Quantcast

Yeti Landspeed Record bike on Ebay

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Because at those speeds you need it to smooth out the track. A small bump can get you in real trouble at 120MPH

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
i dunno i think id want the disk on the front for the modulation... plus hitting and locking the rim with hydro rim brakes at 120mph doesnt sound very fun for your face

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
There were no mounts on the fork for a disc. Also the run was done on snow, so braking power wasn't that big of a deal.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
this is true...but the bike already has a disk in the back, and back then yeti wasn't exactly known for "run what you brung," they tended to do things their way regardless (see pullshocks, floating brakes, disks on the rear, etc.).

Not sure that hope c2 was much of an improvement though.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
I think what he was referring to was that the bike is that of Carolyn "Curly" Curl and she made her attempts on snow at Les Alps if my memory is correct.

She was a well known speed skier at the time and was one of the first to bring the speed skiing suit/helmet, as well as the style/approach, to setting the mtb speed record. She even did the speed event at the winter x-games (way back, think when the still did that stupid modified snow shovel racing event!), it was a straight on run with a huge net at the end of the "braking zone".......her x-games fame came from going head-on into the net, dramatically flipping over the bars with bike in tow, and taking a huge digger on her head on the opposite side of the net.....where she put a huge dent in the top tube of her bike with her knee!!!!

Edit: Sorry, just noticed the link on the first post with a bit of the backstory.....my excitement of seeing that bike again caused me to miss the link the first time!!!

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i dunno i think id want the disk on the front for the modulation... plus hitting and locking the rim with hydro rim brakes at 120mph doesnt sound very fun for your face
You think the magura HS33 doesn't have modulation?