Quantcast

yeti sb66?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I'll loathingly admit that part of me does feel like I'm missing out on something by not having 650beez, particularly as it seems most shops are already limiting their stock of 26" 'Enduro' tyres, but for the price I paid for it I'm a very happy man.
Don't stress on missing out too much, man. I'm on an SB5c now and love the crap out of it, but it's not the wheel size. Ride is similar to the SB-66 but has a couple different qualities, again neither of which I think are due to wheel size. The 66 felt more stable at speed, particularly in the rough, even with a 150mm Fox 34 up front. The 5c, with a 160mm Fox 36, feels a bit twitchier in these scenarios to me. The slightly lighter and shorter frame is noticeable. It's not a bad thing though... the tradeoff os the 66 required more rider input to get it to change lines if I found myself in a less than ideal line choice. The SB5c just feel a little more nimble / agile is all, but not as confident in the rough. But like, 10% or less, less confident. I always felt like I had to really drive the 66, had to be on it, over the front end with elbows out ready for battle. The 5c feels a bit less like this, a little more forgiving in some situations. Both bikes ride better the faster you let 'em eat. The only thing wheel size might be playing to IMNSHO is the 5c tracks a bit smoother through repeated square-edged hits, but I was attributing that to the refinement of the Switch Infinity vs. Switch until a friend pointed out that the slightly larger diameter wheel could be a factor. Either way, it's not a drastic improvement, more of a refinement. Both are damn fine bikes.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I pop in once and a question I can answer is front page. What are the odds on that?

why shouldnt i get a sb66?
i hear they crack a lot, and the bearings dont last much and are expensive...
anyone with real world experience with them?
I broke my 66Al on the swingarm, where the know weakness is. I have since switched to a 66C.

I never had any issues with bearings. I rode that bike in clay-mud, loam, sand-clay, etc. Pretty much anything you can ride a bike in and had no bearing issues.

I have real world experience with this bike you speak of.
[stuff]

I'm not light, and I'm not the slowest guy going down the hill. I found the 2014 internals of the Fox 34 CTD were a big improvement over the 2013 version and while they were fine, that fork never was half as good as the 2015 Fox 36 I have on my bike now. A lot of folks complain about the CTD damper on the rear of the SB66 as well, but I found that setting the air to proper sag (25-30%) and then just sticking it in 'Trail 3' or 'Climb' all the time worked pretty well. But that's my style, I like some compression damping... felt like the 'Descend' mode on that rear shock was garbage for how I ride... felt like it wallowed everywhere and had no 'pop' to it. But I really liked how the bike climbed AND descended in the firmer settings.

Why shouldn't you get it? Well, I don't know how much you're getting for the Scott, but that could be a reason. I sold my SB66c for $3200 USD just a few short months ago, and was happy to get that for it. It's no secret the market is moving away from the 26" wheel REAL fast, so if / when you wanna get something new down the road it's gonna be even more difficult to sell it. Hell, new tire models coming out now aren't even offered in 26" versions... kind of crap there. If you can get tires / rims for the bike easily though, might be a reason to pick it up. It's an awesome bike. I've bled turquoise for a long time, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. However more than one person I know who are not Yeti fanbois have ridden that bike and also given it high praise.

And if the Yeti isn't carbon, forget it.
What FT said there. I'm bigger and probalby ride rougher than he does. Stick with the carbon. Mine is setup with a new Pike, 1x10, with 819/Hope wheels. Sitting at 29.5#.

Care to elaborate? I picked up a 2014 aluminum with the carbon rear end. I'm loving it so far.
Al rear triangles were breaking. No issue with the C.

Like I said above, the main reason I said that was because the OP was coming off a carbon bike, and I was hoping he wasn't paying more for an alloy. I've never owned an alloy 66, but I've ridden a couple and they're really nice. The carbon version is just quieter, lighter, and stiffer. I had very few issues with my carbon frame, and I rode it a lot. Sloppily and with reckless abandon. I even threw it down large expanses of rocks in Moab on multiple occasions and had no issues.
Concur.

Didn't Stoney have a few of these? I like it, I would totally rock one, especially if I could find one for a grand. Aluminum of course, my Yeti like riding style makes carbon nervous. :rofl:
Yes. Al and C. I would not buy an Al again. If my wookie ass can ride the C, you are fine.

Stoney has one and as I recall loves it.
He's threatened to ride it again once this Ironman training/racing thing is done for the year.
It will happen soon. But I might have to meet you at the top.

Stoney also rolls an XL. He and I seem to be of similar build, but I've never rocked an XL in any frame. I do tend to like a smaller bike to toss around.

$3600 @ 26lbs. I can't even imagine what it feels like on 26lbs, I've been rolling my 42lbs RM7 for about 4 years now. :rofl:
Rocking 29.5# and killing it. The XL rides like a trail bike for me. It definitely is not an XC bike. At 6'3" (I'm apparently shorter now), it's a trail bike for wookie folk, for sure.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So the carbon gives where the aluminum breaks? I guess I will see if they have a carbon around somewhere and check it out.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So the carbon gives where the aluminum breaks? I guess I will see if they have a carbon around somewhere and check it out.
Not sure, but there is no weak point from the weld. That probably has more to do with it than anything else.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
So the 2014's were made with aluminum front ends and carbon rears because of all the failures? I'm glad I went with the 2014 over the 13. I was tempted to save $100 and get the all aluminum version. I finally made a good decision. I'm going to buy myself a beer.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So the 2014's were made with aluminum front ends and carbon rears because of all the failures? I'm glad I went with the 2014 over the 13. I was tempted to save $100 and get the all aluminum version. I finally made a good decision. I'm going to buy myself a beer.
I wouldn't say that specifically, but it would make sense. It also dropped almost 1# off the frame, so that sure makes it beneficial.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I pop in once and a question I can answer is front page. What are the odds on that?

I broke my 66Al on the swingarm, where the know weakness is. I have since switched to a 66C.

I never had any issues with bearings. I rode that bike in clay-mud, loam, sand-clay, etc. Pretty much anything you can ride a bike in and had no bearing issues.

What FT said there. I'm bigger and probalby ride rougher than he does. Stick with the carbon. Mine is setup with a new Pike, 1x10, with 819/Hope wheels. Sitting at 29.5#.

Al rear triangles were breaking. No issue with the C.

Concur.

Yes. Al and C. I would not buy an Al again. If my wookie ass can ride the C, you are fine.

It will happen soon. But I might have to meet you at the top.

Rocking 29.5# and killing it. The XL rides like a trail bike for me. It definitely is not an XC bike. At 6'3" (I'm apparently shorter now), it's a trail bike for wookie folk, for sure.
Thanks dude
But the carbon sb66 was sold for 2700 before i could make an offer.
In wad a good deal.

Ill place an order for a yt capra, probably the aluminum one.... Not sure if i should cough up and extra 1200-1300 bucks for a carbon frame....

Now, thats a matter for a new thread

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Why not buy one in the US using a monkey as intermediary? There are a ton of them available for cheap in Denver.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Don't stress on missing out too much, man. I'm on an SB5c now and love the crap out of it, but it's not the wheel size. Ride is similar to the SB-66 but has a couple different qualities, again neither of which I think are due to wheel size. The 66 felt more stable at speed, particularly in the rough, even with a 150mm Fox 34 up front. The 5c, with a 160mm Fox 36, feels a bit twitchier in these scenarios to me. The slightly lighter and shorter frame is noticeable. It's not a bad thing though... the tradeoff os the 66 required more rider input to get it to change lines if I found myself in a less than ideal line choice. The SB5c just feel a little more nimble / agile is all, but not as confident in the rough. But like, 10% or less, less confident. I always felt like I had to really drive the 66, had to be on it, over the front end with elbows out ready for battle. The 5c feels a bit less like this, a little more forgiving in some situations. Both bikes ride better the faster you let 'em eat. The only thing wheel size might be playing to IMNSHO is the 5c tracks a bit smoother through repeated square-edged hits, but I was attributing that to the refinement of the Switch Infinity vs. Switch until a friend pointed out that the slightly larger diameter wheel could be a factor. Either way, it's not a drastic improvement, more of a refinement. Both are damn fine bikes.
Having recently switched from 26 to 27.5, I feel like almost everything you are comparing between the two bikes is due entirely to wheelsize.

I do however agree that switching from 26 to 27.5 just to switch is not worth the $, if it is time for a new bike, then switch (as you have very little choice anyway) but don't do it just because you feel you'll gain something or realize some huge night and day difference between the two.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
sooo, in the longest bike purchase decision ever....

after a year of being a roadie (not really, did only 400km on the road bike this year) and neglecting the mountain bike (according to strava, I have posted only 120km on mountain trails over the last entire year) I bought another mountain bike a few weeks ago.

ibis mojo hd3, with fox float 36 and cane creek double barrel, with some zees, and a reverb....
was thinking about a capra; but I felt they where too much compromise... and for the price of the fox/carbon capra, I can almost get a ibis + a bare bones aluminum yt tues; which would better serve my needs; if I find the mojo lacking in the DH deparment....

will hit the mountain trails soon.... the kiddo is 2 years old now, and am looking to ride 2000-3000km a year again....

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
sooo, in the longest bike purchase decision ever....

after a year of being a roadie (not really, did only 400km on the road bike this year) and neglecting the mountain bike (according to strava, I have posted only 120km on mountain trails over the last entire year) I bought another mountain bike a few weeks ago.

ibis mojo hd3, with fox float 36 and cane creek double barrel, with some zees, and a reverb....
was thinking about a capra; but I felt they where too much compromise... and for the price of the fox/carbon capra, I can almost get a ibis + a bare bones aluminum yt tues; which would better serve my needs; if I find the mojo lacking in the DH deparment....

will hit the mountain trails soon.... the kiddo is 2 years old now, and am looking to ride 2000-3000km a year again....
The Ibis Mojo HD3 was on my short list before I bought the SB- 6C, I believe the small size still comes with 26" wheels... if the 2017 bonus gods treat me right there will be one in my future.