Quantcast

Yeti's new AS-R 7 and 303 (Sicklines)

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
the new 7 looks great, but I'm not liking the 303, with 225 grms less, I feel they could have made it much lighter, I was disapointed to read this, since the only draw back on the 303 is the weight, other than that, the geo is spot on, and just works flawlessly, oh well, just have to weight for the 09 version

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
the new 7 looks great, but I'm not liking the 303, with 225 grms less, I feel they could have made it much lighter, I was disapointed to read this, since the only draw back on the 303 is the weight, other than that, the geo is spot on, and just works flawlessly, oh well, just have to weight for the 09 version
I dunno man... a half pound seems like quite a bit of weight to lose from a frame...

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
I dunno man... a half pound seems like quite a bit of weight to lose from a frame...
It is better than nothing but what about using 8 screws, 2 removable aluminum blocs, 2 sleeves and 8 steel insert to make a freaking rear wheel dropout. Seriously that's retarded. That's too bad because they are great frames but some of these details are just stupid (not to mention heavy and costly)

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
anybody else feel like the new yeti is ugly.. thank god i got the 07
anybody else feel like the old yetis were ugly too...

I'm just glad they finally went to a 30.9 seatpost on the DJ. Never understood why they clung to the roadie standard of 27.2 for so long.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
I'm not calling it stupid at all. As a matter of fact, I said right in my post that it may all come together and be just fine. There are some necessities in the mountain biking world, though, and one of those is the highest strength to weight ratio you can achieve because we provide our own power. So, from my perspective, I see them trying to force a non-traditional design into an application where it is not ideal.

It can work, for sure, but again - my whole point was that, IMO, it's a solution where a problem didn't really exist, and there are many challenges to overcome the defects in such a design, so.. why?
my point was that until we know what the strength:stiffness:weight ratios turn out to be for this new frame design, we don't really know whether it was or was not worth their design efforts. needless to say, we know that the Yeti engineers are very focussed on stiffness:weight in all their new frames. it's not like they're overlooking the fact that bikes are human-powered. i'm not a big Lefty fan, but i do admit that it enabled a better stiffness:weight ratio than traditional designs. who knows how this'll play out?

the square profile / needle bearing design of the lefty was a means to an end---i.e. it was required for them to have a single fork leg. thus i'd argue that the bearing solution was not the real innovation of the lefty -- it was one of the many engr solutions necessary to bring out an innovative single leg fork. there was no 'problem' to solve there---trad forks did work--but cannondale thought they could improve the stiffness:weight ratio, and did so.

my bigger concern is having a CF chainstay that gets smacked by rocks regularly....

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001

"The idea is that the one-chainstay design will lessen chain slap and the concentric rear axle/pivot location and chainstay-mounted brake mount will eliminate brake jack. Plus, the overall package – a 7-pound/7-inch travel frame – promises to hit a sweet spot in the market, especially if you live in a part of the country with terrain as burly as Colorado."

http://bikemag.com/news/freshproduce/Yeti-preview-08/index1.html

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yeah agreed the bent seat tube is a bit annoying im sure there is a reason...a bike like that should allow for full seat extension or colapse.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
looks intersting......like binary visions mentioned earlier, it's kind of a solution to something that really isn't a problem.....kind of like a lefty, it's different, but it's really not inherintly better, or really fixing anything, so all in all i think it's gimmicky....

the only think i can think of that i give yeti major props for is the fact that since the bike does have alot of travel, and 3 chainrings, it is more prone to chain suck and chain slap due to a slightly longer chain being nessecary, but on the contrary....a chainstay may help guard against bushes, rocks, branches....kinda silly, but kinda cool too

XGrantX

Chimp
Apr 23, 2006
It works and it makes sense. The chainstays are only under a tension force i.e being tugged backward by the wheels travel and we know materials are much much stronger in tension rather then bending or compression and so yeti is able to use only one chainstay.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
It works and it makes sense. The chainstays are only under a tension force i.e being tugged backward by the wheels travel and we know materials are much much stronger in tension rather then bending or compression and so yeti is able to use only one chainstay.
yea.............no

the chainstay is subjected to A LOT more than tensile stresses....however check this thread out.....wiscodh gives some pretty cool insight to composite materials

http://www.bustedspoke.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=39203

AtTheGates

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
If the stay is under tension loading during suspension compression, wouldn't it be under compression loads during rebound?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You think a chainstay is only under tension?

What do you think happens when you corner?

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
looks intersting......like binary visions mentioned earlier, it's kind of a solution to something that really isn't a problem.....kind of like a lefty, it's different, but it's really not inherintly better, or really fixing anything, so all in all i think it's gimmicky....
it's easy--and fun--to throw out the phrase 'solves a problem that doesn't exist', but think this through. every frame designer faces the 'problem' of designing a stiff, light, and strong frame. ideally, stiffer or lighter than the competition. this frame apparently weighs just 7 lbs and has 7 inches of travel. i haven't ridden or flexed it, but if in fact it tracks well on off-camber landings and corners, then it has in fact solved a problem i.e. it has pushed the envelope in terms of being a light/stiff/strong/7 inch travel bike.

the fact that accomplishing this goal required a single chainstay would almost be besides the point.

one thing armchair frame designers sometimes overlook is that much of the weight of a frame is associated with pivot hardware and the formed portions of the structural members where the pivots and other junctions are located. so, sometimes it might make sense to remove one structural member (e.g. chainstay) and beef up the other structural member (left chainstay, including a large pivot)...and save weight overall while maintaining or increasing overall stiffness.

i'm not a huge fan of single pivot chainstay bikes in the 5+ inch travel category, so i doubt i'd consider this yeti. also i haven't seen any photos of the rear axle design here. so i'm still skeptical.

but i don't see this as a gimmick.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Can someone please explain how a chainstay-mounted brake mount can eliminate brake jack? Might as well be a single pivot faux-bar design.
my understanding is that it can't and it will act just like a single pivot faux-bar design.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Was they sarcasm?:brow:

I would be interested to hear your take on this.
yeah, it was. they should have painted it and called it alum.

to hard of a sell. i know.

i think the bike rules, if it was a smaller frame with long tt.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
oh man, after seeing that pic, i'm pretty turned off on the whole thing. i thought it would be burlier looking, but something about the design has me thinking long travel all mountain rather than freeride. i think it will be really stiff, that is a freekin' massive amount of carbon used for the stays. it looks pretty good, just not really my style i guess.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
yeah, it was. they should have painted it and called it alum.

to hard of a sell. i know.

i think the bike rules, if it was a smaller frame with long tt.

See, the thing is, even if it was alum I wouldn't want to ride it. I feel enough flex in my bikes as is, and that's with an alum chainstay on EACH side. I can't imagine the flex/pivot bearing wear on a one sided swingarm frame......but maybe that's just me.

XGrantX

Chimp
Apr 23, 2006
yea.............no

the chainstay is subjected to A LOT more than tensile stresses....however check this thread out.....wiscodh gives some pretty cool insight to composite materials

http://www.bustedspoke.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=39203
Yes, but by using beefy seatstays to handle some of these loads alot of those stresses are reduced. As in the seat stays are designed to take most of the left and right forces while the chainstay is just there for axle path and tension forces. Im talking in principles and relativly.
This design only really benefit riding dispiplines where the extremes of conering are not reached. Hence this being a freeride design rather than a downhill race frame.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I'd ride it, and I bet it would be fun. I seriously doubt a company like yeti could sell a bike like this that's going to have failure issues. It's just not good business to manufacture a whole bunch of bikes that you're going to have to recall or replace the swingarm on.

Only things i'd do differently on the bike in the pic would be to put the seat down and get a shorter stem on it. Lighter bikes are the way to go, they corner easier.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Yes, but by using beefy seatstays to handle some of these loads alot of those stresses are reduced. As in the seat stays are designed to take most of the left and right forces while the chainstay is just there for axle path and tension forces. Im talking in principles and relativly.
This design only really benefit riding dispiplines where the extremes of conering are not reached. Hence this being a freeride design rather than a downhill race frame.
you make less and less sense each time you post.:banghead:

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
just stop posting. :brows:

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I seriously doubt a company like yeti could sell a bike like this that's going to have failure issues. It's just not good business to manufacture a whole bunch of bikes that you're going to have to recall or replace the swingarm on.
Well, they released the '04 AS-X, then had to warranty a ton of broken swingarms. So you never know, sometimes things just don't work as intended.

I think this bike is gonna be pretty sweet. I'd love to ride one for a bit. It's a bit gimmicky, but not completely retarded either. The split pivot or whatever seems like a great idea. I'm imagining an AS-X that doesn't pedal like poop.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
what xc/am rider needs 7" of travel? I'm a travel whore and even I know that...I wouldn't mind switching my prophet out for a 5" bike. Shedding weight is great...but this is pretty clearly a bike that shouldn't be used for freeride...

IMO they should have made one in 5" or less first...then taken the technology up. Plus, 7" of single pivot travel in a pedallybike frame? nothx