Quantcast

yo CNC machinist geeks, huddle up.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
here is what I am doing

I am planning to buy a 120v bench top CNC milling machine.

I do not have the time or the patience for software rendering from scratch. I am going to be doing small one time parts and have limited time to produce the files on the computer.

is there a scanner or network micrometer/calipers that is available? and what are my price options?

all I need is the ability to get the basic forms and dimensions in 3D.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Spent 15 years working with CNC machines, specifically controls. There are plenty of options out there but they may cost more than your machine.

What machine do you have and what kind of parts are you trying to make?

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
its taking me too long to hand tool on the (el manuel) mill I have.

been shopping for machines in the 1k$ market. basic 3 axis stuff, possibly adding 4th down the road. needs to be bench top and run 120v. nothing very fancy or hyper fast just automated.

I will usually get a part that may be broken or just has to be modified a little and need the ability to scan/caliper/mic the over all piece into 3D. since I dont have hours on end to render the piece from scratch I am looking for a more speedy solution.

when I worked at nosler bullets I used a corded set of calipers (interfaced with the CAD software) to input the sides and dimensions of basic forms and could use the same tool to pinpoint other features (IE borings, angles, chamfers etc) from the actual prototype part and would then be a file ready for the machine.

all the parts would be fairly small and alum

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Pictures of typical parts? If you can wrap your head around doing something on a manual mill it isn't all that hard to turn that into a CNC program.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Pictures of typical parts? If you can wrap your head around doing something on a manual mill it isn't all that hard to turn that into a CNC program.
I am fast with a manual mill, not very fast on the computer, the learing curve is too great for me (post coma/iraq) call it one of my disabilities.

I cant hold the info from the part to the computer without losing it or losing my last reference.....consider it adaptive machining

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
$1k won't buy anything usable for a CNC machine. What you're looking at are desktop machines made for schools. They are rigid enough to really cut metal.

And yes, software solutions for manufacturing are expensive. I spend $5k/yr just in "maintenance" fees for 3 seats. Then solidworks on top of that to build the models.

Unfortunately, you do need to be decently savvy with computers to run computer controlled machine tools.

edit: just watched that Next Engine demo
It looks cool. However, even if the model came out super clean and ready for machining, they skipped the step where they used $10k software to create the tool paths. It also takes a ton of time.

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
$1k won't buy anything usable for a CNC machine. What you're looking at are desktop machines made for schools. They are rigid enough to really cut metal.

And yes, software solutions for manufacturing are expensive. I spend $5k/yr just in "maintenance" fees for 3 seats. Then solidworks on top of that to build the models.

Unfortunately, you do need to be decently savvy with computers to run computer controlled machine tools.

edit: just watched that Next Engine demo
It looks cool. However, even if the model came out super clean and ready for machining, they skipped the step where they used $10k software to create the tool paths. It also takes a ton of time.
I appreciate you pointing out more problems but you arent helping with any solutions

I can run software fine, its just the input process I am having problems with, I need something to bridge that gap.

Icantdrive65

Monkey
Mar 21, 2005
Chinquapin fire road
If you have a CAD/CAM program that can load jpegs you have a bit of a shortcut for 2.5D parts.

I found that a normal flatbed scanner will scan to scale. You can place a part on the scanner (middle of the bed is best) and scan it. Load the file into your CAD software and you can overlay your geometry on the picture. You are still going to need to measure the z-axis dimensions, but you have cut a lot of work out.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
My experience with bench top machines is that they just don't have the weight/rigidity to hold reasonable tolerences.

Depending on where you live g-code Tree, do-all or bridgeports can be had for reasonable prices.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I appreciate you pointing out more problems but you arent helping with any solutions

I can run software fine, its just the input process I am having problems with, I need something to bridge that gap.
That's the issue. As things stand today, there IS nothing to bridge that gap. The software is improving. But to my knowledge, right now there is no scanner that just spits out ready to go models. The scan data needs LOTS of massaging.

Now there are services that will do that for you. But it aint cheap.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A nice manual will also be more capable of serious cutting, as mentioned before benchtop machines lack the ability to cut well.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
I'm finishing up building a 120v cnc mill setup now. I'll take some pictures when I get home.

This is what it looked like when it was a manual mill:
http://macpod.net/misc/sx2_tachometer/sx2_tachometer.php

Those tachometer kits are what's funding the cnc build :)

What cnc mill do you plan to buy?

Edit: I played around with an older model NextEngine scanner someone brought to the local hackerspace. It was really slow and we had to tweak the output quite a bit... then again we didn't have a perfect setup either.

Last edited:

xyzcnc

Chimp
Dec 5, 2011
is there a scanner or network micrometer/calipers that is available? and what are my price options?

all I need is the ability to get the basic forms and dimensions in 3D.

DAVID 3D Scanner this is exactly what you are looking for.. FREE... you can email me at support@fambooking.com for any questions. I built this in no time flat. The hardest thing was finding the right laser and camera for the job. I had everything I needed for this already and found the perfect laser for $6.47 usd with a power supply. You can also use a projector but I had a friend loan me his paid version of the software and it is only good with a laser.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
Life has kept me pretty busy, but I got around to making a video of my cnc setup that lives in my apartment kitchen (watch on youtube for HD):

I'm using EMC2 and the machine works ok. The accuracy could be better... I have backlash issues, even with oversized ballbearings the in the ballscrews. This can be accounted for in the software, but I haven't measured how bad it is or tried to tweak it since I have been cutting out 2d parts with non-critical dimensions.

For cad software, I'm using draftsight and cambam for cnc. I really wish solidworks and mastercam were cheaper! If they had a hobbyist version I would jump on them.

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Are you CNC'ing penile implants finally? I know in the Philippines they told you that when they put those airsoft pellets subdermally into their wangs that it worked better for the lady boys to feel the sensation, but we really need to draw the line somewhere my friend.

Give ol Sarge Dirt a call, I'll walk you through why a penile piercing is a lot better choice than spending all this money to make little widgets to stick in your member.

edit:
see, the implants aren't even safe. Don't risk your star player.
Bolitas aren't safe after all...

Last edited: