Quantcast

yeti dh9 20 mm rear hub

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
i know its waaaaayyyyy out there, but a good buddy of mine has an old yeti DH9 with a razor rock racing 20mm rear hub. the hub is busted, any body know of a source for parts or replacements? or is there a way to make a 12mm or 15mm hub fit?

i figure there might be at least one or two nerds out there that even remember what one of these looks like haha

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
yea, i guess the first post was kinda vague. when you stand and pedal or crank moderately hard, the bike skips.

so i took the hub apart, surprise! it was ****ing dirt simple and nothing appeared to be out of order. the bearings are actually in pretty good shape.

here is the freehub/axle assembly. the part with the springs sticking out is the ratchet ring that locks the freehub to the hub body.

here is the inside of the hub itself

the wavy part is where the ratchet ring and hub body mesh together and transfer torque.

so i stretched the springs out to create more contact pressure, all it did was create more drag and the skip is still there. i'm going to swap some drivetrain components on next, i'm starting to think its more of a cassette/derailleur/chain issue.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
a friendly machinist with a lathe might be able to turn that frown upside down and that 20 into a 15 or even 12. Or they could just machine you a new one. No idea on cost, but I'd rather spend 50 bucks on a replacement axle than futz around with that hub.

I don't know what the more modern frames use, but I had a straight 8 and it used a 15mm hub...I still have a spare axle sitting around for it. It yours for shipping, but I can't tell you whether it's the same mounting hardware.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
LOL... I used to need one of those for my Schwinn Straight-8. It had that and a pull shock. Ditched that one when I could bc I knew I'd never get parts if either busted.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
funny thing about the frame is that it needs a 125mm wide hub too. dropouts are 135mm wide, but the floating brake mount eats up 10mm of that unfortunately.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I'm not sure where we sourced the parts from but a few years back(3 or 4) we rebuilt a RazorRock 20mm hub on a DirtWerks frame. Some parts out there do exist. I can't recall where we got them from though.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I lost mine for a reason other than the hub, but this may help you.
Hadley made hubs for that bike, mine had one

Also, some modern frames use the same "style" I believe santa cruz V10s had that floater and also many other bikes with floaters. My plan was to have a sleeve machined (similar to the 1 in the pinchbolt area of the dropout) so that it could fit a ringle off of one of the bikes that has a floater. Ringle hubs have a cone (not sure how wide) that you would take off for these floater bikes. Food for thought

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
See if you can find someone with an old 12mm rear linkage. I've seen people buy the frames just to get the 12mm linkage and a spare swing arm. Also, once you get the 12mm axle, you can run a hadley.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
When I put it back together I noticed that the freehub bearings have quite a bit of slop. My drivetrain made the skipping issue better, I think that the bearing slop might be enough to make the chain pop, as you apply torque the free hub deflects and the chain line goes to poop. I'll report back after I swap some bearings. If not Hadley will be gettin a call, I'm not spending money on the frame, my buddy just doesn't want to take a loss on selling a bike with a proprietary dead hub...