Quantcast

Yeti ASR5 Carbon: Quite possibly the best bike evar!

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Alright, I know "Best" is a little ambiguous but I've owned over 20 bikes and this one is the Bee's Knees. I sold both of my trail bikes, SJer HT 29er and Blur 4x to build one do it all bike. I loved the geometry of the 4x but I just couldn't get proper seat extension for longer rides and climbs. I made myself a list of things I wanted in a new frame: Tapered headtube, low BB, short chainstays, 67-68ish headtube angle, ability to run the new 142x12 thru axle, water bottle mounts, and I was looking for the complete bike to be around 25lbs. The ASR5 checked all the boxes and after a new job afforded me a little more discretionary income I sprung for Carbon.

Build:

Large ASR5-C
King Headset
Rock Shox Revelation with 1 piece Carbon Crown/steerer 150mm
Sun Ringle Black Flag Pro wheelset
Formula R1 185/160
E.13 XC/AM crankset with 34T single ring
Thomson Stem 50mm
Thomson Seatpost
Specialized Phenom seat (now on it's 6th bike)
Answer 720 Carbon Bars
X.9 rear Der. and Shifter
Sram 990 Cassette
Schwalbe Racing Ralph tires
Crank Bros Mallets (From my now stolen DH bike)

Bike sits at 24lbs even right now, should be a little lighter when I get different pedals.

The Ride:
Within 10 minutes of riding the bike I knew I made the right choice. I couldn't believe the acceleration, the bike really puts power to the ground. Short bursts up little hills or over rocks/roots felt like I was twisting back on a throttle. Descending is amazing, I found myself taking different lines on old trails, boosting any rock or root and hanging it out a bit more on corners, it's definitely a confidence inspiring frame. Now how about that Carbon? Carbon is Rad, and it's here to stay. The frame was stiff when it needed to be and supple when it needed to be. I did a loop I've done about 50 times that usually leaves me done for the day but when I got back to my truck I wasn't winded at all so I grabbed a second bottle and did another hour and a half of riding. I'm not sure if it was actually the carbon that helped or the simple fact that I was having so much fun, but does it really matter?

One gripe, which was to be expected, is climbing. With the Revelation at 150mm the HT angle is about 66.5 which is definitely caused the front to lift off an wander on some climbs. I had to really get over the front end on some climbs to keep the wheel on target. I think I might lower the fork to 130 to help with climbing and speed up the turning. I'm not crazy about the tires, but I think when the trails dry up a little more they'll shine.

I have the 142x12 kit coming later this week so I'll report back after I get a ride on the new standard.

Possible upgrades: 1x10, dropper seatpost thingy, carbon wheelset

Last edited:

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
Nice build! :thumb:

Do you have to use Propedal for climbing? If not is there a lot of bob? Have you done any comparison rides on similar bikes like Banshee Spitfire, Blur LT/TR, Ibis, Spot, etc.?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Nice build! :thumb:

Do you have to use Propedal for climbing? If not is there a lot of bob? Have you done any comparison rides on similar bikes like Banshee Spitfire, Blur LT/TR, Ibis, Spot, etc.?
Honestly, I haven't touched the shock other than putting air in it. I'm a hack when it comes to getting suspension dialed in. I flipped the lever a couple times and bounced on the bike and I couldn't feel a difference so I just left it open for the entire ride. I didn't notice excessive bob, sure it has a little but it did a great job of keeping the tire glued to the ground.

I rode, stumpjumpers, remedys, and had a Blur 4x. I looked at a lot of other frames but it always seemed like I had to compromise at least 1 thing I was looking for. The yeti has everything I'm looking for. The Mojo came close but I didn't want to always ride with a camelback.

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
I'm in the process of building a spitfire, and I'm doing it for pretty much the same reasons you are. I intend to run it in the steep setting with a 150mm ZS config on the fork which can put me mid 67's for the HA. Replacing a Reign X0 which never pedaled or climbed nearly as well as I wanted it to when I bought it.

I'm glad to hear you love it, i have to put the finishing touches on the spitty and then wait for my metacarpal to heal before I can ride it. I'm gussing ~28-29lbs with a reverb (5" drop post) and 1x9 with a LG1+, and the only carbon is the bars. Bear in mind I'm running a 36float so I could lose some weight there too.

yay 5" trailbikes!

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I'm in the process of building a spitfire, and I'm doing it for pretty much the same reasons you are. I intend to run it in the steep setting with a 150mm ZS config on the fork which can put me mid 67's for the HA. Replacing a Reign X0 which never pedaled or climbed nearly as well as I wanted it to when I bought it.

I'm glad to hear you love it, i have to put the finishing touches on the spitty and then wait for my metacarpal to heal before I can ride it. I'm gussing ~28-29lbs with a reverb (5" drop post) and 1x9 with a LG1+, and the only carbon is the bars. Bear in mind I'm running a 36float so I could lose some weight there too.

yay 5" trailbikes!
I've heard nothing but good things about the Spitfire. It was definitely on my radar, the geometry is great but like the Mojo there's no place for a bottle cage and the lightest builds I've seen are around 28. I honestly didn't think the bike was going to turn out this light. I don't think there are any compromising parts. Interested to see how you like the Reverb, I've never used a dropper post but I hear good things.

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
initial impressions of pedaling around the driveway and using it are TOTALLY positive. I think anything less than the 5" drop of the Reverb (and I think one of the KS posts) might be not worth it. On my Large Spitfire, I have the Reverb pretty much fully inserted (1/4" under the silver collar) into the seattube. At full extension I am in perfect pedaling position, and fully dropped It's where I would want the seat on my DH bike. Perfect. Bear in mind I also have very short legs for a 6 footer.

I'm running the remote upside down on the left hand bar, and that seems better for a couple of reasons (no front shifter, the ability to put the bike upside down on the bars and seat). I'll report back with actual ride impressions, but it is SO badass to be able to just drop the post down at will without stopping. It's not necessary but it is awesome.

I never even considered the water bottle cage, I've been so used to a Camelback for so long. You're right about the weight, its gonna be a stretch to get 28, but I am running NoTubes Arch on Kings, so I can easily go tubeless if I want. I'm also not shooting for low weight, I'll drop it where I can get away with it, but I'm not giving up my 36, for example.

Tomorrow I'm going to dive into shortening all the hoses on the bike. The reverb remote hose is easily twice as long as it needs to be! My least favorite part of any build is the damn brake hoses. Also still waiting on the front shifter that's gonna stay on there for good (orange X0 9speed) and the 110 series lower headset cup, got a 40 series in there for the interim.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Interested to hear how it holds up for you. I'm REALLY happy with my Spitfire too. Super fun bike. It's at ~29 as is, with a Lyric, a dropper post, Flow wheels, etc. I want something I can beat on pretty hard, so I'm not too worried about going lighter.

I also can't encourage a dropper post enough. Best upgrade I've ever made. I'm running a Joplin 4R but if it had been out when I was buying I would have gone with a Reverb. The Joplin has been fine, but I'm not a huge fan of the seat clamp.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
from a fellow spitty owner with a dropper. Good GOD that banshee seatpost clamp is huge and ugly. Gotta find a bolt on one ASAP.

thanks for the reminder :thumb:
I was talking about the seat rail clamp on the Joplin, not the seatpost clamp.

But yeah, a bolt on looks a LOT better.

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
yeah after re-reading that you sure are. I'm ordering up a bolt on ASAP.

OP, why was the new axle standard a major point for you? I'm curious because I decided to stay with 135 because I have other wheels in that spacing that I could use in an emergency.

PS: HAB, i'm SO glad I got a Large. I would not want the bike to be any smaller. Running Easton Havoc bars at full length at the moment and a 50mm sunline stem, the cockpit is literally perfect.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
OP, why was the new axle standard a major point for you? I'm curious because I decided to stay with 135 because I have other wheels in that spacing that I could use in an emergency.

PS: HAB, i'm SO glad I got a Large. I would not want the bike to be any smaller. Running Easton Havoc bars at full length at the moment and a 50mm sunline stem, the cockpit is literally perfect.
I've talked to a lot of people that have ridden both 135 and 142 on the same bike back to back and say it's noticeably stiffer. I also really like the idea that it self centers/aligns itself. Being a mechanic for 4+ years I usually frown when new standards are popping up every other week but I did my homework and the new standard doesn't seem to have any downsides, Other than the usual grumblings about a new standard. I also thought since I was buying a new wheelset I might as well get one that's convertible to the 12mm. I think Jeremy R did the conversion on his aluminum ASR5 and said it's extremely noticeable.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
A dropper seatpost i can guarantee will change your perception about trail riding i have been out two times now on my new mondraker foxy on which i run a 5 drop KS post. It makes the ride so much more fun, drop the seat for downhills or super tech parts then swosh up with it and just continue to ride. I am riding sections that before i had to walk since the seat would bounce my around and just generaly be in the way. It is for sure the best money i ever spent on a bike, it takes trail riding to a new level fun.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Have we met? I suck at matching real names to internet handles.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
my reverb is almost as revolutionary to me and the way I ride trails as suspension. Not quite, but close. Its a *huge* difference. highly recommended, and the reverb is fantastic.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Interested to hear how it holds up for you. I'm REALLY happy with my Spitfire too. Super fun bike. It's at ~29 as is, with a Lyric, a dropper post, Flow wheels, etc. I want something I can beat on pretty hard, so I'm not too worried about going lighter.

I also can't encourage a dropper post enough. Best upgrade I've ever made. .

What he said. My Spitfire is a touch lighter, but is also the small frame size. When my Lyrik dies, might replace it with a Revelation/external lower cup setup. would give me the same geometry that way, with only a little less stiffness up front, but a pound less weight off the front of the bike.

And yes on the dropper post love. Been using non-remote Gravity Dropper posts for near six years now, and just recently converted one to a remote version, and swapped the other over to a Reverb. F'ing rocks! I use them even more than the non-remote versions. Wish I'd converted them both to remots years ago!

That ASR-5 is looking good!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
When my Lyrik dies, might replace it with a Revelation/external lower cup setup.
I almost went that route when I replaced the 36 I had been running, but ended up getting an almost new Lyric Solo Air DH for ~$300 so I couldn't say no. Plus since it's an air, the weight difference isn't that huge. I'm also building a 3rd wheelset to split between my DH bike and the Spitty (lighter DH/ burlier trail bike) so I might throw some lighter rims on my lighter Spitty wheelset (currently Flows/ Pro IIs/ Supercomps) but won't bother until I kill the Flows. Could also do tubeless if I wasn't so lazy. Other than that there's not a lot of weight to loose, and I don't really care either.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I almost went that route when I replaced the 36 I had been running, but ended up getting an almost new Lyric Solo Air DH for ~$300 so I couldn't say no. Plus since it's an air, the weight difference isn't that huge. I'm also building a 3rd wheelset to split between my DH bike and the Spitty (lighter DH/ burlier trail bike) so I might throw some lighter rims on my lighter Spitty wheelset (currently Flows/ Pro IIs/ Supercomps) but won't bother until I kill the Flows. Could also do tubeless if I wasn't so lazy. Other than that there's not a lot of weight to loose, and I don't really care either.

Yep. Mine is at a standstill, unless I spend dough on things I'm not willing to, or compromise other things. Not giving up the dropper post. Could shed more tire weight, but like what is on there now. Cranks, bar, stem, brakes - not crazy heavy by any stretch, but would cost me much more money to shed not much weight.

The fork is easy though. When/if it gets to needing replacement, something lighter is no problem. I've been very happy with the Rev on my TransAM, and don't think it'd be any trouble running one on the Spitfire. Or even a Sektor Solo Air. Simple, cheap, still a half pound less than the Lyrik. Depends on how much fundage is free when the Lyrik dies.

Haven't seen any of the ASR-5's around here, but would love to take a spin on one sometime.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That's cool. I'm currently in the process of making a few tweaks to the bike to make it a little more versatile and bulletproof- I'm going to be traveling a bunch this summer and am only going to be able to bring the Spitty with me, so it's got to be able to cover all the bases, from XC to some lift served DH. Burlier wheels (Hadleys on 721s), a 50mm stem (from 70, especially since my right arm's a little shorter than it used to be from breaking my collarbone in December, and stretching to the bar kinda hurts it).

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
That's cool. I'm currently in the process of making a few tweaks to the bike to make it a little more versatile and bulletproof- I'm going to be traveling a bunch this summer and am only going to be able to bring the Spitty with me, so it's got to be able to cover all the bases, from XC to some lift served DH. Burlier wheels (Hadleys on 721s), a 50mm stem (from 70, especially since my right arm's a little shorter than it used to be from breaking my collarbone in December, and stretching to the bar kinda hurts it).

One set of wheels, 2-3 sets of tires, bring both stems along. Easy enough to swap for particular rides.

Just had mine out in Moab, and it was great with only a swap to a DH tire in back, and a burlier front tire, added the lower bits to my chainguide as well. Felt a little undergunned on some of the really high speed chunk of Porc Rim, but otherwise handled fabulously.

Just Saturday post-ride while pulling/cleaning the pivots, snapped one of the pivot axle hex head bolts. Oops. Easy fix at least. I recall you had one do the same. Any issues since?

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
One set of wheels, 2-3 sets of tires, bring both stems along. Easy enough to swap for particular rides.
That's exactly the plan.

Just Saturday post-ride while pulling/cleaning the pivots, snapped one of the pivot axle hex head bolts. Oops. Easy fix at least. I recall you had one do the same. Any issues since?
Nope. I'm not using the bolts Banshee supplies, bought some better ones and it's been solid since.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Sweet build Matt, thanks for the write up, I've been waiting!

Couple of questions. Don't know if you rode your 4x enough to compare, but if you did, can you comment on the pedaling and square-edged hit ability of the Yeti vs. the 4x?

Coming from a single pivot Heckler before the vpp of the 4x, I noticed right away that the 4x pedaled and handled square edged hits better. At least it felt that way to me.

Also, Sunline grips on carbon bars - no issue with the set screw attachment on carbon?

And finally, no need for a full chain guide with a lower roller?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Couple of questions. Don't know if you rode your 4x enough to compare, but if you did, can you comment on the pedaling and square-edged hit ability of the Yeti vs. the 4x?
I don't think I had enough seattime to really compare but even if I had I don't think I would have noticed. Like I said, I'm kind of a hack with suspension and I have a hard time describing what I feel on the trail. I think the only way I would notice is if it were truly awful, which neither bike is.

Also, Sunline grips on carbon bars - no issue with the set screw attachment on carbon?
I thought about that but the set screw tightens down onto plastic. I removed one of the grips after a ride yesterday just to examine the bars and they looked fine. I have been curious to try a set of the ESI grips so I might switch them out.

And finally, no need for a full chain guide with a lower roller?
I rode my 29er for 10+ months with the e.13 XCX and loved it. I don't like the added drag and noise from a full chainguide for extended XC rides. I have yet to drop a chain on the Yeti so I'll keep running it till there's a problem.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Liking your review and comments about the bike. Thanks.

Supposed to be released anytime now, another 5 incher trail bike that looks proper:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Liking your review and comments about the bike. Thanks.

Supposed to be released anytime now, another 5 incher trail bike that looks proper:

The Bandit was actually my first choice but when I called Transition back in January they said it wouldn't be out until June and I didn't want to wait that long. A couple weeks later I got the new job offer so it made getting the ASR5 Carbon a no brainer.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
The Bandit was actually my first choice but when I called Transition back in January they said it wouldn't be out until June and I didn't want to wait that long. A couple weeks later I got the new job offer so it made getting the ASR5 Carbon a no brainer.
Yeah kinda bummed it's not gonna be out until later this summer. Especially here on the East coast where the season is short.

Good pick on the ASR5 though. So many people were on that bike when I was riding in the Front Range region. You'd see a crazy amount of asr5 and 575s.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Glad you're liking the new rig. My plastic bike's been really fun as well.

Just curious what BB height you ended up with? I think the only thing I'd want from my Trance right now is a 13ish BB as it's about 13.5...

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
You are going to love that bike. I've had mine for a year with the 120mm fork and still can't believe how much I enjoy riding that bike. It's like a 4X bike that climbs like a bat out of hell.

The one thing you need to pay close attention to is the rear shock pressure. For myself I've found the bike works best with 155psi. If I go under it does not climb as well. If I go over it is not as plush as I would like.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
You are going to love that bike. I've had mine for a year with the 120mm fork and still can't believe how much I enjoy riding that bike. It's like a 4X bike that climbs like a bat out of hell.

The one thing you need to pay close attention to is the rear shock pressure. For myself I've found the bike works best with 155psi. If I go under it does not climb as well. If I go over it is not as plush as I would like.
A Slalom XC bike is how I described it to one of my buddies.

How much do you weigh? I'm about 175 in riding gear and I did my first ride at 165 and it felt like I was blowing through the travel so I up'd it to 180psi and it felt a lot more responsive. I'll probably keep experimenting, I haven't even touched the rebound knob :rolleyes:

Cliffy, I'll get a BB measurement for you in a couple mins.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
agreed.

i personally really liked my asr-5 at 40% sag, and climbed with the propedal on the firmest setting all the time it was flat or up. really never bottomed it... i fouind it much more progressive than a 575. if i rode 30%->35% sag and it felt harsh on the down to me, and i never used all the travel. it was like hitting a brick wall 2/3 the way thru the travel.

but maybe i am weird.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I love mine. Great bike everywhere I've ridden it. I wish I could make the lovez to it.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
How are you liking the Revelation? I got an RLT TI a few weeks ago, and it completely brought my bike alive. Best fork I have ever owned.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Hey Matt-

Glad you're so
on the ASR-5C! I'd never ridden one myself before I took the job down here a month ago, but holy crap . . . it truly is like a cheater bike on group rides. We've only got a couple of ASR-5C demos here at the office, and between that and the proto, it's always a mad scramble to see who gets to ride them on our lunchtime rides.

Keep the feedback coming on the bike though - good, bad, and ugly, we want to hear it!

Enjoy the ride,
JP

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Matt, what do you have to do to change out to the 12x142 on that bike?

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Matt, what do you have to do to change out to the 12x142 on that bike?
All you have to do is order up a chip set (dropout kit) from us. You can get them from your local Yeti dealer, and they run about 50 bucks. IMO, it makes a huge difference.

FYI,

John P.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Sick bike Matt! Everyone I know with one is really stoked on it. Kinda the way I feel about my Dixon :)

John, do tell a little more about that proto. I saw that pic a while back and haven't heard anything about it.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
A Slalom XC bike is how I described it to one of my buddies.
Really, by looking at the bike, visual cues only here, it doesn't look like a bike you could rip like a slalom bike. Meaning slamming berms, jumping everything in sight on the trail, etc.

Glad you're saying that though, that's exactly what I'm looking for in a trail bike. I was trailriding my Morewood Ndiza before and looking to have the same type of feeling on the trail with the new bike.

What's that proto about John P? New trail bike?

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
John, do tell a little more about that proto. I saw that pic a while back and haven't heard anything about it.
I wish I could spill the beans - and it's KILLING me not to - but all I'm allowed to say is that we're always working on new/cool stuff. Keep your eyes peeled for more news very soon though!

--JP