Quantcast

Yeti ASR5 Carbon: Quite possibly the best bike evar!

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
So far so good with mine. What do you mean by fragile? cracking?
Keep an eye on the underside/inner corner of the chainstay tubing roughly level with the tyre. I've seen a couple cracked there - fortunately Yeti Australia's customer service is absolutely impeccable and the owners were on new swingarms within a day or two. In fairness to the bikes though, they are a lot of fun, to the point where you can flog them (ie thrash them downhill) quite a bit harder than any "xc" type bike is really meant to cope with. Do that to any bike of this nature and you'll probably kill it eventually, might as well have fun doing it!

andy_n

Chimp
Mar 12, 2003
Keep an eye on the underside/inner corner of the chainstay tubing roughly level with the tyre. I've seen a couple cracked there - fortunately Yeti Australia's customer service is absolutely impeccable and the owners were on new swingarms within a day or two. In fairness to the bikes though, they are a lot of fun, to the point where you can flog them (ie thrash them downhill) quite a bit harder than any "xc" type bike is really meant to cope with. Do that to any bike of this nature and you'll probably kill it eventually, might as well have fun doing it!
Interesting you say that. A mate of mine (total enduro XC rider) had a "light" step off and run crash on a flat XC trail on his, unfortunately it came in contact with a rock on the rear stay. The rear stay snapped off at both ends where it joins. He is the process of getting a crash replacement now. When in the shop they noticed it was cracked in another place, it has a crack running along the top side of the top tube it is now getting replaced under warranty. Has put me off carbon for a trail bike for a while again.

Pashley 24Mhz

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Belgium, Europe
What sizes did you guys get in combination whit what stem lenght?
I'm 173cm, and just cant decide between an S with long or an M with short stem...

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
What sizes dit you guys get in combination whit what stem lenght?
I'm 173cm, and just cant decide between an S with long or an M with short stem...
I am 5'10 on a medium, and I can run either a 70 or a 50mm stem on my asr 5with no problems. I recently did a super d race on it, that had alot of little jumps on it, and I ran a 35mm stem on it. That bike is insanely fun with a stem that short.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
While this thread is being revived... Who has the 142mm setup? I upgraded to it a couple weeks ago, I love the added stiffness but when I got a rear flat earlier this week I couldn't get the axle out. The QR end of the axle just undreaded from the axle shaft, and I was left on the trail with the shaft and nut stuck in the bike holding the end of the QR like a goon. I had to loosen the set screw on the nut then use an allen to "punch" the axle out of the dropouts. Am I doing something wrong?

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
I've been hearing that these are a bit fragile in the rear. Any idea if Yeti beefed it up at all? Such a nice bike.
The derailleur hanger seems to be stronger than the part of the frame it attaches to. The thin metal part of the dropout can bend up and ovalize if something gets caught in the derailleur and pulls it straight back. Ive seen one where this has happened when sprinting hard up a hill. Yeti provided a warranty replacement no questions asked in 3 days, and a new softer hanger :thumb: I love those things, especially the ano black frames with gold kashima shock and fork SEXAY

May 6, 2011
Not sure it helps but 6'1", large frame, inline post, 50mm stem, soon to be 70mm.

Not got a cracked frame yet but I've got severe chipping (1-2mm deep) on the underside of the drive side chain stay which I guess is chain damage. Will contact Yeti to see if it is cause for concern, but to be fair this bike begs to be battered.

May 6, 2011
Not sure it helps but 6'1", large frame, inline post, 50mm stem, soon to be 70mm.

Not got a cracked frame yet but I've got severe chipping (1-2mm deep) on the underside of the drive side chain stay which I guess is chain damage. Will contact Yeti to see if it is cause for concern, but to be fair this bike begs to be battered.
Here's what Yeti said:
'There’s a really thick layer of clear coat there which it looks like you’ve chipped through, and a thick protective outer layer of carbon so I wouldn’t say that it is a structural concern, but it would be worth applying some protective tape there to prevent further damage.'
Keep a eye on it chaps, better still put some protection there now.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Any updates on this bike? Considering one for a carbon project bike...
I'm actually selling mine if you're interested. I'm having surgery on my leg in a few weeks and I need to downsize my collection of bikes to help offset some of the medical bills, plus I won't be able to ride for a while so no point in it just collecting dust.

One word of advice on the bike though, go with meatier tires. I always felt limited by my tire choice but as soon as I threw on some "winter" tires I realized I had been making a mistake all along with lightweight rubber. I could really lean the bike over and corner a lot more when I wasn't afraid the tire was going to break loose.

Last edited:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I got a line on a new one thats hard to pass up. :)

What do you mean by meatier? I was going to go 2.3, although Im not sure which tire will go that big and still be fairly light. Maybe for fun I'll go Small Block 8s :D

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I ran Schwalbe racing ralphs for most of the time I ran the bike, I recently switched to Minions Fs. The cornering was noticeably better, it also felt a little more stable through medium sized hits. There was a drop in climbing ability which was expected.

May 6, 2011
Started with 2.25 Evo snakebite Nic front/Ralph rear, but the Ralph couldn't cope. Wanted to put a 2.25 Nic on the back, but due to lack of funds, put the 2.25 Nic on the the back and a 2.4 Nic I had lying around. Don't notice any difference in speed to the original set up, but much better grip/confidence.
Started with a 1x10, but the riding I do requires a fair bit of pedaling so gone 2x10 (28/42) as this bike wants to keep going faster and faster and I was running out of gears in 1x10.
Started with 50mm stem (711mm bars), now got 70mm for better climbing, but feel 60mm would maybe be the ideal compromise for me.
Started with 170mm crank arm for fear of low BB, but now with 175mm and no problem with pedal strikes.
Started with 150mm front travel, but fitted a zero stack bottom headset cup (1-1/8 steerer) to give effective crown/axle equal to 140mm fork.
Not got 12x142mm rear, but 135mm King w/Funbolts for stiffness.
Tried Mavic 717's but bent one so replaced with 719's (guess you're going carbon tho).
Protect your frame from chainslap in every possible area.
Size Large bike, 15st/6'1" rider, perfect fit (in line seatpost), quality bike. 26lbs without the need for ti bits.
Some good deals about (apologies to matt):
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/frame/2011-yeti-asr5-carbon-8708.html
http://www.rutlandcycling.com/34676/Yeti-ASR-5-Carbon-2011---Full-Suspension-MTB-Frame--Various-Colours-.html

May 6, 2011
I'm actually selling mine if you're interested. I'm having surgery on my leg in a few weeks and I need to downsize my collection of bikes to help offset some of the medical bills, plus I won't be able to ride for a while so no point in it just collecting dust.

One word of advice on the bike though, go with meatier tires. I always felt limited by my tire choice but as soon as I threw on some "winter" tires I realized I had been making a mistake all along with lightweight rubber. I could really lean the bike over and corner a lot more when I wasn't afraid the tire was going to break loose.
Surely you can't sell the best bike evar?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I'd be quite surprised if they didn't do a shorter travel version of the SB66 to be honest. Not because its necessary, but just because people always want something new.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I dunno. I don't know enough about patents except that the system seems ridiculous and broken. I do know that no matter if there is patent infringement or not, lawyers cost money, and that can only be bad for us. :)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
potential vpp patent violation with the sb66?? Bummer for both, whatever it is.
that was my first thought as well, by the counter rotation only occurs during the first part of the travel on the sb66, on the second part of the travel, the links rotate the same direction.

Smurfette

Chimp
Dec 29, 2011
Seems like Santa Cruz covering their bases just in case.....they need to show they have taken some action down the road. In any case I think Yeti people like Yeti products and Santa Cruz people like Santa Cruz products...life goes on not much gonna change because of this, except people will hate on SC.

badkar_

Chimp
Feb 21, 2012
Hey Mattmatt86!
Im thinking of making the same move, from blur 4x Large to ASR 5 large or medium. How tall are you? Do you feel there is a big size diffrence between the blur 4x large and ASR 5 large?
Cheers