Quantcast

Yeti ASX - Fork Advice Please

sampo

Chimp
Nov 21, 2005
Hello,

I'm new on here, and searching though some older posts I noticed quite a few of you have ASX's. I run a small 04 ASX with 03 super T's on it at the moment. I live in the UK, and will be coming over the whistler area for 2 months next season. Anyways, I quite fancy moving over to a set of 6-7'' SC forks, either the Fox Van RC2, the 66RC2X or the 180mm travis.

What do you guys recommend? I dont want to steepen the angles out too much, and I dont know what the axle-crown is like on these forks. I know that on my super T's it is 558mm, and this gives a nice balanced ride when the bike is in 7'' mode with about 35% sag.

Do any of you run the bike with this kind of setup? I noticed that yeti spec the ASX with Fox Vans this year so Im guessing its a pretty sound setup, and from all accounts the forks are meant to be mint. I will be doing all sorts on it, obviously whistler/shore for 2 months and general FR/DH here in the UK. I just like the idea of a more manouverable front end (and I like x-ups :) ) and I dont have to worry about strength too much because I only weigh about 60kg.

Anyways, any advice appreciated,

Chris

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I was running an 04 Super T Pro until a week ago. I found that I had to run the rear in 6" mode to get the best dh cornering characteristics out of that setup. In 7" mode the bb always seemed to high for me, fine for hitting drops but lame for high speed stuff. I just switched out to a 06 Z1 Light, high speed cornering seems to be better so far, although I've lost some stiffness. I held off on the 36 Van because of bb height issues. If the high bb doesn't bother you I'd go for a 66, you can keep your a-c the same and have the benefits of a single crown.

Pics-

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Had an 05 66RC until recently..It was on a 2003 V10 & was the slackest bike ever. I could go down a chute straight down & NOT EVEN WORRY ABOUT GOING OVER THE BARS....iT WAS HARD TO KEEP IT ON THE TRAIL THOUGH... Woops hit caps--
I would go with a 06 66RC & that would be 1" lower & 170mm o' travel...The damping is awesome...!
Ride wat u got screw it-

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I run an 05 as-X with an 888 and lowrider crowns. The diff between the flat crowns and the stockers is amazing. Steepened the angles up a bit, but dropped the bike down a little at the same time. Just RIDE MORE, you'll quickly get accustomed to the bikes handling and you'll love it.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Anyone have issues with drive side dropouts breaking off?

I have a 05 Fox 40RC2 on my AS-X. After riding it with the fork in the 8¨mode, I dropped it down to 6¨. In both settings the bike feels super twitchy at high speed, I think it´s the shorter wheelbase. I´m coming from an M1, a Demo8 and an Enduro, all of which have longer wheelbases. The AS-X has been the best with the fork in the 6¨mode and the rear in 7¨. Even though it´s higher in rear, I run more sag to compensate for the height issues. The 8¨ 40 with the 6¨rear worked but I kept on going to fast and bottoming out the rear suspension. It´s a give or take. If I was in your shoes I´d run the 36Van.

sampo

Chimp
Nov 21, 2005
I do fancy the 36Van on it, I find that with the fifth set up properly @35-40% sag the BB height isnt an issue. I had the 5th serviced and tuned at TFTuned Shox, these are the guys who do Steve Peat's amongst others and they really know their stuff. I havent even tried it in 6'' mode, I've never felt I wanted to as the 7'' is so dialled for me. Anybody here used the Van RC2 yet?

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
The best pure DH setups I've seen for the ASX is to go with a 24" rear wheel. This gets the BB down and the HA to a DH slack position with just about any 7" fork. If you are more into FR and/or some trail riding then staying with the 26" rear wheel is nice for pedal clearance and a bit quicker steering at lower speeds.