Quantcast

Yo smart people! Tax question...

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
So...last night I paid bills and took the first stab at getting my 1040 done.

Last year, when I filed, it took me and my mom several days to itemize deductions and lower the amount I owed the gov't to just over $100...

This year...I just do a cursory walkthrough of my taxes to see the range of what I think I'll owe...and the gov't owes me???? I don't get it...

I went to school less this year than last year - so much smaller deduction
Made roughly 10% more overall this year than last year (my most recent raise only went into effect in November)
I always claim 1 for myself, same as last year....
Paid interest on student loans - slightly more this year than last, but not significantly more
Paid the same towards my IRA and other retirement things...

So why?

Any thoughts?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Jr_Bullit said:
Any thoughts?
There was a reduction in withholding tax % this year. So if your employer was not fast to make the correction with their payroll software that might contribute to a slightly higer withholding $ amount.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
menachite said:
Sorry to butt in and ask my own question:

Is there a cutoff date for employers to mail out 1099's?
W2's is 1/31,
I would ASSUME it is the same for 1099, but we do not have any 1099 employees so I cannot be sure

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Babs is right - they had to be postmarked 1/31. If you have moved, they only have to send it to the address they have on file by the 31st. If it comes back and they have to hunt you down, it ain't their problem.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
MMcG said:
MBC - what should I be claiming once my divorce is complete?

I'll get to claim one of the boys as my dependent and Shellie the other.

Should I claim 1 or 0 or 2 or what? :confused:
My wife and I with 2 kids still claim 0 each. We do get a nice tax return at the end of the year :D

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Heidi said:
If you have moved, they only have to send it to the address they have on file by the 31st. If it comes back and they have to hunt you down, it ain't their problem.
Heh, we have a STACK of W-2's here in payroll that got returned with incorrect addresses. They sit a pile and collect dust unless someone comes looking for one.

I processed our company's W-2's this year (11,000 of them) and had them out Jan 20. :dancing:

MMcG said:
MBC - what should I be claiming once my divorce is complete?

I'll get to claim one of the boys as my dependent and Shellie the other.

Should I claim 1 or 0 or 2 or what? :confused:
if you want we can sit down and do an estimate of what your taxes would look like given the scenario.

You might get head of household if we can say one of the boys lived with you for more than 1/2 the year, which would help and you can deduct the alimony - so my guess would be 1 but we'll have to do a projection.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
MtnBikerChk said:
if you want we can sit down and do an estimate of what your taxes would look like given the scenario.

You might get head of household if we can say one of the boys lived with you for more than 1/2 the year, which would help and you can deduct the alimony - so my guess would be 1 but we'll have to do a projection.
No alimony involved in our settlement - just child support.

she'll get to claim H of HH and I'll get to file single.

This year we'll have to file together again I think.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I am SOOO glad I am in corp accounting not tax right now.

although I am NOT doing our fed income tax package as I surf RM

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Mtb_Rob_FL said:

Oy! I'm up to my ears in our companies taxes right now! :mad: Will it ever end!!

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I'm SO afraid to do Taxes this year.
It is going to be confusing as hell.

1) I had unemployment
2) My wife is 1099
3) we opened up an LLC
4) we bought a house
5) My wife didn't take out ANY taxes
6) We started a car lease
7) I claimed 2 for part of the year, 0 for the rest
8) We made almost nothing for part of the year, and a lot for the other part.
9) I got bonuses and options

Time to hire a Tax guy.
Luckily I work for H&R Block :thumb:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
menachite said:
Sorry to butt in and ask my own question:

Is there a cutoff date for employers to mail out 1099's?
1096 and 1099 Copy A - 2/28/05 (date not flexible)
1099 Copy B - 1/31/05 (date is somewhat flexible)

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. Compare your total tax liability, not just what was owed/received, and let us know just how significant the difference is between 03 and 04 (no specifics, that's too personal for RM). Werd.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Mtb_Rob_FL said:

g/f is doing her internship in tax accounting right now. yea for 16hr work days.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
the Inbred said:
g/f is doing her internship in tax accounting right now. yea for 16hr work days.
and if she ends up going to work for one of the Big 4...you're doomed. Take it from me, I did it.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Wowzors! I disappear for a few hours and log back on hoping for one or two responses :D.

In answer to some of the questions: No bonus last year - company doesn't really do those; our bonuses come in the form of an employer match on our retirement plans.
No second job or anything...besides - wouldn't these things mean I owe More in taxes, not be receiving a large refund this year?

Mostly what I'm wondering about is the oddity in having Paid last year, and this year receiving a large refund, for essentially the same deductions and this year making about 10% more in income.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
No, if you had gotten a bonus, they would have most likely withheld taxes from it at a higher rate than your normal bracket. Then, when you filed your return, you would essentially get the difference back.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
SkaredShtles said:
My wife does not work, and I'm currently claiming 6. I hate letting the government "save" my money for me..... :mumble:

-S.S.-
I look at it this way.........................I don't have to worry about paying at the end of the year. One main reason is my rental property is sucking my bank account dry :mumble: I don't want to be paying on that and owing more money to Uncle Sam.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Heidi said:
and if she ends up going to work for one of the Big 4...you're doomed. Take it from me, I did it.
i don't think she will. she had pretty bad experiences with all but E&Y. i put her in touch with a friend of mine who started on at Deloitte a couple years ago, and...well....yeah. she wants to stick with middle market, namely GrantThornton.

did you take your CPA exam before going to work? my friend at Deloitte didn't and she said she basically gets looked down upon because of that. as part of the PPA program here at UT, i think Mandi takes it next spring.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Working at PricewaterhouseCoopers was the best and worst thing I ever did. Best, because after having worked for the biggest accounting firm in the world, I am able to get a job anywhere I want pretty much....worst, because I put a lot of hours in.

I fell under the old rules for getting my CPA license. I took the exam within my first 6 months of working there. Then I got my 2 years of experience, and got my license.