Quantcast

Yeti 575 conundrum

Sep 15, 2005
Denver, CO
Hey All,
I just picked up a 575 to cover the all-mountain portion of my quiver and think I got jammed by the hype. Coming from a trials and aggressive XC background this thing just doesn't seem to handle what I end up throwing at it. No North Shore stuff but the road less traveled and 4-5ft drops are my thing..oh, frequent shuttle/lift runs as well. At 210lbs I need something stronger than this rear-end which feels like flex-city but I still pedal up as well. Any input would be appreciated.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I don't get the impression that my 575 is flexy or weak. I've done 6 footers on it and it feels like it could handle more. What wheels and tires are you running? Lots of times that has more to do with a bike feeling "flexy" than the frame.

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
at 210 LBS, you might need a heavier wheelset and thicker casing tires to stop squirming. Kinda like what echo said. maybe run something like maxxis minions in a 2.35? those have a nice thick casing. So do the intense DH 2.35's.

Trigger

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
Oslo - Norway
Even the reviews linked from the Yeti homepage claim that the rearend is flexy...

One of the guys here in Norway said that if it flexed more now, the rearwheel would hit his ear. Did a parkinglot test when he got it, and I thought it was the cranks - and didn't say anything then. But I guess what I felt was the rear end bending like metal in The Matrix...

(there is no spoon)

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Yeah I've been begging Yeti for years to put a thru-axle on the back of the AS-X. I have no idea why they are so afraid of making that change. It's too heavy to be an all-mountain bike, they need to just accept the fact that it's a freeride rig.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
i dunno what kind of freeriding you do, but a sub 30lb bike is not really a freeride bike. Just looking at the yeti website its def speced out for trailbike purposes. You probably just need to get 3x laced wheels if it feels flexy, 36 spoke too. Maybe replace the qr axle with a bolt on one.
________
Couples Cams

Last edited:

Guntruck

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
Mill Creek, WA
Echo said:
Yeah I've been begging Yeti for years to put a thru-axle on the back of the AS-X. I have no idea why they are so afraid of making that change. It's too heavy to be an all-mountain bike, they need to just accept the fact that it's a freeride rig.

They've been claiming to be in the process of making that change for a LONG time. Who knows if it will ever happen.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
when i had me 575 last year i used it for everything from dirtjumping to xc to road riding to dh runs and big gaps. i loved that bike it did everything so well. hell on most dh runs around here it performed better than my dh9 and on bigger mtn bike style dj's better than my 4x project or dj'r due to the longer wheelbase and slacker angles. i never felt flex in that bike and i rode it like a bat out of hell (i weight about 185 for the record)

jollytime

King of the Kingdom
Jul 1, 2003
Vermont
I was talking to the boys at Yeti before I got my 575 and they are now spec'ing some of the frames with Fox DHX 5.0 Air rear shox and putting 36's up front. They said that these upgrades make it a much happier gravity and FR set-up without losing the trailbike feel and still keeping the bike reasonably light...

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
If your 575 is equipted with a light wheel set and/or 5th Element air Id look there before blaming the frame.