Quantcast

You can ride while its snowing at a resort

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
yeah it totally looks fun. I've seen some cool pics of guys bombing runs and actually doing some little jumps. It looks like it'd be really easy to catch an edge and go down though. Also I've seen some pics of the skies breaking the drop outs on forks. It'd be super cool to bust out in the park on one of those.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
yeah...the SID would not be my first choice to apply a few G-forces to at the slope. Donovan from Alpine Ski Center got to take one off the mountain at Snowshoe...he said the speed was hellishly fast. He's a Pro skier and if he says they're fast...I can't imagine what I'd think they were.

Also, he said you get about 1 ride down the mountain before ski patrol goes Soprano on your ass!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
are those skis tubeless compatible and can i get them in a 3.0 and rootbeer paint job?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
bizutch said:
Also, he said you get about 1 ride down the mountain before ski patrol goes Soprano on your ass!
what they start singing praises in high pitch voices?

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
saw a video of those a while ago of a guy on a bmx frame, a hardtail with a bomber on the front and a super 8 with a boxxer throwing down huge in the parks and slopes. tailwhips leftand right and a backflip if i dont recal

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Devin Lenz (Lenz sport) has been trying those lately -- I've gone up with him several times. They're awesome except for a few things:

-The skis are WAY too skinny.
-The front ski can rotate (the springs don't do crap) all the way up and completely mess up a turn -- it'll put you down in a pile of snow in an instant.
-If you run a seat, it completely messes with the handling... I've been riding a Crighton Snowmoto (www.crighton.com) for two years now... the seats are low, and are used for leverage while standing (You'll want to be standing if you're jumping, etc.) more than anything else. They definitely have all of the handling issues addressed.
-At this point, the WinterXbike kit is simply a way to convert your bike into something that'll get you down a snowy mountain... this means that it handles best when you're sitting down, and that just looks goofy IMO. Plus, it isn't very good for jumping, etc, since you can't stand and keep decent handling.

Just my $.02. I'm doing an apprentice dealy at Lenz, and he's planning on making a ski-bike specific frame... Hopefully I can have some input when it comes to handling and setup. I'm sure you'll hear/see about it sometime in the near future.

Here's a little vid. of the Snowmoto in action -- it's my:

Super-unoriginal-Synopsis-teaser-copy-of-snow-bikes-with-way-too-much-slo-mo. :D (It was my first time with the video editing program... what can I say?)

http://www.snowpics.net/view_single.php?medid=3000

(click the "video" icon after you open this link... right click, save as.)

OGDMFG

Monkey
I Have A Customer Who Own A Snow Bike Company,he Has Been Building For Some Time, A New Bike, So You Don't Have To Use Your Existing Rig. He Has Three Different Skis To Choose From.

Check Out
Gearytechnologies.com

Later.
J

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I would like a shorter ski or board in the front and a snowskate size snowboard in the back. It would be more stable and easier to jump.

Ohio_Huck

Chimp
May 15, 2005
Cleveland Ohio
im a skier, and am really into the mechanicals of what makes skis work (from building custiom twin tips) and im always thinkin about how to make a ski bike really work.

for one, a fat, front ski would be a must, more stable, and more float. in the back, a slightly skinnier ski would be best. now, with a bike, you really have no control unless your on your edges. however, they make reptractable fins that mount on top of telemark skis. this would be perfect for keeping a bike trackin straight. now, theres the issue of decent brakes. that is definatly an issue that needs adressed. however, i was also tossin the idea around og makin a ski that mounted around the tire ( so it could still rol, but in turns or powder it would float. ) this would prolbably be the best option, and then you could still ride it around on non snow surfaces.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
When you have to slow down, you could throw a parachute and an anchor. I think the only way to stop is to carve up hill or slide sideway.