Quantcast

Yoga for a bad back?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I kind of want to give this a try. should I buy a book/video tape or take a class or just use Google?

does anyone have experience with yoga?

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
I have done Bikrams Hot Yoga in the past. I loved it, except for the 90 degree room temps. After a class I always felt incredible. I don't know what it is, you basically just stretch out your entire body. It's strenuous but relaxing in the end. If you do try it, I would suggest doing it at least 3 to 4 times before quitting. It takes a few sessions to learn the moves properly.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
CMT2B said:
what's wrong with your back, exactly?
my S.I. joint is pinched or whatever.

it's not real bad even at it's worst. maybe I'll have to lay on the floor for one day. it gets better over time, maybe two weeks if I don't use it.

I just need to stretch alot, probably. I thought yoga would be a good way to get into a good routine.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Yoga or Palatis (sp) would help. Just stretching, heat, and massages help a lot. I slipped a disc in a motorcycle wreck many years back and it still haunts me. I have found that hot tubs help. Just sit next to a jet right on your back.

I had to go to a chiroprator for many years to get the darn thing under control.

Believe it or not just casual riding helps, too. I think its that you are hunched over and stretching the muscles in the back. No hard rides just getting out and spinning for awhile. I use a stationary bike and it helps a lot.

Good Luck.

CMT2B

Chimp
Nov 4, 2004
Loveland, Colorado
Sciatica? The best muscle to stretch for that is piriformis, though I would recommend stretching all the muscles surrounding that nerve center: glutes, QLs, Illiacus/Psoas to help open that up.

A good CMT can help you work that out. Yoga would help, too, for sure.