Quantcast

Yeti DH9 and Slider+ owners

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
profro said:
Do you run a drop crown or a flat crown? Plus how is the ride height compared to a Dorado, Shiver, Boxxer?
The ride height is SUPER short. Shortest one out there for sure, and you would have to have the drop crown.
I don't see that fork matching up well with your Yeti at all.
Its narrow, has a very short turning radius on a beefy DH bike, and very short, like I said. But as slack as the DH9 is, it might make the head angle a little steeper. If you get one, make sure you hang on to the shiver too, just in case. ;)

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
How short of a turning radius? Will I have to have to do three point turns around switchbacks? Homey mentioned that almost all the Yeti RPM racers were running the slider plus out at Mammoth.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Jeremy R said:
The ride height is SUPER short. Shortest one out there for sure, and you would have to have the drop crown.
I don't see that fork matching up well with your Yeti at all.
Its narrow, has a very short turning radius on a beefy DH bike, and very short, like I said. But as slack as the DH9 is, it might make the head angle a little steeper. If you get one, make sure you hang on to the shiver too, just in case. ;)
At Mammoth, of the Yetis I saw, probably 90% of them had Slider+'s. I was suprized to see how many weren't running Dorados like you usually see. I talked to Threepointtwo, who is running a Slider+ and he is running the flat crown on his and says its perfect.

I am worried about it, but heck I'm going with the Fox DH40 for next year, so its just to get through the winter. I am tired of racing the weight of the Shiver.

:think: :think: :think: :think:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Cool.
It may be fine on the Yeti.
It was ok on my 04 DHR, but if I would have put it on the 03, my bar would not have turned. ;)
The angles for my bike were alot better with the 7" 888, but then again the opposite could be true for the Yeti.
The flat crown would not fit on mine because of the big fat headset.
It is a light stiff fork for sure, and I liked it better than my old Dorado.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
what those guys might not have mentioned was that they might have to buy their own forks. $350.00 shop cost for a Slider plus or $850 shop cost for a Dorado....that's equal to 2 slider plus's and 2 spare X.9 derailleurs!

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
profro said:
At Mammoth, of the Yetis I saw, probably 90% of them had Slider+'s. I was suprized to see how many weren't running Dorados like you usually see. I talked to Threepointtwo, who is running a Slider+ and he is running the flat crown on his and says its perfect.

I am worried about it, but heck I'm going with the Fox DH40 for next year, so its just to get through the winter. I am tired of racing the weight of the Shiver.
Most Manitou riders wanted the SPV Dorado 200, which wasn't really available this year. They felt there next best choice was the SPV Slider +. That reason and price is why you see so many SPV Slider + forks.

If I was buying a Manitou DH fork it would have been the non-SPV Dorado 180. That fork is proven, light enough and works pretty well. I know Manitou's web site says different, but for '05 both Dorados will only be available TPC+, no SPV.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
bizutch said:
what those guys might not have mentioned was that they might have to buy their own forks. $350.00 shop cost for a Slider plus or $850 shop cost for a Dorado....that's equal to 2 slider plus's and 2 spare X.9 derailleurs!
Thats do different than me. :(

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
go-ride.com said:
Most Manitou riders wanted the SPV Dorado 200, which wasn't really available this year. They felt there next best choice was the SPV Slider +. That reason and price is why you see so many SPV Slider + forks.

If I was buying a Manitou DH fork it would have been the non-SPV Dorado 180. That fork is proven, light enough and works pretty well. I know Manitou's web site says different, but for '05 both Dorados will only be available TPC+, no SPV.
But the Dorado is so expensive. How do you think the switch will be for me to go from a Shiver to a Slider+. I ran Avys for 2 years before I switched to my Swinger and so far I have been extremely pleased, but can I expect the same for a fork?

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
I had the Slider this season and it worked fine. You get both crowns with the fork, so you can decide for yourself. No problems with turning radius.

I liked the feel of the size of the fork for racing too, didn't feel like I was driving a tank at all.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
go-ride.com said:
I know Manitou's web site says different, but for '05 both Dorados will only be available TPC+, no SPV.
thought so too, but the global customer service guy from Answer told me they will use a modified SPV system ("SPV Evolve") in the 2005 Dorado X Works/Dorado 200.
that info is from the Eurobike bike fair, so in the meantime it might have changed again.
wait and see :)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
bizutch said:
what?:confused: you got finger cramps or sumthin'? that made no sense :p

I meant that's NO different than me. I need a cheap alternative until I blow my wad on the Fox DH40 in the spring.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
I hate to knock on manitou, but I have an SPV dorado (stock on my 04 Giant dh team) and it feels great when its working, but I had it rebuilt/ repaired 4 times this year. And I never even rode the bike between race weeknds seeing as how I was stuck in maryland this summer. The SPV is just super flakey, works one day and not the next, some feel good some feel bad, its hit or miss. I know there are tricks to get the slider to feel good. Its a light fork at a good price, I just wish they would make it with TPC.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
The SPV dorado had a lot of problems and I think they'll admit that. It's not a reflection of the Slider + from what I've read, seen, and experienced personally.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Youre correct that the slider is not as bad as the dorado, but I have alot of friends with sliders, and although their problems were not as severe as mine(blown air bladders, complete lockout, ect.) they did have some fairly significant problems this season. Mainly just bad stiction and poor feel. To manitou's credit, they took care of all of my probelms this season at the races and in good time, so :thumb: for the service. I think manitou makes good product, they just had a bit a rough year, and im excited to see how the new forks perform.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
go-ride.com said:

Alright, does anyone have a definitive answer on the '05 Dorado MRD X-Works. Your website says SPV Evolve as does the Answer catalogue, yet JensonUsa says it's gunna be TPC+. Has anyone actually talked to Manitou and gotten the right answer?

-TS

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
profro said:
But the Dorado is so expensive. How do you think the switch will be for me to go from a Shiver to a Slider+. I ran Avys for 2 years before I switched to my Swinger and so far I have been extremely pleased, but can I expect the same for a fork?
If I was in your shoes I'd get an '04 Super T. Much better suspension feel than the Slider+, light weight, cheap price, very low maintenance.

Three of the guys I stayed with at Mammoth had Slider+ forks including Threepointtwo, and none of them felt like they moved. Each guy claimed that after a bit of warm up the forks worked good, but in the parking lot they flet like glue. At what point should a fork start working? Half way through your race run? I'm sure regular maintenance would help, but I wouldn't know because I have a Marz.

My experience is that for '04 the TPC stuff was much better than the SPV. However, I did ride some '05 SPV at the Yeti demo that was very good. After asking Yeti they explained that they pretty much eliminated the SPV in their demo forks.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
I have ordered a 2005 Slider + to evauate during the off season. I am interested in experimenting with the new technology and if it doesn't turn out the way I wanted then no big deal because I will have the Fox DH fork as soon as it is available. Try nothing gain nothing.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
go-ride.com said:
If I was in your shoes I'd get an '04 Super T. Much better suspension feel than the Slider+, light weight, cheap price, very low maintenance.

Three of the guys I stayed with at Mammoth had Slider+ forks including Threepointtwo, and none of them felt like they moved. Each guy claimed that after a bit of warm up the forks worked good, but in the parking lot they flet like glue. At what point should a fork start working? Half way through your race run? I'm sure regular maintenance would help, but I wouldn't know because I have a Marz.

My experience is that for '04 the TPC stuff was much better than the SPV. However, I did ride some '05 SPV at the Yeti demo that was very good. After asking Yeti they explained that they pretty much eliminated the SPV in their demo forks.
Good points Scott.
Also Doug, you said when you switched from an Avy to a Swinger, you were pleased. I think that was 100% the frame change and not the shock change.
That Avalanche felt sick, and would feel even better if you could get it on that Yeti. ;)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Jeremy R said:
Good points Scott.
Also Doug, you said when you switched from an Avy to a Swinger, you were pleased. I think that was 100% the frame change and not the shock change.
That Avalanche felt sick, and would feel even better if you could get it on that Yeti. ;)
I know the frame design had a lot to do with it, but sometimes I think the Avy was over damped. Like the rock gardens at Windrock, I'm finding that it is much faster to 'get up on top of the rocks' instead of staying down in them and that is what the Avy did. However, in places like the Taril 2 rock garden and the sweeping corner into the Ewok drop, the Avy was way superior to the Swinger. It really kept the wheel on the ground.

I think I am going to ride out the winter storm with the Shiver and slap that Fox DH40 on there in early spring. :evil: