Quantcast

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Took the GF to the bike store today, and one of the few things we found that fit her short self was a XS Yeti 575. They are doing a pretty good deal on them, and she's now saying she'll buy her own bike as she feels I spend too much money on her as it is.

I was kinda shocked by that. Most of the women who date me have been money grubbing whores.

She wants to slowly get into XC and a bit of very light free ride with me. I'm pretty stoked on the ideas as one of my favorite things to do with my belle du jour is to go for bike rides.

Does the 575 climb worth a ****? The ASR 5 is great, the 7 is over ratio though. The XS runs a RP23, which I like a lot more than the DHX Air. I know it'll descend, its a Yeti, but I kinda wanted to make sure that she's not going to stroke out on the climbs around here because her bike is too much bike to get up the hill.

Thoughts? Crass opinions? Dings on me personally?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've never owned one, but a couple guys I ride with do, and I'd describe them as a pretty XC oriented bike for how much travel they've got- in short, pretty ideal for what you've described.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Leaving aside the personal insults, I think you are way overthinking it.

She will get used to the bike. It really just matters is she going to ride singletrack or paved bike path.

You know what the 575 is meant for, now just is she going to be ride those trails.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Sit down with her and explain to her your thoughts, Go online and illustrate your points, then let her decide what she wants, really involve her in the process. After a couple of glasses of wine. Give Her a spanking.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Sit down with her and explain to her your thoughts, Go online and illustrate your points, then let her decide what she wants, really involve her in the process. After a couple of glasses of wine. Give Her a spanking.
My guess is that was their first date.

If the bike fits her and she's excited about, let her buy it.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
We ordered one in XS this evening.
Should be here next week.

I paid 1/3, she paid the other 2/3, and her folks bought the helmet, bike shorts, gloves and knee/elbow pads. I was kinda put back by that for a second, but I guess they were pretty stoked as they wanted to take up riding too, and so they bought bikes at the same time.

Either I've found the family of my dreams, or they're going to cult murder me somewhere on Dreamy Draw.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
We ordered one in XS this evening.
Should be here next week.

I paid 1/3, she paid the other 2/3, and her folks bought the helmet, bike shorts, gloves and knee/elbow pads. I was kinda put back by that for a second, but I guess they were pretty stoked as they wanted to take up riding too, and so they bought bikes at the same time.

Either I've found the family of my dreams, or they're going to cult murder me somewhere on Dreamy Draw.
xs bike, family is buying her clothes, are you are dating a 13 year old?

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
575 isn't bad at climbing the RP23 is worlds better then the DHX on that frame.

My new one will be here soon.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Yo, Dirt, I have a 575 and used it for almost 2 full seasons of DH and FR. stuff at Snowshoe and Wisp. It was my primary bike for XC and it climbs great. I would ride XC rides on weeknights and threw a set of Rhinolites with 2.5 dh tires on it droped the saddle and on the weekends rode dh.

I will say that for a few years I have been doing much more DH riding with a DH bike and now the geo of the 575 seems a bit twitchy even on my XC rides. But for a great all around bike it gets a thumbs up from me! :thumb:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
She has this thing called "a job" which a lot of the other girls I guess did not. She can even pay her own rent and pay for dinner from time to time. When we go to New Orleans this week, she paid for half of the hotel room and for her own plane ticket. I'm not at all sure what to make of it.

I'm just glad she's willing to try riding. The other girl I really "dated" in the last couple of years with a real job was so afraid of getting hurt I couldn't even talk her into wearing a ball gag. Needless to say it was a stone drag at my house on Monday nights with that one.

I'm not putting up pics on the interwebz. I kinda respect this one.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Buy or build her a cheap, used FS rig, with a super comfy, big ass seat. FS because it will be more comfortable for her, big ass seat because in the beginning most women can't tolerate a standard bike seat. Used... because there's a pretty large chance that she wont like the experience and you'll end up with a bike that she will never use.

Just make sure that when you do take her out that you go slow... better yet, let her take the lead, and make it a social experience, not a conquer the terrain experience.

Good luck.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'm almost thinking I want to spend the money to send her to one of the many "Women who ride" clinics down here. I think they do one in Sedona that's a weekend. That way she gets to take her lumps, and its not my fault since I am not there.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
My 575 has climbed the Alps in Switzerland and Chamonix with little to no problem so my answer is HELL YES it climbs great. Very versatile bike.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
She has this thing called "a job" which a lot of the other girls I guess did not. She can even pay her own rent and pay for dinner from time to time. When we go to New Orleans this week, she paid for half of the hotel room and for her own plane ticket. I'm not at all sure what to make of it.

Congratulations. Welcome to the status quo.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
.....they bought bikes at the same time.

Careful what you wish for.

Just imagine, you're getting ready for a nice relaxing ride:

you: Goin out for a ride honey, see you in two hours

her: Wait up, I'm gonna join you

you: OK. hurry up

her: can mom and dad come too?

you: ffffffffffffffffffffffffffvck!

Your relaxing ride just turned into a family event and by the end of it someone is gonna be upset or hurt or crying or whatever.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Its ordered, the 2011, in that yeti turquoise color.
QR15 front end, and I am going to see if I can't scrape up some King/Mavic 823's for Christmas.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
It'll be on par with this:

I ordered the anniversary 303 for me...