Quantcast

Yeti DJ build

otto42

Chimp
Jul 29, 2009
CO/NY
For anyone whose interested, lots of pics guaranteed

I bought this frame mainly to use at college, and have never owned nor ridden or DJ/4X oriented bike before. I thought it would be a nice addition and help me improve my skills.

I got the yeti since they're made in CO and the paint looks rad. Note that I ordered this in 2009 and thought I was getting the teal/white frame but they sent me one with the 2008 paint job (which I like more :)).

Frame is the short size (I'm 5'11", long legs and arms but short torso).

Anyway, a photo of the frame:

Only gripe about it so far is that the ISCG mount is tacked on, just seems kinda lazy to not fully weld the mount on:

This is all I have for now. Parts will be arriving this week and next. The planned build:
Frame: Yeti DJ short
Fork: Lowered 2009 Fox 36 Float R (to 100mm)
Headset: Cane Creek 110
Stem: Thomson
Bar: Sunline V1
Shifter: Saint
Brakes: Formula K18
Crank: Shimano Saint
Derailleur: Shimano saint
Chainguide: MRP G2 mini
Chainring: E13 36t
Cassette: Saint/SLX 11-32
Saddle: WTB Pure V
Wheelset: I have some crummy wheels from a bike that was ran over by yours truly, front will be a WTB dual duty FR and rear is a XT hub laced to XC717 rims

front:

rear:

Undecided on tires right now, looking at kenda small block 8's or some maxxis (crossmark/high roller or maybe larsen tt's)

More photos to come once the stuff arrives!

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Here's mine!

Bikini Biker Babe.jpeg

Such a sic ride! So light, but watch out it's pretty easy to ding the tubing. My bike was riding without me and the down tube ran into a rock, now I have a little dent.

I was surprised by how well the long rides trails.

Did you get a short or long.

For tires I run small block8 front and rear for jumping. For racing and trail riding you will want something that has some more hookup on the front.

Last edited:

otto42

Chimp
Jul 29, 2009
CO/NY
short frame, wont be taking it on any trails
probably going to get a larsen tt for the back and a high roller in the front

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I actually meant regular old trails (no jumps). As this is the DJ forum I should have been more specific.

I got a long and I had heard that the long was fun to ride on mountain bike trails. So one day I took it out to a fast, smooth trail and it ripped! The long can definitely handle a bit of speed. I can tell that it was designed to race.

Incidentally it's also great on trails (line of jumps), but where it really has the advantage over most DJ bikes is it's race ability and weight.