Quantcast

You bought a "quality" notebook right?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Its a good thing you paid that premium for brand X :brows:

[url=http://www.consumerist.com/consumer/laptops/all-laptops-break-period-210708.php]Consumer Reports via The Consumerist[/url] said:
All Laptops Break. Period.

This Consumer Reports chart ranks how quickly different laptops need repair. As you can see, Apple is in the middle, with Sony as the most reliable and Gateway the least. Surprisingly, on average, 17% of Apple laptops require serious repair. Suck on that, fanboys!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Hell yeah, never buy a notebook unless you travel a lot or must bring your work with you. Its one of the few items where extended warranties are a necessity/usually pay off.

SSD hdds should make them somewhat more reliable and much faster. Either way, they'll still fly into pieces if you drop them hard enough...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
It doesn't say where Panasonic Toughbooks rate does it?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Never, ever had an issue with my G5 as it sits at home all day. My powerbook has been around the world a few time over, and looks like it has, it has held up pretty well, all things considered, much better than my older laptops have. But I have still given my extended warrenty a pretty good workout, 2 new sreens, 1 new CD drive, new keyboard (my fault, I wore the keys till the were blank), new latch, and currently it is bent. Not too sure how that happens, but i suspect that because most notebooks are housed in plastic they flx and snap right back, the PB is housed in alluminum so it stays bent, that's my theory anyway.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I want to get an IBM laptop. I like how the have the roll cage and that shock resistant stuff.

I need a laptop because I take it everywhere with me. Ideally, i would like to have a laptop and a desktop.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I want to get an IBM laptop. I like how the have the roll cage and that shock resistant stuff.

I need a laptop because I take it everywhere with me. Ideally, i would like to have a laptop and a desktop.
Lenovo = IBM

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
I've seen some of the police issued ruggedized lappies. They're burley! I don't think a drop will hurt those much at all... Rubber-baby-buggy-bumpers on all corners and full on steel skeleton to anchor the hinges to. But if I recall, they were pretty pricy, like $3K+...

Edit: they also weigh a TON!

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
yeaa, for the 1500 I paid for my macbook, and the performance and quality it has, it is worth it. repair wise, i have not had any problems with my macbook as of yet, and hopefully apple has improved some of these past problems in the newer macbook

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
It doesn't say where Panasonic Toughbooks rate does it?
We have some at work and they are dammed tough. The downside is they weigh as much as a desktop.:biggrin: But if you put a laptop in a patrol car it better be able to pass the samsonite gorilla test, because you never know what's going to happen to it.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Nice.

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, you know.
Every single issue I have had with a notebook has been caused by me droping, siting or, and generaly abusing it. Is that a design flaw? Not saying there aren't problems with Apples, I'm sure there must be, but all laptops no matter the brand get broken because of how they are used. Not in denial, I know exactly why my things break, and it isn't a design flaw, it's user error that would break any laptop. My dad is a PC guy and uses Dells he travels a lot for bussiness and has the same issues I have, laptop is constantly getting broken, and his desktop is 4 years old and has never had an issue. I don't think it really matters what brand it is they break, not a design flaw, just the market driving the manufacturers toward lighter notebooks at the sacrafice of durability.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Every single issue I have had with a notebook has been caused by me droping, siting or, and generaly abusing it. Is that a design flaw? Not saying there aren't problems with Apples, I'm sure there must be, but all laptops no matter the brand get broken because of how they are used. Not in denial, I know exactly why my things break, and it isn't a design flaw, it's user error that would break any laptop.
So, the specific issues you have had, have been because you abused the notebook, therefore Apples have not had any design flaws with their laptops.

Gotcha.

Apple, like any other manufacturer (and possibly moreso), has had plenty of issues with their laptops that are design flaws, not just normal wear and tear.

Have you been keeping up with the potential cracking Macbook issue? Or maybe you heard about the white Macbooks that were extra prone to staining? Possibly the issue with the Macbooks overheating and shutting down?

None of these make them bad notebooks, they're just growing pains, but saying things like, "They didn't have design flaws, it's the market's fault for demanding lightweight notebooks" is just fanboy worship-talk.

I've used and supported a ton of Thinkpads, including the uber-lightweight ultraportables, and none of them seem to have cracking cases unless the user drops them down a flight of stairs or runs them over with their car (both of which I've seen happen :disgust: )

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
BV you must have missed the second part of what I wrote. I'm sure there are design flaws, there are always design flaws with everything, I just havn't experienced any of them. Not owning a MacBook I don't know nor pay attention to what issues they may have. The statement about light laptops was a statement about the entire computer industry, not Apple alone. I don't beleive there is a way to make a sub 6lbs laptop very durrable, moving to flash based hdds would help, but at that weight you simply can't build in much durrability. I don't know anybody who wants to carry around a 12lb notebook, would you? even if it was absolutly durrable, and wouldn't break. It's just like XC frames, a well designed 3lb frame simply can't be as strong as a well designed 10lb frame, it simply doesn't work like that. The way I uderstood the initial post was that all laptop break, and that it doesn't matter which one you get it will have issues. If I understood that correctly then my first statement is true, it isn't design issues from a particular company, there just isn't a way to make a durrable notebook yet, so all of them are essentially flawed.

Are you saying that the Macbooks have issues, and that the Thinkpads don't? They probably don't have the same issues, but I'm sure that just like Apple products they have their fair share of issues.

I'm not an Apple fanboy, I just much prefer the OS, and unfortunatly I don't have a choice of what machine to run OSX on. With Windows based machines you can pick a model of laptop wich has issues that won't effect you, and if the flaws don't effect you then you have yourself a trouble free laptop.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BV you must have missed the second part of what I wrote.
I don't think I did:

I don't think it really matters what brand it is they break, not a design flaw, just the market driving the manufacturers toward lighter notebooks at the sacrafice of durability.
Are you saying that the Macbooks have issues, and that the Thinkpads don't?
No, but the post in question was a hope that Apple has improved on their past issues with their notebooks. They have had (and continue to have) design flaw issues with them in the past. You said that you don't think Apple notebooks have design flaws, and that it's just an inherent problem with all lightweight notebooks. I disagreed.

None of this last post even remotely represents your original statement. Now you're saying that they do have design flaws, but that everyone does.

I agree, all manufacturers have problems one way or another. I have witnessed Apple having a higher-than-average share of design flaw problems with their products. That's all. I'm not saying IBM is perfect with their Thinkpads, just that Apples in general seem to be more prone to physical problems with their electronics.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Nobody can say without the raw numbers but its unlikely any brand is tied before rounding. The chart is rounded but ranked and displayed correctly - ie 16.132 16.423 17.212 17.473 hypothetically.

As the title says, "All Laptops Break. Period." Which is the point of his post.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Nobody can say without the raw numbers but its unlikely any brand is tied before rounding. The chart is rounded but ranked and displayed correctly - ie 16.132 16.423 17.212 17.473 hypothetically.

As the title says, "All Laptops Break. Period." Which is the point of his post.
Yeah one would think that would go without saying but everyone seems to love stats. I had a Toshiba that never needed repair, it even survived the last couple months of Deyv and Isa's trip after their Dell died. On the other hand my GF's Mac has been in for repair twice. Although the first time was because she dropped it and the second time was because she spilled wine on it :D

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Stats can show the best picture if collected properly. Marketing or personal anecdotes have no real value if you want to know whats really going on.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Lol!

One of my objections to the over purchasing of notebooks it that they break more often than desktops, cost more than desktops, and at the same cost have a lower performance.
But can you take your desktop with you commuting on your bike to school? If so, I want to know what kind of messenger bag you are using:biggrin:

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
I have witnessed Apple having a higher-than-average share of design flaw problems with their products. That's all. I'm not saying IBM is perfect with their Thinkpads, just that Apples in general seem to be more prone to physical problems with their electronics.
None of these make them bad notebooks, they're just growing pains, but saying things like, "They didn't have design flaws, it's the market's fault for demanding lightweight notebooks" is just fanboy worship-talk."

Dude, please don't tell others that they are fanboys etc... when you cannot say a single good thing about Macs. When I see you with a brand new iMac in you hands, then we will talk buddy...

Apple would somehow save the world from an evil, long and painful death and you would still hate them. Are you the PC guy in the PC Mac ads?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
None of these make them bad notebooks, they're just growing pains, but saying things like, "They didn't have design flaws, it's the market's fault for demanding lightweight notebooks" is just fanboy worship-talk."

Dude, please don't tell others that they are fanboys etc... when you cannot say a single good thing about Macs. When I see you with a brand new iMac in you hands, then we will talk buddy...

Apple would somehow save the world from an evil, long and painful death and you would still hate them. Are you the PC guy in the PC Mac ads?
The pool here is very deep, and you are not wearing your water wings.

Please be careful.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC

I'd respond to this, but you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. At all. Not one single word in that post is correct or worth responding to. Not even your little joke at the end, considering the PC guy in the Mac ads is a longtime mac user, from several interviews he's had :rolleyes:

So... That's really all I have to say on the matter. Thanks for playing. If you'd like to have a proper discussion on the subject, you can either ask me what my stance is on Macs or read up on my previous posts on the subject, and we can talk about it.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yeah, Ive already had my macbook in fr a warranty heat issue. So they have an "average" amount of "repair" issues. If that's the worst "dirt" you can dig up on apple, Id say they're doing pretty good.

Obviously the fundamental Mac vs. PC debate will continue, but its really still stupid. People just like what they like. So some of its marketing, some of its actual clever design. Get over it fanboys and the rest.