Quantcast

You can't dampen my spirit!

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
Two months ago my wife and I welcomed little Makenzie into the world, and life as I knew it officially changed. Gone was the 4 rides a week I used to get in, replaced now with 2am diaper changes and rushing home after work to relieve the wife after a her long day home alone with the babe. It’s been a challenging but amazing experience that I wouldn’t trade for anything.

For now, I’m allotted one day during the week to ride after work – Thursday. The weather looked good yesterday morning, sunny and in the low 70’s. The Dude and I had planned to get out of work a bit early and hit the trails by 4:30. Mother Nature decided to change our schedule.

348 PM EDT THU JUN 21 2007 THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON HAS ISSUED A TORNADO WARNING FOR... TOMPKINS COUNTY IN CENTRAL NEW YORK UNTIL 445 PM EDT AT 340 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO... IF YOU ARE IN THE PATH OF THIS TORNADO...SEEK SHELTER IN A BASEMENT OR AN INTERIOR ROOM...AWAY FROM WINDOWS.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON HAS ISSUED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR... TOMPKINS COUNTY IN CENTRAL NEW YORK UNTIL 445 PM EDT AT 336 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING NICKEL SIZE HAIL...AND DESTRUCTIVE WINDS IN EXCESS OF 70 MPH. IF YOU ARE IN THE PATH OF THIS SEVERE STORM MOVE TO SAFE SHELTER NOW.

So, our 4:30 start time looked a little risky.

I’ve been following this interesting Ridemonkey thread about the changes your life takes once you have a child.
As for friends.....you can expect a significant portion of those who do not have kids or are married to just kind of fade out of the picture for a bit. You'll find out who are really good friends by their willingness to still maintain ties even though your life may not be able to include them as much as you used to.
This is the predicament of being allotted one day a week to ride. I was going to ride, come hell or high water…and it looked like I might get that. But the question was…will I be riding solo, or will The Dude be joining me despite the crappy weather?

That’s what I thought.

The big storm came and went, and by 5pm it was looking pretty ok so we hit the trails. Everything was wet and slippery as expected, so we stayed off the main trails for the most part and aimed for the “abandoned” side of Shindagin Hollow State Forest. Things started nicely.

The newts were loving this weather…they were everywhere.

Nothing like riding TTFs when they’re wet. Steer clear of the newt!

Heading to the top of the first climb, it started to get a little dark out.

Just as we were ready to hit a nice mile-long descent, the skies opened up. REALLY opened up. Downpour, hail, and some nice blasts of thunder & lightning. Had to stash the camera, but we zipped down the slippery descent being pelted by hail along the way. That’ll get your heart pumping!

After a solid 15 minutes of rain, the clouds parted and on we went. The road ahead looked inviting.

Playing in the puddles at a cool swampy area of the forest.

The trails got a really cool eerie fog after the rainstorm, and set up some cool pictures...

This is one of those rides you remember for awhile…where the conditions and the company defined a sweet ride, not necessarily the singletrack of the ride (though we did manage about a dozen miles). This most certainly called for some post-ride brews.

Treated to some nice scenery on the drive home too.