Quantcast

Yeti DH9 and Risse 888 Crowns

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
Thought I'd share these with you guys in case anyone wanted to see the difference between a stock 888 and an 888 with aftermarket crowns. My initial plan was to just install the lower crown and use the stock upper crown but once everything was all together, the upper crown was far to low to even work, so to make it work I added the upper crown. Now for the photos...

Chris

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
Acadian said:
wow...made quite a difference! did you get a chance to try it out?
Well... I would but when I removed the front wheel a put one of those plastic hayes peices that keeps the pads from moving... Well... I suppose that the peice had a little bit of oil on it because now I have NO front brake. Time for a new rotor and pads... DOH!!! I'm still gonna ride clementine on wednesday tho...

Chris

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
Yeti DHer said:
Well... I would but when I removed the front wheel a put one of those plastic hayes peices that keeps the pads from moving... Well... I suppose that the peice had a little bit of oil on it because now I have NO front brake. Time for a new rotor and pads... DOH!!! I'm still gonna ride clementine on wednesday tho...

Chris
Speaking of the theory of Darwinism, I've spilled DOT 4 brake oil on my pads before. Run to the pharmacy or grocery store and get isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol) and stick your pads in it overnight then let it dry overnight (~ 1 - 2 days for cleaning and drying pads). Get fine sandpaper and sand the pads a little.

For the rotors, wash it with ispropanol and dry it with a cloth rag. Then use sandpaper and sand the rotor, and it should be good to go! At least it worked for me... my front brake still is very b***hy when it comes to applying the brakes.

-CAbiker

EDIT: that looks like a huge difference: shorter wheelbase and a respectible increase in the headtube angle.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Yeti DHer said:

Chris
just pour all sorts of alcohol on it, in it etc..leave it wet and go ride in some dust. It will clean itself up and save you a few bucks.

No point wasting $ for nothing..

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
...but marzocchi insists that the c2axle distance of the 888 is just fine, and that you shouldn't complain that an 8 inch travel fork is tall. :nopity:

:D

p.s. white gas cleans up oil and grease nicely.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Slightly off-topic but thought I'd share anyway...

Just put an 8" 888 on my vp-free. With the stock crowns it was 64.5 HA, 15.5" BB height, and 46 wheelbase.

Way too chopper for me, so I got the go-ride lowriders.

Now 65.5, 15", and 45.5, and a full inch lower at the bars.

Ahh, much better.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
WCH, the head angle, wheelbase, and bb height were really more important to me because of the effects on handling, but a side benefit is that the go-ride crowns lowered my bars by an inch.

And I agree Brian, it's a big difference, enough that I'm keeping the fork when I was thinking about dumping it after riding it with the stock crowns. :thumb:

Edit: If you look at the pics and see where the bars are compared to the garage door (very scientific, I know), you can see the second pic is lower...