Quantcast

YETI SB4.5 TURQ XT or Orbea Rallon M10

MountainPuck

Chimp
Apr 10, 2018
I have been a road bike and commuter for the past 25 years. Last time I road mountain bikes it was when the Cannondale Pepperoni fork was considered suspension :-). Anyways I want to get back into mountain biking since trees don't deliberately try to run you over :-). I live in NC and don't plan on jumping off any cliffs or doing any racing but looking for just a great do it all mountain bike that I can also put some miles on. I have a shop here that has a Yeti SB4.5 that I can demo but not sure about locating a Orbea. I know the travel is different on these two bikes and the Orbea is closer in comparison to the Yeti SB5.5 but both Yeti and the LBS recommended the SB4.5 for what i was looking for. I have read reviews on the Orbea and it sounds like a great all around mountain bike with a little more travel and about $1,400 less. just wanted to see if anyone has a recommendation of one over the other. Thanks in advance.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Welcome to the :monkey:. Come for the advise, stay for the snark!

I have a Rallon from the previous generation (X30, heavily modified). What I learned from several online reviews is most of the riding characteristics got ported to the bigger wheeled M series. It's ax excellent climber (given it has over 100% anti-squat in almost every gear) and rides lighter than it sounds on paper. It's also bomber on the chunkier downhill trails. Orbea has also been great in the support department.

This review from Vital seems spot on. Take a look at the comments for additional information:

https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Bikes,3/Orbea/Occam-Rallon-M10,19198#product-reviews/3120/expand

With those extra $1400 you could also lighten up the Orbea a bit over the time, get moar beer, or spend it on bike trips.

I haven't had any time on a Yeti, but several other members have, and will surely chime in.

Last edited:

MountainPuck

Chimp
Apr 10, 2018
Welcome to the :monkey:. Come for the advise, stay for the sarcasm!

I have a Rallon from the previous generation (X30, heavily modified). What I learned from several online reviews is most of the riding characteristics got ported to the bigger wheeled M series. It's ax excellent climber (given it has over 100% anti-squat in almost every gear) and rides lighter than it sounds on paper. It's also bomber on the chunkier downhill trails. Orbea has also been great in the support department.

This review from Vital seems spot on. Take a look at the comments for additional information:

https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Bikes,3/Orbea/Occam-Rallon-M10,19198#product-reviews/3120/expand

With those extra $1400 you could also lighten up the Orbea a bit over the time, get moar beer, or spend it on bike trips.

I haven't had any time on a Yeti, but several other members have, and surely chime in.
SlimShady,

Thanks for the information and feedback. I will definitely take a look at the review and more beer is always a good thing.