Quantcast

Yoga -

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
One of my sisters has a hot yoga studio. I've sat in on a few of her hour and a half sessions and while I can get through it, I'm always praying for the end. The sweat POURS off, I want to die, but I feel refreshed after I cool down. I rowed for 2 years on a varsity college team and bikram is up there with some of the burly workouts we had to do.

Maybe your body is acclimating to the intensity of it.

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I never tried yoga before I experienced the Bikram room of death. Yoga isn't really my cup of tea. I'll keep doing the bikram classes once in a while, maybe a couple times a year, to prove to myself that I can still get through one.

Last edited:

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
My wife is a big fan of Bikram's (heated) yoga and I'll occasionally go to a class with her. It is a killer workout and love how you can measure your progress by seeing how far and long you can take a stretch. One of the other nice things about Bikram's is that is the same class (26 positions - 13 standing and 13 sitting) everywhere it is taught so no matter where you are, if you can find a place that teaches it, it will be the same class. Since my wife's pregnancy, she hasn't been able to do Bikram's yoga (the heat is not recommended for the baby) but has been doing a prenatal yoga DVD. One of things my wife can't wait for after she delivers is to go back to yoga...the other being drinking lots of wine!

My wife also used to do pilates, but she never felt that it was nearly as good a workout as the Bikram's yoga.

Rob - If you secure enough with yourself, I would recommend trying out a class - the sites alone are typically worth the price of admission :)
I'll second Bikram yoga, I have done it with my girlfriend a few times and like it. Even being a beginner I fit right into the class.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Bikram is actually a dude who 'invented' hot yoga He requires hot yoga studios to jump through enormous hoops and pay large sums of money for the privilege to use Bikram in the name. All studios using the name Bikram must be professionally trained by the man himself. He also has a habit of suing studios that he feels is infringing on his broad trademark style and process.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Bikram is a very cult-ish form of yoga. Would not recommend.

Hot yoga=Sure. Bikram=brain wash.
Explain?

I've done Bikram many many times. I have a hard time understanding how stretching for 90 minutes equals 'brain wash'.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Explain?

I've done Bikram many many times. I have a hard time understanding how stretching for 90 minutes equals 'brain wash'.
Some people go way overboard and turn it into a religious experience, and then look down their nose at you when they find out that it's "just" exercise.

I've dabbled in Ashtanga yoga a bit-I really need to do it more. It's so good for flexibility and core strength, but I'd rather just go ride.

frank81

Chimp
Feb 15, 2012
Redding, CA
I've been wanting to try Yoga for a while now. Excuses, excuses...I haven't gotten around to it yet (surprise! haha). I really admire the people who dedicate themselves to the practice, though. One day I'll sign up for a class. I need to find a friend who also wants to try it, so I have someone to go with.

Anyway, good for you, Jr_Bullit!

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
I have been doing some yoga pretty consistently for about the past 2 months (at least 2-3 times a week). I can already tell that it has made me a faster, more consistent rider overall. So what's up with all the people that think yoga is lame and hate on it? I have too many friends that are ignorant about yoga and it's benefits.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have been doing some yoga pretty consistently for about the past 2 months (at least 2-3 times a week). I can already tell that it has made me a faster, more consistent rider overall. So what's up with all the people that think yoga is lame and hate on it? I have too many friends that are ignorant about yoga and it's benefits.
same here. i'm starting to integrate yoga into my workout routine. i do it once a week. twice if i'm really sore or tight.

i don't take a class. there are yoga videos on netflix streaming.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
there are yoga videos on netflix streaming.
Really? Find one you like in particular? I was taking a class for a while but my work schedule changed and I couldn't go any more. Haven't been back and I actually really kind of miss it. Was thinking about buying a DVD or something but if its on the interflix........

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Really? Find one you like in particular? I was taking a class for a while but my work schedule changed and I couldn't go any more. Haven't been back and I actually really kind of miss it. Was thinking about buying a DVD or something but if its on the interflix........
just search for "yoga" a bunch will come up.

Some on there are better than others. There's one of those "ten minute" ones that rushes through everything and is kinda worthless.

Two that I found surprisingly good were actually called "healing yoga for common conditions" and "healing yoga for aches and pains". Good stretch based moves, good pace, emphasis on proper technique and breathing. The guy in them is a total stereotype - balding, fruity ponytail guy :rofl:

Last edited:

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Dolph Lundgren - Maximum Potential Workout Video

Description:
Dolph Lundgren (The Expendables, Villian from Rocky 4, Kickboxer and former Karate Champion) has put together his varied and comprehensive personal workout on homevideo, comprised of body sculpturing, boxing, shadow boxing, running, jumping rope, yoga, the martial arts and more. Even includes stress management - exercise for the mind.
Dolph Lundgren. Stress management.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
cased a jump really bad and my back is screwed up again. Pretty sure one of the discs is screwed up as this is the same feeling I had the last time that happened, which eventually led me to surgery.

signed up for the bikram yoga. I went on Monday, I went yesterday and I'm on my way out the door to go today. Worst 90 minutes ever but hopefully it helps my back. They eye candy isn't bad either....

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Just peeked my mead into this forum and saw this thread. I recently started looking for more core workout to keep my back in line. Started about two months ago with a reformer Pilates class..... Holy crap does that hurt but feel so good, I just started into the yoga this past monday, and Meh....... My routine should end up with Yoga Monday nights, Pilates Wednesday nights, gym Tues and Thurs and sat evening. So far the results are great. As far as the yoga being Meh I think for me its just finding the right instructor, this one I went to is A LOT too hippie for me, at the same time the balance and flexibility is a major plus.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Holy crap.... Missed the last two weeks of Pilates due to riding the scooter half way across the country.... My instructor told me when I came in we would make up for it..... The core is on fire..... I must say I do like the results as of now..... So does the lady friend

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
back is fvcked up agian. I'm back on that bikram yoga tip, son.

Just payed $140 for a month pass. I've gone three times in five days.

it sucks

awesomejack

Chimp
Mar 27, 2015
I do yoga for relaxation sometime with the help of book and videos but I never did heated yoga. Don't think it will be good for me, but I'm a fan of yoga and it keeps me fit, healthy, fresh and relaxed.