Quantcast

Yeti guys - help needed

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Do any of you have a Yeti 1.5" lower headset cup removal tool? I'm trying to do a 100% swap from my 575 to SB, and none of the local Yeti shops have the tool. Which is kind of sad, because I live 20min from the Yeti factory.

If someone has access to one, I would gladly paypal the cost + shipping to the owner so that I can use it.

Thanks!

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Sooooo... you don't really need "Yeti guys" help, but rather just ANYONE that has a 1.5" headset removal tool? Gotcha. Call Wheat Ridge Cyclery, Pedal Pushers in Golden, Green Mountain Sports, and/or Golden Bike Shop. Yeah yeah yeah, I know those shops are way out by Nick and me, but they also can probably help you and then you could come visit.

I have a headset removal tool, but it's 1-1/8". I should get a bigger one. Heck, maybe I will, and charge you to use it!

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Sooooo... you don't really need "Yeti guys" help, but rather just ANYONE that has a 1.5" headset removal tool? Gotcha. Call Wheat Ridge Cyclery, Pedal Pushers in Golden, Green Mountain Sports, and/or Golden Bike Shop. Yeah yeah yeah, I know those shops are way out by Nick and me, but they also can probably help you and then you could come visit.

I have a headset removal tool, but it's 1-1/8". I should get a bigger one. Heck, maybe I will, and charge you to use it!
I tried a 1.5" on my last frame. There is an inner lip on the HS that makes it difficult to get the edge of the cup. Unless of course you have popped a hs from your asr5.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Inner lip on the headset, or inside the headtube? Either way, weird.

And no, I haven't taken the headset out of my AS-R 5, it's been in there since I built it. The headset on the SB-66c is a different diameter... it's moar bigger and all inset and stuff.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Lip on the headtube. Discovering this has already cost me one King lower cup.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Lip on the headtube. Discovering this has already cost me one King lower cup.
Seems like an easy fix to me but I may be visualizing this "lip" situation incorrectly.

Pull the head set remover through the cup you are removing when you hear it snap into place as it passes the end of the cup then you are good to go.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Seems like an easy fix to me but I may be visualizing this "lip" situation incorrectly.

Pull the head set remover through the cup you are removing when you hear it snap into place as it passes the end of the cup then you are good to go.
You think I haven't tried this? The taper on the inside of the headtube prevents the hs remover from expanding properly. It is so incompatible that yeti has a custom tool for it.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
I pulled the lower headset cup (Cane Creek) out of my asr5 yesterday with a 1-1/8" headset remover just fine. You just have to be gentle with it, working it one side at a time obviously, but it works.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
You think I haven't tried this? The taper on the inside of the headtube prevents the hs remover from expanding properly. It is so incompatible that yeti has a custom tool for it.
That's just silly. Tapered HTs are ridiculous WTF would have been wrong with just running a 1.5?