Quantcast

Yeti 4x... the last of a kind.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
Finished building this over the last few weeks. AFAIK it's the last 4x of the production line (and the last one available). I had to pry it off the distributors hands...

Weighs in at 35 pounds, ready just in time for the first national 4x round...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
just curious, have you ridden the Bling Bling/ Larsen TT for a while? how do you like it? that's what i was running on my DOC, and found the 2 tires to feel too different to be comfortable for me. i thought the combo would be perfect, but rather found myself not getting used to the feel of the Bling Bling in the front.

but anywho...god damn, that's nice.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
the Inbred said:
just curious, have you ridden the Bling Bling/ Larsen TT for a while? how do you like it? that's what i was running on my DOC, and found the 2 tires to feel too different to be comfortable for me. i thought the combo would be perfect, but rather found myself not getting used to the feel of the Bling Bling in the front.
To be honest i hate the combo. It just feels so sketchy to ride after being on the DH bike for so long. I actually have more confidence in my Larsen front and rear combo on my XC bike. I saw that Jared was running the combo last nat's and i figured that it must be quick, but blatantly it just feels sketchy when you turn.

At the moment i'm debating whether to go for a Highroller on the front and Larsen on the rear (I rode this for a lot of the DH races this season and it works well) or a Minion front Larsen rear. It just depends on how the tracks go too- the pump tack in my back yard has little to no need for cornering knobs as the berms are 1m high and solid as, but after riding at some of the new 4x tracks which seem to be sprouting up over here the flat turns just feel too sketchy.

What did you end up running?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I run the Bling/Larsen combo a lot. I like the Bling for its cornering ability, but you have to lean it over far to feel the benefit. If you feel like its not cornering well, then you're probably pulling up before you reach the side knobs. I like the Larsen in the rear when I want to square up in tight turns. In long turns where you lean heavily the Larsen is much better replaced by another Bling.

However both these tires lack a little in loose soil like on a freshly built course. So I usually put a DHF on the front with a Bling on the rear. Unless I need to square up and depending on the soil, I might run a Larsen on the rear.

However, for an all-around set of tires that you don't want to change often go for the Advantage in 2.1 in 70 duro. Those tires are unbelievable. The corner better than the 2.35 DHF and have an excellent "feel" of the terrain. I haven't raced them yet, but I can't wait to. They will be releasing a 2.4 version in the spring. But on another note you can run a set of Holyrollers. They don't have the bite, but they are VERY predictable and corner a lot better than you would think.