumb:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Lex said:
yeah. top level pro racers need every fraction of a second. this design might help them squeeze that fraction. the average joe on in the sport class is probably running enough drag on his brake rotors to offset any time savings generated by an improved suspension design. but this is america and if you want the feeling of top performance and you can afford it, then you should have it. hell, i don't need bmw (the car) performance in LA traffic. however, i like the way those cars ride and would love to have one (but i spend all my money on bikes).

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
leprechaun said:
Our 1 guy who has been waiting for one and had sold his old DH bike 4 months ago is hanging by a thread-if it's not here by the Angel Fire CO race it's gonna be a Sunday.(It's gonna be a Sunday)..
Mani would probably take a medium Sunday. Go ahead and order it for him. :)

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
mandown said:
yeah. top level pro racers need every fraction of a second. this design might help them squeeze that fraction. the average joe on in the sport class is probably running enough drag on his brake rotors to offset any time savings generated by an improved suspension design. but this is america and if you want the feeling of top performance and you can afford it, then you should have it. hell, i don't need bmw (the car) performance in LA traffic. however, i like the way those cars ride and would love to have one (but i spend all my money on bikes).
i'm sure the suspension works great. . . too bad it's bolted to a boat anchor.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
I love it, " No I think zee Sunday is a piece of S&%T, I will wait on zee 303, you are a beater." Mani on a sunday, poetic I think.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Acadian, sinatorJ, Profo,

Here is a smiley for you:

:eviltongu :eviltongu :eviltongu :eviltongu :eviltongu

Haha

(BTW, JP, I dont remenber saying bad things about the Sunday though. So if I get one it would not be a full turn around... just a half ;) )

See you guys at Angelfire... on a 303!... or else

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Mani_UT said:
Acadian, sinatorJ, Profo,

Here is a smiley for you:

:eviltongu :eviltongu :eviltongu :eviltongu :eviltongu

Haha

(BTW, JP, I dont remenber saying bad things about the Sunday though. So if I get one it would not be a full turn around... just a half ;) )

See you guys at Angelfire... on a 303!... or else
Mani, get a Morewood Izimu. Its 75% faster than a Yeti. :cool:

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
what a bunch of monkey motion for the slightest variation in axle
path and leverage ratio. i bet i could not feel anything new skipping
over rocks and flat tracking around down a dh track.

:rolleyes:

but they do look clean.............

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
bcd said:
what a bunch of monkey motion for the slightest variation in axle path and leverage ratio.
I agree with you there! The reason I want one is the cool engineering and the "thinking outside the box". Two aspects you got to relate to yourself I'd think!

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Mani_UT said:
I agree with you there! The reason I want one is the cool engineering and the "thinking outside the box". Two aspects you got to relate to yourself I'd think!
i wise man once told me about design

" ..if it doesn't improve upon a current design, start looking somewhere else."

i don't think sliders are an improvement to bearings and should have been trashed. now they have a design that they are selling b/c its "outside the box". and they will sell a ton b/c it is. not that it works better than bearings/links. ir does get around vpp/dwlink
problems and achives the same thing. if that is what you are looking to buy. a bunch of monkey motion for mm's of change.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
bcd said:
i wise man once told me about design
" ..if it doesn't improve upon a current design, start looking somewhere else.".
Except it has the POTENTIAL to improve over current design. You cannot compare a fully mature technology with an emerging one in terms of efficiency. It might be a dead end. May be not. The fact that it works "as well" is I think enough for me to reward the innovation attempt by buying the product and consequently give it a chance to mature.

It is a little like composite bikes. Currently they have nothing over metal but they have the potential to. In that regard I think it is worth encouraging development in that field rather that dismiss it as a marketing gimmick.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
It doesn't have a new or different wheelpath, so there is nothing redeeming about making the bike more complex. It is a more complicated way to make a lawill bike basically. Whoop DEE. It has nice geometry though.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Even though I'm not a huge fan of Yeti's implementation of the rail technology, I do have to give them props for the wonderful website. Despite the occasional marketing BS (which admittedly almost every company is guilty of) they have everything that you could possibly want to know about the 303 put together in a very tasteful manner. Beautiful.

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
I love how people make such big assumptions and deciesions on product before it has even come to market. after riding one for over a year now and seeing and/or riding every emerging upgrade since i can honestly say this bike is nothing like I have ever ridden.

do a side by side test run on your favorite trail comparing a Morewood, Sunday, 303, and V-10. All have their strong points but their are many more upsides to the way this suspension reacts and responds to terrain and rider input than many others. the only downsides i have found are that it is a bit Stout. complete bike with moderate race build tips in at 43.3 (digital scale) Plus side is that you know its not going to bust underneath you...ever.

as for them being in the UK...their may be one or 2 of the last pre-production proto's. But the Production version are waiting on the finalized rails and cars (with grease ports like all bearing should have)

someone mentioned slight variation in axle path...using that argument. the new non-FSR turners should respond to braking and pedaling just like the FSR ones, right? Look at the big picture..not just the corner of the page...

appologies for the lengthy post...i like the new website..alot

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
#gim·mick Audio pronunciation of "gimmick" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (gmk)
n.

1. A device employed to cheat, deceive, or trick, especially a mechanism for the secret and dishonest control of gambling apparatus.
2. An innovative or unusual mechanical contrivance; a gadget.

#

1. An innovative stratagem or scheme employed especially to promote a project: an advertising gimmick.
2. A significant feature that is obscured, misrepresented, or not readily evident; a catch.

oh yeti, what happened to you?

we came so far
and fought so long
but in the end,
your bikes are made in china

ps i know not all of them are...but what the hell.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
leprechaun said:
Have you SEEN them in the UK?
April 23- It just says they're shipping. We're a top 5 US dealer and have not seen one,they can't even say just when they will be ready.They're still waiting for a couple of parts to arrive before they can assemble them.They're saying a couple weeks or so.
Not bashing them-They're trying to invent new technology and it simply takes time.They've been honest with what's going on there.Everything else has been shipping on time and going well.

Our 1 guy who has been waiting for one and had sold his old DH bike 4 months ago is hanging by a thread-if it's not here by the Angel Fire CO race it's gonna be a Sunday.(It's gonna be a Sunday)

Nice Turq MRP wheels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Time to kill.....
Krispy I got you beat, I resigned my post as general shop goon over at Adrenaline about 6 months ago, we had a guy that Yeti refered to us who was from Japan, anyhoo he had been on the waiting list for about 18 months, witch makes it almost 2 years now. STILL NO FRAME! I love my 575, but wouldn't touch the 303, just on principal.

I will now only be buying Foes, Moots and Marin bike for a good long while.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
maxyedor said:
he had been on the waiting list for about 18 months, witch makes it almost 2 years now. STILL NO FRAME!
Yeah now THAT is patience!!
I pre ordered mine in early november I think so that's only 6 months ;)
Luckily between the ski season and house shopping I did not stress about it too much but NOW would be a good time!!! Angel Fire is in 25 days!!!

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
So i spoke with the head gorilla at Yeti early today.
303s have indeed shipped.Team guys have them and some did go to the UK. Zero have been shipped to dealers.The 1 we have on order is not on the way yet and don't know just how long it will be.Waiting for a call back to find out just how long it will be before it will get here.

So that means they have all the parts, they actually came together and work, and eventually they all will ship.Officially not vaporware anymore (if you're fast enough to be sponsored at this point-but still).

As for those who are convinced it is a gimmic, watch the wheeelpath vids on the site.Linkage bikes aren't moving in this way.They must have recieved the patents since they have the wheelpath and IC mapped and moving in the vids. The bike goes up and then back,which is a little different than other VPP bikes.Most VPPs go back then up then usually foreward a bit. The IC is in line with the chainring at sag and a good bit in front of the downtube so it feels like a vertical wheelpath bike so there is no feedback, but then it begins to move more rearward from there which probably keeps it from squishing down more when pedaling hard. This also lets it take big sharp hits very well.This describes the feeling i got when riding the last generation proto in the fall.It did not feel slow but also had no feedback. It appeares to get pretty long at bottmout though,not sure how it will be in tighter corners. Basically the faster you go the better it will feel. The rail under the top tube look more tilted up than ever before sending the rear wheel even more rearward. Zedro and crew where are you???
Probably it will feel better than say a Sunday at speed but more of a handfull in tight woods. Probably a bit more controlled feel than V10 due to the longer shock and consistant rising rate.The V10 seems to be a good blend of not getting too long but still gobble rocks. Just using those 2 bikes as comparison since they're the 2 hottest VPP bikes.I like all 3.
The Sunday would work better for me being smaller and handling better in tighter areas but if i was a bigger guy and aspired to be faster in west coast/Vermont/WC stuff the 303 has the most potential. I may not be the prime candidate for this bike but i can think of a whole lot of dudes who could go a lot faster on this bike than ever before. Look around at your crew and pick out the ones who can't keep their wheels straight and are constantly wrecking bikes.The maulers.The ones who look like Aussies on their bikes,not the silky frenchmen.(except MannyUt).These are the people of whom i'm speaking.
OK i'm out.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
leprechaun said:
The bike goes up and then back,which is a little different than other VPP bikes.Most VPPs go back then up then usually foreward a bit. The IC is in line with the chainring at sag and a good bit in front of the downtube so it feels like a vertical wheelpath bike so there is no feedback, but then it begins to move more rearward from there which probably keeps it from squishing down more when pedaling hard. This also lets it take big sharp hits very well.This describes the feeling i got when riding the last generation proto in the fall.It did not feel slow but also had no feedback. It appeares to get pretty long at bottmout though,not sure how it will be in tighter corners.
i didnt say it was a gimmick but it does seem like the objectives themselves stated moved them to go rail, arent being met.
meaning they are using a conventional linkage to counter the flex in the cars, and it also would seem no weight was saved, now if the real bike has that wheel path you mention then there would be new ground covered but the one on the website has the IC always in front of the axle and that way you cant but have the wheel arc forwards, not back as you mention.

benno

Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
I overhead (and prolly wasn't supposed to) that there's still too much stiction in the suspension.