Quantcast

Yeti 4X for trail use?

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Any input on how trail-worthy the 4X is? Would it be too cramped to do a 10-15 mile trail ride? I primarily want it for DJ's/screwing around but it'd be a huge bonus if I could use it as a semi-legit trailbike...

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Is it a XC bike... no, but I've seen people ride 10-15 miles on all kinds of crap. I'll go out on a limb and say.... YES. I ride my Yeti DJ as a trail bike. Its not the best XC position for long rides, but I've easily done 10-15 miles. The DJ and 4x are supposed to have very similar numbers.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
stoney98 said:
no. Tried it once. Never again.
If by similar numbers you mean the 4x has .5" shorter TT, .5" longer CS, and a .25" lower BB, then yes.
Hmmm that sounds like it may have been painful ;) Thanks for the info...steering away now...

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
stoney98 said:
no. Tried it once. Never again.
If by similar numbers you mean the 4x has .5" shorter TT, .5" longer CS, and a .25" lower BB, then yes.
How?

My yeti 4x has the exact same geometry as a Yeti DJ save for slightly longer chainstays (.25") and higher bb (.75"). I love it as a trail bike, but you will want to run taller forks than you would for specific 4x stuff. I recently changed from Fox 36s to Shermans and the shermans sit an inch lower on the same travel setting (110mm). The only downside is that the bike feels a little sketchy in steep stuff, hence why i think the taller fork would be better for trailriding (a 130mm Talas would be ideal- wind it down for 4x and then run it at full travel for trail stuff.

They have been "team issue" bikes since the last production run, however yeti is going to be bringing another run back into production very shortly (as soon as the 303s are completed). They will be different to the "special projects" frames.

SuperBad

Chimp
Feb 27, 2006
Daver said:
How?

They have been "team issue" bikes since the last production run, however yeti is going to be bringing another run back into production very shortly (as soon as the 303s are completed). They will be different to the "special projects" frames.

Any idea what the differences will be? I almost bought the 4X back when they did the first run, and I kicked myself for not getting one. At the same time $2500 for a frame was alot of $$$ for me to spend on a bike I had not ridden.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
SuperBad said:
Any idea what the differences will be? I almost bought the 4X back when they did the first run, and I kicked myself for not getting one. At the same time $2500 for a frame was alot of $$$ for me to spend on a bike I had not ridden.
Not too sure yet, i'm only going on what Rowney told me. I assume it will not have the machined linkages (with the engraved logos) and i think the tubing is a different shape. It will still ride the same, but it will be different enough to keep the original one's exclusivity.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
You could do it, you can sort of ride xc with any 4X bike. You should probably get a real XC bike if you're going to make a habit of long rides. 4X bikes are really fun for smoother downhills though.