Quantcast

You cheap bastards (x-post from Farkin.net)

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
"I can't remember what it is called, but sites employ tactics to get search engines to rate them higher than other pages, and also for their page to appear in results for searches on similar things...

...in my internet browsings, I noticed this one:

http://www.canfieldbrothers.com

Press ctrl+a to see what they've done. Talk about nasty tactics and bad manners.

This is something Googles search algorithm attempts to avoid,but it still sucks in alot of other search engines.
Anyway, I was bored, and though I'd point it out to the online MTB community. Personally I think it's a bit poor on the webdesigners behalf, and I hope it doesn't reflect on the companies operations in general."

Pretty lame. Basically like trying to push in in the queue.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Huzzah for cheap internet tactics... this was taken from IRC when I asked about it
"<Rik> what's this called... when a webpage has heaps of hidden text to skew search engines to link to them?
<Ross> cheating?
<Strange1> ****ED"
Webgeeks hate it, and understandably so!

As long as it isn't a reflection of the rest of the company...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I don't have such a problem with it when they're relavant keywords, but frankly, putting competetor's brandnames into your website so yours will pop up when they get searched... That's pretty lame.

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
LOTS of sites do it, not just bike ones. It's nothing new. Usually, if you go to edit > view > source you will see that...

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
That's kinda funny. If you use the google tool bar to search it has a function that will search for the keyword you typed. Really useful if the page is all text and your trying to find the relevant info. When you click "downhill" it highlights the hidden text.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
binary visions said:
I don't have such a problem with it when they're relavant keywords, but frankly, putting competetor's brandnames into your website so yours will pop up when they get searched... That's pretty lame.
lame and kinda brilliant at the same time.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Jeremy R said:
lame and kinda brilliant at the same time.
People do it for Ebay auctions to

You type in Marzocchi and get all these Manipoo and Rockshox and everthing else (and vica versa)

2002 Rockshock boxxer *NOT Marzocchi Super-T Monster Jr-T**not Manitou Dorado sherman* and so on.

I understand why they do it....maybe you can catch the eye of someone not looking for your product specifically. But might consider it if they know about it.

Alteast they hide in on their screen I never know about the Ctrl+A. That freaked me out! :D

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
That is lame, it is so easy to just throw everything in a meta tag and 99% of people wouldn't be the wiser.

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
Google doesn't search meta tags. It searches text within the body of the code. That's one of the main reasons that it's so effective. It's also why tactics such as this are kinda ****ty.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
he, I typed downhill into the search box on google and walmart was one of the sponsored links. Now what does walmart have to do with downhill?

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
good grief.

astix. HA! kinda defeats the purpose if you don't spell your """competitors""" names right, eh?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Kornphlake said:
he, I typed downhill into the search box on google and walmart was one of the sponsored links. Now what does walmart have to do with downhill?
Dude, I'd totally race the Mt. Snow nationals on one of those NEXT full suspension bikes... It'd be killer through the yard sale :thumb:

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Kornphlake said:
Maybe they the sell "Downhill Domination" video game?

-ska todd

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
chromegoddess said:
good grief.

astix. HA! kinda defeats the purpose if you don't spell your """competitors""" names right, eh?
Oh, you're right it's Asstricks - sheesh.

Actually, I don't have a problem with them trying to optimize their site. Sponsored links and key words are expensive and relegated to the downhill super powers like Wal Mart. If you are a small bike company trying to get traffic without a budget for advertising, this is a legitimate form of promotion (IMHO). Search engines are getting smarter all the time so this will be less and less effective over time. By the same token, the Canfield site will come up sooner than Wal Mart and Ezone because it is a legitimate Downhill related site unlike Mountain Bike Holidays in France which does show up.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Threepointtwo said:
Oh, you're right it's Asstricks - sheesh.

...If you are a small bike company trying to get traffic without a budget for advertising, this is a legitimate form of promotion (IMHO)....
nice spell check 3.2.

**..guess it all just boils down business as usual, rider owned company or stockholder ruling corporation.

edit: snip snip. my intial post was terribly misunderstood. no harm intended.

D

Dingus McGee

The thing that makes Google legit is that they are constantly changing their algorythms (sp?) to combat various forms of hit pumping. It's a cat and mouse game. EVERYONE who cares about their SE ranking does it in some form or another.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
binary visions said:
:stupid:

edo-chan

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
sunny Gresham
Welcome to the internet.

You might think it sucks, but wait until nothing other than cash rules search engines. Imagine the day you type "downhill mtb" for a search and get nothing but links to Wal-Mart or whatever movie is coming out this week.

As has been pointed out, the same technique is in full force on ebay. There are better methods, but I don't know them; I know a guy who does though, and he'll hook anybody in need up for $400 an hour.

I was hoping the Canfield brothers were kinda innocent due to their having paid to have their site made for them....but if they're paying for that site I feel sorry for them.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I guess i dont understand the fuss. Maybe i was asleep in my internet morals class. Arent there are more important things to worry about in this world than someone hiding keywords in the front page to get better results.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
i will say this in defense of the canfield brothers... at least they don t come on this and other websites self promoting their stuff...

support is support, but blatant self promotion equals nothin more than free advertising...

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
partsbara said:
i will say this in defense of the canfield brothers... at least they don t come on this and other websites self promoting their stuff...

support is support, but blatant self promotion equals nothin more than free advertising...
There goes your chances for free t-shirts and stickers...... :thumb: :D (i agree BTW)

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
partsbara said:

So...what are you trying to say? ;)