Quantcast

Yeti's new AS-R 7 and 303 (Sicklines)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
My first thought is that it's a solution in search of a problem. Properly designed chainstays provide plenty of tire clearance, don't mangle front derailleurs and why should the whole rear end of a bike be re-designed around chainslap? Wrap your chainstay and call it good.

Looks sweet, though, and if they can get it as stiff for a given weight, well, there will be people who will buy it just because it's different.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Properly designed forks have plenty of tire clearence too, but that never stopped Cannondale from rocking the Lefty, either. I say push the envelope. Looks good!!

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
I'm ok with the 1 sided swingarm but not crazy about a carbon chainstay though...I'm sure a lot of people will say carbon is strong enough but I'd be worry about the durability personally

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
I got to see one in person last week. Unfortunately, I was not allowed to ride it. However, it was pretty cool. The whole rear end of the bike is very very large. The seatstays are bigger than most single strut swingarm bikes, and with the split pivot design the ST shares a lot of the stress load. The main pivot is massive (25mm), and so are the pivots on the swinglink.

Overall I was much more impressed with the bike in person than I was with the drawings floating around on the Internet. Hopefully, I'll get to ride one before spring.

While I was visiting Yeti at the SolVista resort I also road the new 575 a bunch on the DH trails. The new bike is considerably stiffer laterally than the original version. It drifted through corners smoothly with no twisting and hopping. Yeti seems very focused on stiff light frames, so I'd guess the new 7 will be that way too.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I'll pass. Like others have mentioned it seems like they are creating a solution for something that isn't really a problem. 3 points of contact forming a triangle is always going to be stronger than 2 points.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I didn't think it was possible to get the 303 to look any more funky, but I guess I was wrong. It's not ugly, it just looks like there's a lot going on there.

I like the as-r 7. The strange rearend aside, the bike looks like it would be lots of fun. I'm also guessing that if it's a 7" bike, the rear is going to be strong, single sided swing arm and carbon fibre or not. It's not like they can't expect people to ride them hard.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
How many times does it have to be said that motorcycles and bicycles are different. Excessive weight is less tolerable on a bicycle. Of course you can make a single sided swing arm. They are all over the place of street bikes. Does that mean that it is the best trade off between weight, strength, durability, perfomance (including stiffness) and cost?

Using the idea that if it is on a motorcyle it must be good for a DH bikes, have you seen the single side swing arm on RC's Suzuki 450?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The whole rear end of the bike is very very large. The seatstays are bigger than most single strut swingarm bikes, and with the split pivot design the ST shares a lot of the stress load. The main pivot is massive (25mm), and so are the pivots on the swinglink.
Rather than all that beef I wonder if maybe they could have made it lighter with a more conventional design.

I've always liked yeti but with this and the 303 it's hard to tell if they are trying to innovate for performance or just to be different.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I like the 07 more...

I wonder if they'll have the asx too.

The AS R-7... air shock only? says it on the video, on the link to the video. Wouldn't like an air shock if I road like I do on my asx right now.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yeah, stupid innovators. We should've stuck with the Penny Farthing.
How is this "innovation"?

It's just different. They may be able to make it structurally sound, and with enough careful design, maybe it'll even come in at a good weight and everyone will be happy. But it's not innovative, it's just different for the sake of being different.

The Lefty isn't quite the same as this since they had the option of taking a completely different approach to the whole front end of the bike. Bigger head tube (at the time) and square stanctions floating on needle bearings. Totally different design from conventional forks. All Yeti has the option to do here is to beef the heck out of the rear end and hope it stays stiff enough. Yeah, it can be done, and if their engineers have everything together, maybe it'll come in functional and at a good weight. But that doesn't make it the best solution.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
...still can't do a chain without a breaker or quik-link. Not one-sided enough.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Back to the future?
i l-l-l-l-love m-m-michael jjjjj foxsssss

:disgust1:

have you ridden a lawill bike? they were great, pedalled great, tracked great, cornered great. they were heavy and overcomplicated, but that could be resolved.

they also had two sides to their swingarms, and didn't use rails.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
I got to see one in person last week. Unfortunately, I was not allowed to ride it. However, it was pretty cool. The whole rear end of the bike is very very large. The seatstays are bigger than most single strut swingarm bikes, and with the split pivot design the ST shares a lot of the stress load. The main pivot is massive (25mm), and so are the pivots on the swinglink.
so is the brake mount actually on the chainstay like the press release says or is it in fact on the seatstay?

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i think i like it, though i do need to see it in person. i fully trust yeti with their r&d, so i'm going to end up getting either one of those or a marin quake as my next bike as long as no sick new stuff comes out during interbike.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i wonder why they didn't use two stanchions instead of the rails? that way they probably could have made the stanchion tubes part of the load bearing main frame structure. also they could use standard suspension bushings and seals, maybe that along with a bigger bushing overlap on the top rail, they could make it stiff enough so that they dont need that extra stiffening link that adds more weight.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
i l-l-l-l-love m-m-michael jjjjj foxsssss

:disgust1:

have you ridden a lawill bike? they were great, pedalled great, tracked great, cornered great. they were heavy and overcomplicated, but that could be resolved.

they also had two sides to their swingarms, and didn't use rails.
Rotec is your answer.

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand

It's just different. They may be able to make it structurally sound, and with enough careful design, maybe it'll even come in at a good weight and everyone will be happy. But it's not innovative, it's just different for the sake of being different.

The Lefty isn't quite the same as this since they had the option of taking a completely different approach to the whole front end of the bike. Bigger head tube (at the time) and square stanctions floating on needle bearings. Totally different design from conventional forks. All Yeti has the option to do here is to beef the heck out of the rear end and hope it stays stiff enough. Yeah, it can be done, and if their engineers have everything together, maybe it'll come in functional and at a good weight. But that doesn't make it the best solution.
Innovation? Yeah, because there are lots of bikes out there with single sided swingarms out there at the moment...

who knows, maybe all future race tracks will be designed a la indy car with turns only in one direction - and then who'll be laughing? Cannondale, that's who!

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali

in no way am i gonna e-speculate that this Seven is good or bad as a finished design. the proof will be in the final product---true weight, lateral stiffness, pivot reliability, etc are unknowns at this point so it's premature to call it innovative--or stupid.

how many split pivot frames have you designed? would a mono chain stay design have some advantages w/ a split pivot? conceivably, yes. i can think of several. and i can think of several design challenges too. of course i've only been an engineer for 15 years.

pointing out that motorcycles and mtn bikes are different is like pointing out that gravitational pull on the moon and earth are different. file under 'obvious'. the point of making the analogy to mono-arm bikes is that when those came out there were plenty who said 'what a stupid design, can't they hire real engineers?'.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
it's premature to call it innovative--or stupid.
I'm not calling it stupid at all. As a matter of fact, I said right in my post that it may all come together and be just fine. There are some necessities in the mountain biking world, though, and one of those is the highest strength to weight ratio you can achieve because we provide our own power. So, from my perspective, I see them trying to force a non-traditional design into an application where it is not ideal.

It can work, for sure, but again - my whole point was that, IMO, it's a solution where a problem didn't really exist, and there are many challenges to overcome the defects in such a design, so.. why?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I would argue that even if these designs end up being "solutions in search of a problem" as BV suggests they might, they're still innovative in the sense that the thinking is outside of the box. Yeti has taken technology from other industries and applied it to bicycle suspension, and IMO is (in a way) forcing the rest of the world to look at things just a little bit differently. Whether you admire it, like it, dislike it, or discount it... it's probably giving you pause for thought.

I am stoked on the new stuff they have coming out, although it's no secret I'm a whore for Yeti stuff like most 17-year-old racer-boys have a hard-on for Sam Hill. I'm digging the new hydro-formed look, on everything from the 575 to the 303 top tube, to even the CX bike. Hopefully I can give that Seven a try before too long - I guess they weren't letting people ride it at the dealer demo because it's not quite finished yet.